Team Chevelle banner

Can it go 5.70 or?

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  JBoggs 
#1 ·
I tried to put the Chevelle in the 5.70 range. Didn't happen. Went to a TNT on a packed Friday night loaded with street cars and lifted 4x4's. Made three attempts, the first two the tires started to hook, front end was rising and knocked them off, 2.0 60' on both getting out of it. I just don't think the track was there. 3rd attempt to get down wasn't 100% clean either. Loosened the front rebound 1 click and lowered the rear tire pressure to 13.75. It felt like it chattered the rear on the hit and I shifted to high gear about 6,200 instead of 7,000. Not sure why, maybe it felt a little loose and pushed the shifter forward.

Was testing a scoop and MS109.

AFR Showed about 12.4. Might take a number out all 8 jets? I added 4 numbers in all corners for the fuel.

On-call this week but I'd like to make some more attempts. I'll go on friday for another TNT or Saturday and enter the trophy bracket if the weather is good, the track should be better and I'll have at least 3 attempt including my first round loss. Could buy back in after that too...

I think with short shifting and a better 60' it might just happen? Possibly 1.2X, 3.7X, 5.7X @ 118MPH.

See less See more
#4 ·
with those slicks I would drop to 12.5psi you gain about .5lb on burn out so if at 13.5 your closer to 14 after burn out. if it is knocking them loose after the front end comes up you are getting to quick a rebound in the rear or so it sounds like, that or it is separating too fast. might just be poor track prep though.

#5 ·
You are correct on pressure. I'll usually check after the run too. I'd like to test this with better prep. Many cars that make it down struggled. I'll tighten the rebound in the rear first if acts the same next trip. Thanks.

#9 ·
Do you run tubes in those tires? I used to run the 10.5X29.5 Phoenix tires with Tubes because of the weight and would go as low as 10.5 on them. But also don't forget, it is harder to make gains in the 1/8 mile. Any gain in the 1/8 is worth 1.5 in the 1/4.

#16 ·
Nope! Track was tight tuner wasn't.... 5 hits. First 3 spun badly. 3 new best MPH 1 number better ET. Probably had more fun than all the other losers!

This pass I lowered the 2-step 400 to 4,400 to try and get down. Believe it spun too but made it. Tire pressure was at 13. Solo pass and they made it PT/NT and wasn't expecting that.
This was after I had lost eliminations and in the test lanes.

Cooled the car down and went for another test. I expected PT/NT and it was standard. I remember laughing after I'd already left expecting all three. Tire pressure was 13 and 2-Step was turned up to 4,600.

I can take some travel out of the front (it's 4.5")? Could loosen the front as well? I wanted to race a 5.70 index on a fly paper track in a couple of weeks. Might still try.

#17 ·
That's an excellent mph and a great et. Keep pecking at it and you'll get in the 70's.
I had hit a wall with my junk and lost my way. Last time out ate a powermaster tooth and hacked up some teeth from the flexplate. Our local track hasn't been prepped correctly all year. Many racers have stopped showing up because they don't want to hit the K rails.
I'dbe doing backflips to have your et and mph.
Good job!

#18 ·
I REALLY hate too hear that Dan. That could happen to anyone one of us. It's a big risk we all take especially as cars get faster. You have a badass hotrod, hopefully you decide to get back at it and I'm glad you're not hurt.

#19 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean I literally hit a wall. I meant figuratively speaking with making the car quicker. Sorry for the confusion. But!!!! The way our track has become more work than fun. Their big thing is "grudge racing" which is like watching cars drive down the road. I can see that at the local corner. I want to see car's et and mph. If these guys want no time then don't give them a time slip. With horsepower and a "street" type car, I need track prep which we haven't had for the entire year.

#20 ·
Good to hear! 28 NT is big everywhere now it seems. Seriously fast hotrods, at least this side of the Mississippi. With that and no prep I've seen way too many crashes. Makes me think about stopping.

With this engine combo it went 112 and 6.0 first out. Lash, valve springs, converter, suspension, fuel, timing, scoop, launch rpm, some weight off the front all netted MPH and a little ET. I think it should go a high 5.60 maybe touch 119. Think it should carry better past 7K too, maybe another issue that needs addressed. I've only made 8 hits this year. I just wasn't interested.

Got some ideas to speed up the 60'. Hopefully it happens in 19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.