Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Re: Couple of new best for 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mike View Post
Stall converter?
The convertor is a Coan 8" maximum performance unit that was spec'd for my 730hp 502 and currently running it untouched for this build. With the 502 it stalled around 5100, with this 540 I think around 5600. I don't have recording capabilities and it's hard to watch the tach with the wheels up in the air At the 1/4 mile rpm's used to be around 7000 with 92" circ slicks and I haven't run it 1/4 mile yet with the new 89" circ radials.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1/4 mile
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
The convertor is a Coan 8" maximum performance unit that was spec'd for my 730hp 502 and currently running it untouched for this build. With the 502 it stalled around 5100, with this 540 I think around 5600. I don't have recording capabilities and it's hard to watch the tach with the wheels up in the air At the 1/4 mile rpm's used to be around 7000 with 92" circ slicks and I haven't run it 1/4 mile yet with the new 89" circ radials.
My Converter acted the same way. I don't even remember which engine combo it was adjusted for, but it kept working better and better the more power I threw at it.
Monk likes this.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 5:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

What valve springs and how long do they live?
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
My Converter acted the same way. I don't even remember which engine combo it was adjusted for, but it kept working better and better the more power I threw at it.

It does seem that way. Finding a good convertor is like finding a good carb; don't get rid of it.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
What valve springs and how long do they live?

Foxwell put Pac 1224 on it and they've been on it for about 3500 miles now. One broke initially but when I sent it back to Pac for inspection, they said it most likely had a flaw because it just shouldn't have broke. I check them regularly with an on head checker and the pressures seem to be holding up well. When I change them out, I'm going to go with the Pac 1324. They say this is a better spring for endurance.

Have you had any spring issues? Also, how did that scoop work out for you. I've been running individual filters and think they're hurting it slightly on the big end.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 8:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

My first springs didn't last too long, they started to fade. Not way out of spec but down on the seat/open. Spoke with Chris, he sold me a set of 1326 at cost. The car picked up in MPH and ET with this change.

Would guess those filters hurt performance. I made 2 changes when I added the scoop. Not sure it's worth much. Would like to try a couple elbows. I've seen a buddy's car pick over a 1/10 with an elbow. Watched another buddy buy a lexan scoop and gain no ET.

Next season I will be on a radial like yours. Going with a glide was a mistake on my part. Doubt it ever leaves like your Chevelle.

Like to see you get in the 70's...
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
My first springs didn't last too long, they started to fade. Not way out of spec but down on the seat/open. Spoke with Chris, he sold me a set of 1326 at cost. The car picked up in MPH and ET with this change.

Would guess those filters hurt performance. I made 2 changes when I added the scoop. Not sure it's worth much. Would like to try a couple elbows. I've seen a buddy's car pick over a 1/10 with an elbow. Watched another buddy buy a lexan scoop and gain no ET.

Next season I will be on a radial like yours. Going with a glide was a mistake on my part. Doubt it ever leaves like your Chevelle.

Like to see you get in the 70's...
Good to hear you didn't have a spring mishap.

I was thinking of trying one of those Lexan scoops for the track, don't know anyone that's used them. The K&N filters I have are designed to be run in a scoop and don't use the typical K&N filter media, it's more like a fine screen. You can almost see thru them, but I'm sure they're not helping with straightening out the air flow without their scoop. I'd like to do something to pickup the mph.

I'm impressed with the radials so far. They're working better than any of the 5 different slick I've tried. Go .70's !!

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Went out to Lapeer Dragway Wednesday. We were fighting a constant 30 mph direct headwind. I tried the trans brake @ 3000 rpm's. It abruptly popped the front tires up and then blew the tires off. Too much shock for these rear Strange DA's to control. I can't lower the 2-step any further because the engine doesn't like it and will actually stall. I'm sure I could mess with the carbs but it might effect its street-ability. Anyways, went back to foot braking and managed 1.31-1.35's and a '60 on the back tires with a 1.41 when I shifted 2nd in the air. No video of it but given what the previous runs were, I'm confident this was the rear tires. Honestly, I enjoy the initial hit more than the rest of the run. I think they should start a new racing class; 60 foot only
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-23-19.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	606316  
Kirk's67SS likes this.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dale

Chipping away at it, another Personal Best ET in the full quarter mile. Last time out for this year, -300 DA, 10 mph headwind. Previous 1/4 mile best was 9.46 last year, so a full 1/10 quicker. It might have done even better but there were a group of street tire cars that showed up that just destroyed the start line. One of my runs, I was behind a guy that literally did two 30 second burnouts, 3 dry hops and 3 starts before he went down the track. It was entertaining but their tires left a bunch of rubber "balls" on the track from their burnouts, and it toyed with my radials.

Brian & I finally got to line up together but as fate would have it (or luck depending on perspective), his car broke the ring & pinion right off the line. To his credit, like a hero, he drove the car down the track broken. I think it netted a 30 second run

Looking forward to next year...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lapeer 11-3-19.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	608718  
Wolfplace and DragRac69 like this.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 2:24 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

(:Brian & I finally got to line up together but as fate would have it (or luck depending on perspective), his car broke the ring & pinion right off the line. To his credit, like a hero, he drove the car down the track broken. I think it netted a 30 second run

Really you had to go and kick me while I`m down next year will be different
By the way your car ran I don`t think it would have mattered

Brian

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 7:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Quote:
Chipping away at it, another Personal Best ET in the full quarter mile. Last time out for this year, -300 DA, 10 mph headwind. Previous 1/4 mile best was 9.46 last year, so a full 1/10 quicker. It might have done even better but there were a group of street tire cars that showed up that just destroyed the start line. One of my runs, I was behind a guy that literally did two 30 second burnouts, 3 dry hops and 3 starts before he went down the track. It was entertaining but their tires left a bunch of rubber "balls" on the track from their burnouts, and it toyed with my radials.

Brian & I finally got to line up together but as fate would have it (or luck depending on perspective), his car broke the ring & pinion right off the line. To his credit, like a hero, he drove the car down the track broken. I think it netted a 30 second run

Looking forward to next year...

Did Brian leak 90 weight down the track?

72 Monte Carlo (3865 lb Street/sStrip Orange Monster)
6.09/113.75 mph 1.32 60 ft.
9.634/141.50 mph-best pass

79 Trans Am Super Street, Top Eliminator, Super Pro , Quick 16, Hot Rod
5.25 eighth mile
8's quarter mile

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 7:37 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BBMonte View Post
Did Brian leak 90 weight down the track?
No runs,no drips and one error, I think it knocked some teeth off the ring gear or pinion. I haven't opened it up yet. The car moves but feels like it has a flat tire.
See you in a few weeks?

Brian
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Thanks guys. It's a great feeling when things start to come together.
Some specs on the car;
We scaled it last Wednesday, 3602 w/me in it and 50.99% front to back. There are other numbers but not sure what they mean.
TH400, 4:10 Dana 60, Rears Strange DA full tight ex & comp, Fronts Calvert 90/10.
Straub/Foxwell spec'd 540, 10.25:1, lives & races on pump gas.
Scat, Engine Pro and Mahle flat tops.
Heads started life as angle milled AFR 315's, now Foxwell smiled on, around ~337, port entries untouched, 2.325 custom Foxwell valves, flow ~400 @ .800 but carry well out to 1" and per Foxwell; "ports are nice and smooth and stable".
Old Victor Ram only fluffed & buffed, 2-1050 Holley Gen3 Ultra dominators and if nobody caught it; 2-1050's on a tunnel ram on a 10.25:1 engine, foot braked.
Attachment 606072
What have you done to lighten the car? Is that 3602 without the hood?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
No runs,no drips and one error, I think it knocked some teeth off the ring gear or pinion. I haven't opened it up yet. The car moves but feels like it has a flat tire.
See you in a few weeks?

Brian

Looking forward to it, if we run into Erica Enders this year I need to follow up and ask her for a picture! Get some pictures of us also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in