Performance Our High Performance area

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Carb for Stan's Mutt...

The mutt...1970 Chevelle clone SS
454, .030 over, '70 model LS6 rec. port heads, big valves extensive porting. Guessing 10.1 compression maybe a tad less ...Comp cams N+LS6 solid lifter cam
part #11-671-4. Turbo 400, 2800 stall conv. , 3.31 gears, 245/60-14 BFGs,

Going with a vacuum secondarys for sure... need opinions for "specific carb." with cfm and part numbers if possible.

Thanks...Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Re: Carb for Stan's Mutt...

I guess I should have metioned the engine dynoed [email protected] rpm and 499 ft. lbs torque (forgot rpm for torque)...with a non tuned Holley 850 double pumper. (other than air mixture)
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 3:57 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I'd run a 780/750 Holley. Good enough in 1970, good now.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 4:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I agree with Tom of its only street driven.
Holley 750 3310 or a 770 Street Avenger.
Stan's Customs likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 4:33 AM
Tech Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan's Customs View Post
The mutt...1970 Chevelle clone SS
454, .030 over, '70 model LS6 rec. port heads, big valves extensive porting. Guessing 10.1 compression maybe a tad less ...Comp cams N+LS6 solid lifter cam
part #11-671-4. Turbo 400, 2800 stall conv. , 3.31 gears, 245/60-14 BFGs,

Going with a vacuum secondarys for sure... need opinions for "specific carb." with cfm and part numbers if possible.

Thanks...Stan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
I'd run a 780/750 Holley. Good enough in 1970, good now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
I agree with Tom of its only street driven.
Holley 750 3310 or a 770 Street Avenger.
I agree, shouldn’t be too hard to find an old 780 vacuum secondary. If you’re not patient, or can’t find one, pick up a used 3310...looks almost correct.

Proving every day hindsight is 20/20.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Early 3310 "EH" or 3310-1, use a later 3310 base with the PCV port in the back (for the early EH unit).
vortec710 and Stan's Customs like this.

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on Facebook
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 11:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I love my 750 vacuum secondary. It actually has a base plate from a List 4555 so it is 780 cfm.
Works great!!

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

I have a 770 Ultra Street Avenger...for my wife's chromed out GTO custom 400 engine, runs great. But it's kinda gaudy for a stock looking engine bay.

I'll have a dropped base air cleaner..and the engine was dynoed with a RPM Air Gap and a 1/2 inch spacer. Not sure if the hood will close on the 70 cowl hood(no flapper)yet...engine isn't installed.

Looks like this: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-86770BK

My machinist likes 850's...I'm not so sure. But considered this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80531?
seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZrlhLyd5QIVSr7ACh1V 6AXyEAQYASABEgJPGfD_BwE

I dont see a 770 in the Dichromate finish which would probably look better on this stock engine well.

I don't think the Mutt cares if it has a shiny or a dichromate carb hidden under it breather...so long as it hauls A$$ and is well mannered.
427L88 likes this.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

For those that have late model Holleys, "and" the old carbs that we had back in the day...are the new ones as good as old carbs?
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 1:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
I have a 770 Ultra Street Avenger...for my wife's chromed out GTO custom 400 engine, runs great. But it's kinda gaudy for a stock looking engine bay.

I'll have a dropped base air cleaner..and the engine was dynoed with a RPM Air Gap and a 1/2 inch spacer. Not sure if the hood will close on the 70 cowl hood(no flapper)yet...engine isn't installed.

Looks like this: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-86770BK

My machinist likes 850's...I'm not so sure. But considered this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80531?
seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZrlhLyd5QIVSr7ACh1V 6AXyEAQYASABEgJPGfD_BwE

I dont see a 770 in the Dichromate finish which would probably look better on this stock engine well.

I don't think the Mutt cares if it has a shiny or a dichromate carb hidden under it breather...so long as it hauls A$$ and is well mannered.
Quote:
For those that have late model Holleys, "and" the old carbs that we had back in the day...are the new ones as good as old carbs?
If it was me I would stay away from that 850. All that tries them including myself seems to have problems with them.
Just use a 3310 than.

I have used several 3310’s the last ten years on different BB’s and feel the quality is as good as in the older ones. I use to convert them to 4150 with holleys kit https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ts/parts/34-13

I like the hex bowl screws over the older ”screwdrive” version.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Whats a 4150 (without reading the book)? ...or the advantage of converting to one?
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Whats a 4150 (without reading the book)? ...or the advantage of converting to one?
it adds a rear metering block with jets (like a double pumper-hence the 4150 designation)
The 3310 comes with a metering plate and a fixed hole that is the equivalent of #75 jet if I remember correctly.

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 2:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Ok...you can fine tune the rear feed as well.

Were the early 780s rear jetted? or fixed feed.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 3:05 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

I have had several 454s recently that I've converted over to Edelbrock thunder avs2 in the 750cfm configuration with great success. I was a tried and true Holley guy for years, but just got tired of messing with them to really getting them dialed in.Annual boosters in these new Edelbrocks really improved throttle response 100% over any 780cfm holley I have ever tuned. Bolt on and go for the most part with some choke tuning for colder climates.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 3:08 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

The new 770 street avenger is not calibrated the same as the old 780. The 780 had dog leg boosters, the 770 has straight leg boosters. I would go with a Quick Fuel HR780 or SS 780. But then relocate the IFR to the lower position on the metering blocks, change the emulsion to 2 open instead of 3 or 4 as they come, install transfer slot restrictors in the main body for primary and secondary side of .081". Then tune from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in