Intake Manifold Question... - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 7:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Intake Manifold Question...

I may be getting my engine refreshed. My current intake is Professional Products Crosswind. It has been nothing but a leaky thing since shortly after I got this engine (oil leaks). I am considering getting a different intake, but I am noticing that none of the small block intakes have the divider cut down on the standard ones - only the air gap models. Is there a reason for this?? The only one I have seen that has the divider cut down that is not an air gap is a Jegs branded one.

Does the divider cut down not have any effect without the intake being taller?? How much would I be giving up by going to one with a full divider?? My problem with the Edelbrock RPM air gap intake is that the water ports are angled - my current intake has them pointing straight up, which works well with my 1971 small block heater control valve. If I get the Edelbrock version, I will have to source a heater control valve for a 1970 Chevelle small block, I believe (they were inline off to the side close to the fender well).

If anyone has any ideas on this one, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I don't know if another brand of air gap type intake would be okay - the Dart ones don't get good reviews (poor castings). Anyone tried the Trick Flow intake??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...make/chevrolet

Here is the standard one from Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/5130...791+4294829484

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:30 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: Intake Manifold Question...

On Motor Trend they tested 4 different dual plane manifolds. Here are the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manifold Test.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	605092  

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Where is the intake leaking?
I have Hurricane for 13yrs and sealed/seals fine.
I wouldn't worry about the divider not being milled down.
You could always plop a .5" spacer and call it a day.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
Where is the intake leaking?
I have Hurricane for 13yrs and sealed/seals fine.
I wouldn't worry about the divider not being milled down.
You could always plop a .5" spacer and call it a day.
It leaks oil everywhere. No matter which gaskets I use - or sealant I use on the bolts - the floor of the intake is always oily. It doesn't happen instantly, but over time it just gets worse. I've been running a 5/16" insulator to give me clearance for the power brake booster fitting on the intake (probably no longer necessary with the Edelbrock, but the Speed Demon fuel bowls are pretty big).

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:34 PM
Tech Team

Cutting down the plenum divider can show substantial power gains depending on the combo. The one bad thing is you may have to cross jet the Carburetor.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Substantial power gains, in the UPPER RPM range only, not in the drive able areas of lower engine speeds.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Did that and regretted it....can reduce the signal to the carb. Like dave said where youre driving it is where you want it to act right. You wont feel any power gain upstairs by putting a notch in it. Lot of these vids on yt are sponsored...selling parts. And WOT means nothing when it comes to driving.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:34 PM
Team Member
George

You might take your existing intake to a machine shop and have it checked for straightness. The last three intakes I've used (SBC Performer RPM, BBC Performer RPM Airgap and Performer 400 Ford) were all warped where the intake meets the head. The bb pass side was leaking oil into the runners and burning / fouling plugs. The sb was leaking between the runners. The 400 Performer I took right to the machine shop and it was out also....

A little machine clean up might be all yours needs.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
You might take your existing intake to a machine shop and have it checked for straightness. The last three intakes I've used (SBC Performer RPM, BBC Performer RPM Airgap and Performer 400 Ford) were all warped where the intake meets the head. The bb pass side was leaking oil into the runners and burning / fouling plugs. The sb was leaking between the runners. The 400 Performer I took right to the machine shop and it was out also....

A little machine clean up might be all yours needs.
Once I get my engine out and to the shop, I will have him look at that. I don't mind keeping it, as it works with my whole setup. I would just like to not have any leaks.

On the off chance that my intake is no longer usable, has anyone used the Trick Flow air gap intake??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...make/chevrolet

Last edited by WakkoWarner; Yesterday at 4:23 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 7:06 AM
Senior Tech Team

Get whatever fits best. There isn't enough of a HP difference to ever notice it on the street.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in