Gene's new MJ 468 up and running in Ol' Red - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 3:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Gene's new MJ 468 up and running in Ol' Red

Fired it last night, but finished some final plumbing at 0630 this am, so I could take Old Red out for a drive before work.

First off, it fires off easily w/o a choke ( have Mark's race Qjet on it temporarily).

Second, backing out of my driveway, up an incline, was always a "clutch feathering" challenge with the old 427. Ha! The MJ 467 thinks its a friggin Duramax. No bucking, no issue, hardly any throttle opening. 600 ft lbs will do that.

Dont ask about performance after 10 minutes of cruising ( still have to "metal mate" the clutch with some miles first), but what I can say is, the firing of the beast was completely drama free. ( well OK the new drop base wont fit Mark's Qjet, my white headers are now "blems", had to rig a coat hanger for throttle as I had nothing to fit the ball on the carb, I nearly burned the new speedo cable through - again, etc - all user issues, not build issues. )

Sounds and feels quite different from the 427, even thru the same 2" Hookers and 3.5/3" exhaust. Sure, i've limited it to 6500 rpms ( until I get a 6400 or 6300 chip), so it wont be a spinner, but the low end is measurably different. I'd rather have the TQ than the ability to pull the stick at 7200 rpms, which was the whole point of the upgrade.

Additionally, the 2.98:1 1st gear of the M23Z and the 3.31 CF code axles are plenty of gear for this beast. That was evident immediately. Idle is still high as the carb is still in Colorado mode ( 1200 rpms or so ) Very keen to see vacuum at 950 rpm idle. Suspect its all of 14" Hg. Also suspect the "baby cam" wont idle too rough, just like an old original muscle car ought be. Will set idle tonight work after timing it to 36 total, and correcting a small leak at the thermo housing ( crappy gasket's fault I believe). And then more "SEAT TIME"!

Ps, I've never seen an accelerator rod sticking out as high as it does on this race Qjet. Holy moly! Got pump shot? HECK YEAH!

Design goal met and exceeded! ( well, lets see if it'll propel Old Red to over 116 mph in the 1/4 or 90 mph in the 1/8. )

THANK YOU MARK!
David Bates, TW, von and 22 others like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Oct 9th, 19 at 7:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Help with new crate engine overheating

So the cubes made that big a difference then? What cam and head stuff did you do?
Love to see a clip of it running. It will be hard not to do a BB once I get a little something in these shallow pockets.

That "part throttle" passing thing is just the cats azz on the street do miss it. Fun hearing someone next to you winding it out whne youre part throttle....then hit it and disappear. lol

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 4:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Well done....

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

I didnt think I posted this.... the thread title is from another thread! WHOOPS! I had it cued up but...... mods, could you please ditch this thread?

maybe I am going insane.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 7:05 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

you want to lose this thread or something in the other one? I can edit the title of this one if you want.

BTW, your Q is on my bench now. waiting for a correct throttle body gasket to come in.
LeoP likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 7:09 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

with that torque monster MJ engine and 2.98 first gear you could run a 3.08 or even a 2.73 rear just fine.. make happy cruising and and a lot more usage of your car.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 7:12 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Gene's new MJ 468 up and running in Ol' Red

Gene, changed the title to something more appropriate.

post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 7:28 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Congratulations Gene! I bet you canít wipe the smile off your face!

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 8:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I think you overheated, and fogged up your glasses, yeah, that's it

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 8:28 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I'd be overheated if I had that thing.

Hey Gene, how much to put me in your will for that car?
427L88 likes this.

post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 8:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Congrats Gene! I know you have been waiting for this for some time (did that ride to Ohio with me help cement the deal?) You will never be sorry and you will never have to look back and question what you did ( I sure don't!) After 4 years, I still can't believe how great my MJ engine is and has been. Have it, my friend and have fun!

Duke
427L88 and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
So the cubes made that big a difference then? What cam and head stuff did you do?
Love to see a clip of it running. It will be hard not to do a BB once I get a little something in these shallow pockets.

That "part throttle" passing thing is just the cats azz on the street do miss it. Fun hearing someone next to you winding it out whne youre part throttle....then hit it and disappear. lol
Cubes and cam , and with the cam came heads expertly ported to mate precisely with that mid lift cam. Not the easiest thing to do with old GM irons. Complete systems design with an eye towards "port torque", I believe as David Vizard would call it. ( i think!)

So far, all I know is that "port torque" is going to save some wear on the clutch backing up the driveway.

Also, it ought move the relatively heavy A body with street gears rather well.

Thanks for the move Tom. I wasnt drinking too much, or smoking that funny stuff, simply multitasking too fast at the office between work flow.

Had my 12 hour shift today, so no seat time , but I was lucky enough to clear the decks off for some time off Friday for an overdue inspection. Still have some final adjustments to make, install wise, and somehow I really do want to follow clutch break in sort of closely, as I *suspect*, I'm in for rather a surprise when the rear of the Qjet finally sees airflow.

Also, its a full tank of fuel from back in March, so I'll cruise it for that tank. Fresh fuel, fresh oil/filter, and then see what this seeming docile rat barks like when you stomp on its tail!

My buddy , the best tech i know, made me promise to check every fastener on the rear suspension. Ha, I havent had the humility to tell him I still have to retrieve an 11/16 socket stuck on the pass side motor mount bolt, which isnt torqued all the way down yet. Did I mention how much i HATE headers!?
nashville beth and Hotwire like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
with that torque monster MJ engine and 2.98 first gear you could run a 3.08 or even a 2.73 rear just fine.. make happy cruising and and a lot more usage of your car.
so funny, thing, I found when inspecting the 12 bolt and swapping fluid, its not the CE rear end I thought, it truly is a "CF" code 3.31 original posi. ( the original gears were removed for 4.88s when new. ) I bought a set of GM 3.07(8) gears from mr 4 speed to have to put to back to original. When I mentioned this to Mark, he said he would prefer to build a peanut port 467 to run the 3.08s. I told him I'd keep the 331s ( and now I know its correct), and he said with the 3:1 first gear , the oval port heads ought run the gears fine. ( i mean that ol' drag racer would prefer 4.56s I'm, sure ) .

Lord willin' and the creek dont rise ( which it can in MD, I've seen it), we'll see how well Old Red runs those gears with his new heart transplant at Cecil County next year during the MCC show. Hoping to get a few 1/8 runs in, but I have only Halloween weekend to do that this year.

For now, I just want to drive it around and be in love again!

THANKS AGAIN MARK!

Tom, you have to talk to Jake or Donny ( our sons) on that will thing. It used to be whomever could properly set the valves could have the car. Now... you dont even have to!

It is ticking a bit, and very well may be the 1967 style slanted valve covers I put on causing interference. I have to get my stethescope out and also check for any contact inside. Noting major, not even harsh. But more than the Crower steels doing their job I think. No issue UNLESS there is rocker/VC contact. I'd want a little tickey-tock screw machine cacophony if its normal.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 11:00 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Fingers crossed....but if that's one of Mark's 600/600 468 motors, I think you'll EVENTUALLY trap at 120 or so in good air.

I don't think you'll break a sweet getting to 116 MPH.

So....how good are you brakes?
427L88 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

As compared to my daily, they felt really good actually. But all muscle, no power. I'll tell you, bringing it down from 118.75 ( the fastest I 've ever had the car) was a bit of a pucker factor with drums all round. ( even with fancy kevlar/metallic shoes) The new front discs help.

Tony, stopping from 108 last year at Dragway 42 was a sinch. In the 427's defense , its plugs were fouled from me forgetting to ungap them from non MSD use , for a year or so! I swapped them when I got back home and was shameful about it! Easy 30 hp. It should have clocked a 115-116.

BTW, the 118.75 was not with the tripower. As cool as it is, its worth -30-50 hp. well, 30 on the 427, and near 50 on one of Mark's 467s.

I'm geeking out in my middle age, thinking that running a Qjet is just cooler than even a tripower ( @583 hp , that is) . Yet, the builder made me PROMISE to race with the 850 DP on ( it went 118.75 with the 427) , so I'l bolt the big fat slob on there and make sure its running well before I track the car. I'll be bringing the Holley to race with at the Chevelle events, but cruising on the QJ. I'll suffer the 10 mpg ( maybe) to local tracks with the Holley on. I am hopeful we can get the same MPG that the 427 got with the 3X2 on.

But Mark checked NO VACUUM ADVANCE off on the build sheet! I'd like to have him and Dave Ray discuss! I do have the Crane adj unit in Dave's distrib dialed down to , I think, only 4 degrees of vac advance. But I'll heed Mark's advice, until the warranty is up.
LeoP, blue_69_malibu and SSJohn like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in