Jarad

Nice improvement. Next year's plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 8:27 AM

Re: Couple of new best for 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
No runs,no drips and one error, I think it knocked some teeth off the ring gear or pinion. I haven't opened it up yet. The car moves but feels like it has a flat tire.
See you in a few weeks?

Brian
Did the ring and pinion match your smile?????!!!! Monk made me say it!!!!!!

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 8:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
What have you done to lighten the car? Is that 3602 without the hood?

LOL, I haven't ran a hood since 2012 Brian and I road trip'd to Glasstek this year and purchased hoods but I haven't put mine on yet. I'll give ya a weight run down;
-Initially I started removing as much as possible; Hood, Fender wells, Windshield wipers/washer unit (washer reservoir is now rad overflow), Front sway bar, Front & Rear Bumper braces, Radio and installed very light 2000 Corvette seats. At that time it had a TH400, stock 12 bolt rear w/right air bag and weighed 3470 w/driver.
-The next couple years, I added a full cage (less the engine compartment front bars), a Dana S60, 4" aluminum driveshaft, Spohn ARB, 2.25/2row alum radiator, tunnel ram & 2 carbs and it ended up weighing 3660.
-This year I did the Wilwood street front caliper conversion and removed the exhaust (-40lbs exhaust and -20 front drum ass'y), then did a 4-corner scale; 3602 lbs for 2019.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 9:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post

My Mama taught me; if you're going to throw someone under the bus, get as many passengers as possible-

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
My Mama taught me; if you're going to throw someone under the bus, get as many passengers as possible-
HaHa....everyone's a comedian

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 9:40 AM

First round at PRI is on Brian!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
Nice improvement. Next year's plans?

Thanks! You know how this disease is, always thinking of things to do/try. The engine is being pulled as we speak. Going to give it a once over (again). I have to relocate this ridiculously stupid Milodon oil pan drain plug, which is impossible to remove while in the car. I forgot to do it last year when it was out. I'm thinking of doing motor plates and notching the crossmember for a future diaper. I picked up a complete rack & pinion set-up and Mezier electric water pump, ready to install. I like the reliability of a mechanical pump but in the heat of the summer, at the track, I'd like to be able to cool the engine between runs instead of letting it sit there and heat soak. I have to address my header/collectors. They're the removable type with the 2 tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to fasten them together. It is a horrible design and I'll go as far as saying dangerous which I think is evident by NHRA's tether rule. When they're new, everything is tight and all good, but over time they rattle around which causes wear and movement, then the tabs break and the collectors fall off. I've rewelded mine half dozen times and now the pipes are so loose I use wire to hold them up to the trans crossmember. Brian jokes about being able to see the coat hanger in my wheels up pics Remember the episode where JJ da boss's Ole Heavy shot out its collector and hit that woman? I'm truly surprised anyone still uses this retention system.

No major engine improvements per se, but last year on the dyno, this engine had some blowby, I think it measured a 4.5 but not sure what that number references. CFM, inches of pressure??, all I know is the dyno guy didn't like it. So last winter I horizontal gas ported the pistons and took them over to Line-to-line for their coating. This year I did notice less oil being pulled into the exhaust evac tubes and a little more stable oil pressure so it did help. This year I bought a Star vacuum pump to try and hope to see even more oil control and possibly a little HP. I'd like to try a different intake and some type of carb scoop. My ultimate goal for this combo is 9 teen's but that might be a stretch.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
LOL, I haven't ran a hood since 2012 Brian and I road trip'd to Glasstek this year and purchased hoods but I haven't put mine on yet. I'll give ya a weight run down;
-Initially I started removing as much as possible; Hood, Fender wells, Windshield wipers/washer unit (washer reservoir is now rad overflow), Front sway bar, Front & Rear Bumper braces, Radio and installed very light 2000 Corvette seats. At that time it had a TH400, stock 12 bolt rear w/right air bag and weighed 3470 w/driver.
-The next couple years, I added a full cage (less the engine compartment front bars), a Dana S60, 4" aluminum driveshaft, Spohn ARB, 2.25/2row alum radiator, tunnel ram & 2 carbs and it ended up weighing 3660.
-This year I did the Wilwood street front caliper conversion and removed the exhaust (-40lbs exhaust and -20 front drum ass'y), then did a 4-corner scale; 3602 lbs for 2019.
That's still very impressive. My car is like 3765 without driver and a full tank of gas (22-23 gal) on my drag tires. If I did some things that you have done I'd lose;

Front sway bar -18 lbs
Bumper brackets I assume -16 lbs
Front inner fenders -9 lbs
Hood -60 to 80 lbs
Exhaust -86 lbs
Aluminum heads -60 lbs

Even after all that, I think I'd still be close to 100 lbs heavier haha. Do you have an aluminum block?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
That's still very impressive. My car is like 3765 without driver and a full tank of gas (22-23 gal) on my drag tires. If I did some things that you have done I'd lose;

Front sway bar -18 lbs
Bumper brackets I assume -16 lbs
Front inner fenders -9 lbs
Hood -60 to 80 lbs
Exhaust -86 lbs
Aluminum heads -60 lbs

Even after all that, I think I'd still be close to 100 lbs heavier haha. Do you have an aluminum block?

Nope, it's an over-the-counter Gen VI 502 block, but aluminum would be cool. Any weight removed from the front is a good thing. I forgot to mention, I did remove all the the heater stuff but then added 2 Optima's in the trunk. Don't know why it's not heavier, maybe there is a lot of Bondo under the 30 year old paint.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 2:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Nope, it's an over-the-counter Gen VI 502 block, but aluminum would be cool. Any weight removed from the front is a good thing. I forgot to mention, I did remove all the the heater stuff but then added 2 Optima's in the trunk. Don't know why it's not heavier, maybe there is a lot of Bondo under the 30 year old paint.
Are you running a stock fuel tank? Do you know how much fuel was in the tank when you weighed it?

For me, I always weight it with a full tank to keep it consistent. My tank is 52 lbs and 22 gallons of gasoline is about 143 lbs.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
No runs,no drips and one error, I think it knocked some teeth off the ring gear or pinion. I haven't opened it up yet. The car moves but feels like it has a flat tire.

Brian

I feel your pain! My second rear blew the side gears. Tore half the teeth off of both gears, and somehow I was able to drive it home VERY slowly. I didn't break anything this year! I still don't have the engine back in it yet.

'69 Chevelle SS (Back to NOT ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 8:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Are you running a stock fuel tank? Do you know how much fuel was in the tank when you weighed it?

For me, I always weight it with a full tank to keep it consistent. My tank is 52 lbs and 22 gallons of gasoline is about 143 lbs.

I have a 12 gal aluminum fuel cell, not sure what it weights but it's light. My first 502 engine didn't have a fuel pump provision so I went with the cell & electric pump set-up. What the car looses in tank weight, it picks back up in fuel pump, regulator, 12AN lines, fittings, etc. I typically have about 5 gals or less of fuel at the track. Man, your car is heavy!

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
I feel your pain! My second rear blew the side gears. Tore half the teeth off of both gears, and somehow I was able to drive it home VERY slowly. I didn't break anything this year! I still don't have the engine back in it yet.

Mark, half the fun of this sport is working on it. Are you having fun yet?

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Mark, half the fun of this sport is working on it. Are you having fun yet?
Yes...have been working on the house! hahaha Just got done sanding my white oak floor, and the wife is a little upset because the, lighter than air, dust went all over the house. I just got $750 worth of red oak for making my trim, but at least it is cheaper than car repairs. My shop is for woodworking right now, so once I get all that cutting and sanding done, I can clean it all up to switch to car stuff again. The fun just never stops! WooHoo!!!

'69 Chevelle SS (Back to NOT ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in