Performance Our High Performance area

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:29 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Re: Gas Mileage Test 5 speed vs 6 speed

Thanks for the info, this is helpful. I've started looking into changing out my 4 speed for a 5 or 6 speed. A lot of people are steering me towards the 6 speed, did not realize it would make a 6 mpg difference. For me it's mainly the RPM's. My longest highway trips now are 20 minutes, just don't want to listen to the 427 @3200 rpms for longer than that.

Just wanted to add, one of my son's drives a car with a 5 speed and one drives a car with a 6 speed. I drive these cars regularly. When I drive the Chevelle and start going thru the gears, I always keep shifting as if I had at least a 5 speed. It seams natural, especially when your in 4th at 40 mph.
-SS454- likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

Play around on this will make your choice easy
Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

My 66 gets 12mpg (my setup is in my signature below). When I calculated it, there was no highway driving, just stoplight-to-stoplight driving around town. I hardly ever drive it on the highway, but with 3.42 gears and no OD I don't expect it would be any better on the highway.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 12:01 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 SuperSport View Post
Thanks for the info, this is helpful. I've started looking into changing out my 4 speed for a 5 or 6 speed. A lot of people are steering me towards the 6 speed, did not realize it would make a 6 mpg difference. For me it's mainly the RPM's. My longest highway trips now are 20 minutes, just don't want to listen to the 427 @3200 rpms for longer than that.

Just wanted to add, one of my son's drives a car with a 5 speed and one drives a car with a 6 speed. I drive these cars regularly. When I drive the Chevelle and start going thru the gears, I always keep shifting as if I had at least a 5 speed. It seams natural, especially when your in 4th at 40 mph.
Go with the 6 speed, it is too hard to choose between just one OD gear and I couldn't imagine just having one since both have their purpose.
I will say it feels natural to have a 5 or 6 speed in the car. You have just the right amount of gears.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gene

BTW, that was a cool video.
71350SS and -SS454- like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Are those license plate gas doors lightened by drilling holds? Gosh.
haha yes.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 5:58 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
That's awesome. Now that I hit my goal... curiosity makes me think what I could do to hit 20 mpg.
good video, your results match exactly what I seen on race week and locally for the same speeds

My Beaumont at the same speed gets 18mpg steady with a 3.73 & 0.63OD . it is a 502 @ 4100lbs all in with driver. I run mine at 14.5-14.7 afr with about another 5 degrees of timing.

My old mans Camaro (3800lbs) with a LSA motor and TKO with 0.68OD overages 21mpg. 3.73 gearing. He runs the stock GM computer so its pretty well setup obviously.

Buddy Rich in red deer with the angry goat GTO gets 20-21mpg with a 517 Pontiac BB @ 4100lbs all in with driver, he has the 0.50OD gears in his t56.

my findings were as the speed went up, with the RPM, gas mileage dropped. When cruising at 85mph down south I was down to 12-13mpg, maybe even more. Ultimately gas mileage is driven by your RPMs, within reason or the confines of the motor. With the 3 examples above and yours included, HP is not the determining factor in MPG, efficiency and RPM is the driving factor. Obviously a full on race motor will not operate at 1800rpm and see the MPG.

I am toying with the idea of changing to a 0.50 OD gear in my T56 over the winter. Try and achieve +20mpg at highway speeds. my fear is that the motor will not cruise well at 1500rpm @ 70-75mph, well see how the new ZZ502 cam works... especially on boost!
427L88 likes this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Where is 69-CHVL Vince ?

I'd like to know what he gets out of his 502- T56 ?

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

depends how its cammed....last week I was going maybe 50ish? rpm in 4th was fine but seemed like I should upshift do I did, engine wasnt happy
Easy to get used to late model stuff loafing along.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

It was a cool video, but not a fair comparison. Five speed, six speed, it doesn't matter. It comes down to RPM and final drive ratio. I'm not surprised the 68 did worse. It had what, 800 RPM disadvantage with taller rear gears and barely any overdrive. I'd bet it would do a lot better mileage wise with a TKO600 with the .64 5th gear instead of .82. A good baseline would have been a road trip with both cars never going past 4th gear at 1:1, just to see how close they really are. Still cool as hell seeing you get out on the road and have fun though.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:03 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
It was a cool video, but not a fair comparison. Five speed, six speed, it doesn't matter. It comes down to RPM and final drive ratio. I'm not surprised the 68 did worse. It had what, 800 RPM disadvantage with taller rear gears and barely any overdrive. I'd bet it would do a lot better mileage wise with a TKO600 with the .64 5th gear instead of .82. A good baseline would have been a road trip with both cars never going past 4th gear at 1:1, just to see how close they really are. Still cool as hell seeing you get out on the road and have fun though.
Thats what they were trying to show.
The 6 speed has the option to lower the rpm where the 5 speed doesn't.
bry66 likes this.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post

Not that 5 speed, but other 5 speeds would. The TKO-600 has two overdrive options, .82 and .64. It was an apples to oranges comparison, but the number of gears is irrelevant. If someone was trying to decide between a 5 and 6 speed for mileage, the video only shows that higher RPM in overdrive is worse for mileage. The 5 speed .64 TKO would be a closer match to the 6 speed in the video, and it would be capable of delivering the same mileage, everything else being the same. Now a 6 speed with a .5 OD would be another story. My point was the number of gears doesn't matter, final drive ratio does.

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:54 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post

Not that 5 speed, but other 5 speeds would. The TKO-600 has two overdrive options, .82 and .64. It was an apples to oranges comparison, but the number of gears is irrelevant. If someone was trying to decide between a 5 and 6 speed for mileage, the video only shows that higher RPM in overdrive is worse for mileage. The 5 speed .64 TKO would be a closer match to the 6 speed in the video, and it would be capable of delivering the same mileage, everything else being the same. Now a 6 speed with a .5 OD would be another story. My point was the number of gears doesn't matter, final drive ratio does.
Number of gears matter. Sometimes you can't use that 0.63 because it's too high where the the 0.82 would be just right.
That's why the 6 speed matters. You always have a hear you need to effectively increase mpg.
The tko is a compromise besause you can't have both and it depends on how you drive where you REALLY need to figure out which gear is what you need. In my case if I had the 0.63 I would hardly ever use it. With the 0.82 I would use it a bunch BUT give up mpg on the interstate. The t56 has both and can do anything you want it to, which is why I picked it instead. That's why it's important.
Now does it matter in these cars? Not really. But it's interesting to see.
71454Chevelle likes this.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 1:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

With a well chosen 1st, 5th, and rear gear ratio, I humbly disagree. I've had both and prefer the 5 speed. In fact the T5 had the best gear ratios of any manual I had. I preferred it over the T56. It's a matter of taste I guess. My plans for my 69 are for a tko-500, 3.36 gears.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
good video, your results match exactly what I seen on race week and locally for the same speeds

My Beaumont at the same speed gets 18mpg steady with a 3.73 & 0.63OD . it is a 502 @ 4100lbs all in with driver. I run mine at 14.5-14.7 afr with about another 5 degrees of timing.

My old mans Camaro (3800lbs) with a LSA motor and TKO with 0.68OD overages 21mpg. 3.73 gearing. He runs the stock GM computer so its pretty well setup obviously.

Buddy Rich in red deer with the angry goat GTO gets 20-21mpg with a 517 Pontiac BB @ 4100lbs all in with driver, he has the 0.50OD gears in his t56.

my findings were as the speed went up, with the RPM, gas mileage dropped. When cruising at 85mph down south I was down to 12-13mpg, maybe even more. Ultimately gas mileage is driven by your RPMs, within reason or the confines of the motor. With the 3 examples above and yours included, HP is not the determining factor in MPG, efficiency and RPM is the driving factor. Obviously a full on race motor will not operate at 1800rpm and see the MPG.

I am toying with the idea of changing to a 0.50 OD gear in my T56 over the winter. Try and achieve +20mpg at highway speeds. my fear is that the motor will not cruise well at 1500rpm @ 70-75mph, well see how the new ZZ502 cam works... especially on boost!
G force's 6 speed has a 0.54 6th gear, that'd be pretty sweet. I think in most applications, a 0.50 gear is too high, unless you run a ton of rear gear.

I find that 60-65 mph is the mpg sweet spot, at 75 mph my fuel efficiency reduces.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in