Has anyone bought an engine from Shafiroff or PerformanceUnlimited - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone bought an engine from Shafiroff or PerformanceUnlimited

I am looking to buy a new turn key Chevy Big Block engine, I can just drop in. Has anyone purchased an engine from either Shafiroff or PerformanceUnlimted? If so, what is your feedback, good, bad, or ugly? have you had any issues? I'm looking at there 540's, about 625hp. I won't be racing it. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Has anyone bought an engine from Shafiroff or PerformanceUnlimited

See my signature.
77 cruiser and blue_69_malibu like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 2:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Wait for a few others to post, there are better options out there as stated above. VortecPro is one of them. Since you didn't post your location, no way of knowing who might be closest. Two of the approved vendors on here ship their engines, Good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I have a close friend that uses Shafiroff SBF long blocks with great success.

If i was in a situation where I wanted to buy an engine I would consider them.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

A good friend of mine recently bought a Shafiroff 406 small block Chevy and he is very happy with its street/strip performance.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 3:25 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

I bought the 540 short block from shafiroff ,but have not run it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	605780  
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 12:16 AM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds

My buddy in MD has a 65 GTO with Shafiroff 540/740hp, hyd roller, street car, 400 turbo and 3:73 rear. He's had it in there for at least 7-8 years; runs STRONG and hasn't had any problems with it, all he does is change oil. He doesn't abuse it, but runs it when he's out. I'm not sure how many miles on it, but I'll find out. Either way, he's very satisfied with it, and would do it again.

That being said, I have a VortecPro 496 in the works.

Bob
mr 4 speed and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 2:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Off the shelf engines pre made, usually have the cheaper combination of parts, from what I have seen listed. The personally built to order from the builder will take a little longer, but will be made to your specifications, and with your budget in mind. In my opinion also more attention to detail, there are scores of builders out there. Mike, and Mark both have proven track records here.
DUKE 69 and Steve R like this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 6:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I lived close to Shafiroffs on Long Island for years. I use to see a lot of their engines in cars at the shows. I never herd a negative thing about them. Great reputation for a strong fast motor.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 7:18 AM
Tech Team
Durand

They make a nice product. Buddy just got a 423 SBC from them. They will also build to order.

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

I agree, Scott Shafiroff and Performance unlimited are not in the same category. Shafiroff is a proven race engine builder who ran Pro Stock, was one of the pioneers of nitrous grudge racing and Top Sportsman/Pro Mod racing. I also lived on Long Island, my friend was a machinist for them, the shop I worked at did some machining on their overflow stuff and many other people including Tony Mamo worked for Shafiroff at one time or another.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 9:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

We can build you one at Straub Tech. It will be built for you, to your specs, to meet your goals, not a mass produced "crate engine" already sitting on the shelf. I would advise you do more research outside of this forum before you buy. Talk to your prospective builders, get a feel for them and what they will do for you and stick with whoever you're comfortable with.
blue_69_malibu, Kirk's67SS and BTK like this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

My friend got a Shafiroff 540" that made over 850 HP then stuck a 400HP hit of nitrous to it in 2 stages.
Big tire 69 Camaro said he found his limit of acceleration when he had it set up as a single 400 HP hit.
He told me as soon as it launched all he could think about was.... I want this ride to be over.

He ended up selling the engine and now runs a 454" that he built and same 400 HP nitrous and the car runs the same ET.
427L88 likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 9:49 AM
Tech Team
mark

I have a Shafiroff 582 in my T-Bird. My dad knew Scott and Vinnie from back in the day, so the decision was easy. I had long conversations with Vinnie before I pulled the trigger on the 582. Great guys to work with, and they will build to your needs. Yes they have "crate engines", but they will work with you on your exact needs.

Also, if you have never driven a car with a big cube, all aluminum Big Block Chevy, you are missing out.
the heckler likes this.

1969 Chevelle
412 small block
M-20 4spd
4:11 12 bolt

1957 Thundarbird Gasser
Aluminum Shafiroff 582
Richmond 5spd
4:33 59 Olds rear
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 5:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

540 I had built was pretty much a copy off the Shafiroff 540/715 except I used a GMPP Sportsman Block, set of ported Dart 310 heads, Eagle crank and rods and Mahle pistons. It's really all about attention to detail in finish machining and assembly. Personally, I wouldn't settle on the 540/625 version. If you want to be "down" around 600 HP there's not much reason to run a 540".
Andrew Wile likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in