Performance Our High Performance area

175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 11:55 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Gene's new MJ 468 up and running in Ol' Red

Dance with the Girl you brung, Gene. In this case, that would be Mark.

Listen to him as Luke Skywalker would listen to Yoda...regarding light sabers and advance.

Also, if you can make enough progress in the next few weeks, the Air at Thompson (TRP) can get really good in late October and early November. They race on Saturday mornings until the snow flies. It's a modest drive for you....and while you'll probably have a hard time hooking up, you can see what your trapping at.....before Winter, so you can relish in your new glory over the Winter months.

Also, were it me, I'd run an 870 Street Avenger or a properly sized 3310 on that motor, if you can get the latter to work

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 12:21 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

On my MJ engine, at cruise speeds the vacuum gets up in the 18-20 range. Compared to 13 at idle with locked out timing of 36. Not sure how that compares to other engines. Maybe that high vacuum at cruise is why Mark doesn’t want you running vacuum advance with his engines.

I have ran both an AED 950HO Modified and 770 street avenger at the track with my car. The 770 will run within a tenth of the 950, and 1 mph. But better on the street to let the tires try and hook.
I’m sure with the 850 DP, get the emulsion proper, IFR located in the bottom of the metering blocks, and run some primary transfer slot restrictors along with small enough primary jets and you can get decent economy.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 7:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Good stuff Gene,enjoy the ride and soon the first of many WOT excursions
blue_69_malibu and boyd66k20 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 7:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Nice to see Old Red back in action.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 7:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Help with new crate engine overheating

So, I'm from Rochester, and my mom worked at RPD, dad at Delco. I recall meeting some of the Qjet engineers once as a kid. Irrational reasons to prefer to run a Qjet, at least for daily cruise activity.

I recall one of the engineers saying the Q was " the most elegant fuel emulsifer yet made"
von, 71454Chevelle, LeoP and 1 others like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Gene, enjoy your MJ engine. He builds a fantastic engine. You will be surprised at the track.
427L88 likes this.

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Couple pics of Gene's MJ engine and very cool VIN stamp.

Looking good my friend!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GENEMJ.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	605178   Click image for larger version

Name:	GENEMJ1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	605180   Click image for larger version

Name:	GENEMJ2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	605182  

Last edited by mr 4 speed; Oct 10th, 19 at 9:37 AM.
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:39 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post

But Mark checked NO VACUUM ADVANCE off on the build sheet! I'd like to have him and Dave Ray discuss! I do have the Crane adj unit in Dave's distrib dialed down to , I think, only 4 degrees of vac advance. But I'll heed Mark's advice, until the warranty is up.
My MJ 467 600/600 was also marked no vac adv by Mark. I even have what he said about it on video(picked the engine up from his shop).

Took some flak about it on this board, until I mentioned warranty issue. Called mark and discussed in detail why it was a bad idea, he said nipped ring lands and blown head gaskets.

Nobody else on this board has skin in your engine like you do. Easy to say “run the adv” when they’re not paying the repair bill.

Mine has run flawless for three years now and I’m not easy on it at all.
Mark sure knows his stuff for just being a “dyno hero”.
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
gary

I’m formerly from the Buffalo area. Is Lancaster speedway the 1/8 mile strip you mentioned?
427L88 likes this.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 10:48 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
So, I'm from Rochester, and my mom worked at RPD, dad at Delco. I recall meeting some of the Qjet engineers once as a kid. Irrational reasons to prefer to run a Qjet, at least for daily cruise activity.

I recall one of the engineers saying the Q was " the most elegant fuel emulsifer yet made"
I like my Holley 3310s and Street Avengers....but I'd probably run a QJet as well if I had that type of history/family connection.

Bolt it up and enjoy.

FWIW, there's a guy named Sean Murphy who can build you a killer, custom Q-Jet.
mr 4 speed, SSJohn and CRV CRW like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

We got a guy named Tom Mobely that does a decent job! Plus, Mark has a good friend of his , Harold Bettis, who can build one specifically for this combo. We're blessed with folks who can still work on " the most elegant fuel emulsifier ever designed"!

Gary, yes Lancaster is still here, by a thread its hanging on, and now Empire ( Leiscester) is only 1/8 as well due to the shutdown area. I have a few friends that race in the gasser class there. I hope to be able to join them on the 26th, which is the last day of racing in WNY.

mr 4 speed, NICE PICS! thank you!
mr 4 speed and LeoP like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 11:53 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

I forgot that Tom works on Q-Jets. No offense intended. I'd send my stuff to him in a heart beat.

Gene: You may only be about three hours or so from Thompson Raceway Park. They've been open in November the past few years. I realize it's a haul, but the air there in November can be perfect...or better.

Two years ago, on a very cold November morning, the DA started at minus 69. When my car went 11.99, the DA "jumped" to all of 200.

You'll freeze your b*lls off during these days but it's worth it.
427L88 likes this.

post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Looks great Gene. Curious to find out how the 2 Qjets compare, Harold's vs. Tom's.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Id do what mark suggests....so is it locked out or have a curve on it?
love to have one of his afr headed 700/680tq monsters. For 10k that is cheap
fr8dog likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 3:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

No, it still has a curve, a tight one 18/36 @ 2500 as done by Dave Ray. Dave also put a vac adv limiting plate in, and as I said, I have it limited to the next to last setting, which ought be 4 degrees, but it's not being turned on.

Sometimes, ya just follow orders!
mr 4 speed, LeoP, WHT/73 and 1 others like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in