T56 or m22 or m23 - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 2:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: T56 or m22 or m23

Some claim to use a 85?? 1 ton slave it doesnt have that complex mounting angle? I believe brackets are avaialble aftermarket
Id recommend making a brace or reinforcing the firewall it will flex. Coulda shoulda have to.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 3:04 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Another choice would be the AutoGear "N-24" 4-speed.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 3:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Why not go with the two speed manual since you are planning on racing. That’s one of the beauties of the powerglide, less gear changes means less chances to screw up. That would be especially beneficial if the track has a stick shift only class.

Steve R

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Why not go with the two speed manual since you are planning on racing. That’s one of the beauties of the powerglide, less gear changes means less chances to screw up. That would be especially beneficial if the track has a stick shift only class.

Steve R
I looked into it and they say it is circle track use only. did not find one for drag racing. did find a 3 speed but it is only rated to 350tq so would not last long behind a bbc.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 12:56 PM

I used a T56 for years drag racing. With a 4.56 it was still perfectly driveable at highway speeds, but a quality aluminum driveshaft is a must. Highway driveshaft rpm is nuts with a 4.56!

I used a 4.11/26 inch slick combo, it was terrible. 4.30/26" was much improved, but the 4.56/28" tire was the bees knees. 1.46 60' times and much less shock to the drivetrain. Car went a best of [email protected], LS1 with a 100 shot.

IMO a well setup T56 is a great trans. But man is it expensive. Also, I broke EVERYTHING but the trans and driveshaft. But 6000rpm launches will do that.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 1:32 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

x2 on the T56. I would run from the four speeds. Most are from the 60s and people want lots of money for them. You still have to spend more to rebuild or upgrade and when you are done, you still have a car you cant go anywhere in.

MY 66 came with a TH350 and 331 gears. 70 ish mph was miserable and loud, and I limited it to 30 or 40 miles at a shot. With a TKO 600 and od, I get the benefit of 373 gears and cruising at 70 ish for hundreds of miles. 70 ish means it will keep up with traffic on the interstate in most places I have driven it. For some reason, it appears I would need to rebalance the tires and work out some other bugs to cruise in traffic in South Florida, where traffic moves at a bit more spirited speed. That effort is pending.

No comparison.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 5:30 PM
Tech Team

I just out a t56 magnum in my car.
Honestly the 0.80 5th is the best gear and I'm glad I have both. I took it for a spirited run yesterday and realized I can use 6th at 70 or higher. I can't imagine having a tko600 with a 0.63od.... In my case it would be completely useless.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 8:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Another vote for the T-56.
I'm running a T-56 Magnum with the 2.66 1st gear coupled with 4.56 rear gears and 30 inch tires, it works very well with my setup (see signature below). It launches hard and I have plenty of power in the upper rpms (7k rpm) to utilize the lower gears. The 5th and 6th gear ratios are .80 and .63, which translates to a 70 mph cruise rpm at a little over 2200 rpm. The best of both worlds. Interstate speeds with the 4.56 gears are a non-issue. Using a 3.5" steel tubing driveshaft (paid special attention to having it balanced at higher speeds) so cruising at 80mph is not a problem.
Also, I always hear people say to be careful when choosing a trans with a too low first/rear gearing. My overall 1st gearing setup works very nicely with my engine combo. The lower 1st gear makes it much easier to drive on the street. Easier to get things moving, especially if you have a decent sized cam, larger heads, big intake, carb and an aggressive clutch. First gear is not too short in normal street driving. With tall rear tires it takes a little effective gear out.

Darren
1971 Chevelle
CFM Ported Stage 5 Brodix Race-Rites 310cc
10.5 scr
Ultradyne Solid Roller 256/264 .660/.660 108 lsa
CFM Ported Victor Jr / Pro Systems Venom VX 1050
T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, DFX
12 Bolt TrueTrac, 4.56 gear 33 spline Moser axles
30x12.5 ET Street Radial
525++ rwhp

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
I know I posted before that I wanna put a manual in my 78 malibu, well I found a t56 for around $2k shipped to my door it is a rebuilt upgraded unit. My thought was originally to put a m22 or m23 in the car and just drag race it. But since I like to drive it on the street been thinking about a 5 or 6 speed instead. the price of the 3640 tremetic is crazy vs the other transmissions I am looking at. the other concern is bell housings. the t56 comes with a stock one for a lt1 or gen 1 SBC/BBC I know quick time offers a certified one for around $350 for the m22/m23 but have not seen one for the t56 for under $1k anyone seen one cheaper? any way looked at a autogear 2 speed as well but those are geared more for circle track then 1/4 mile but looked interesting for the price @ $1200 plus bell housing. would be $1750 with shifter and bell lol.
I read a lot and I don't always pay that much attention to what I read, but if that T56 your looking at is out of an LT1 Camaro Or Firebird, there is an issue with the input shaft. I don't remember what it was, but its probably the reason your getting it so cheap. The LS1 T56 is the preferred T56, if I remember correctly. Someone else here may have more information.
David Bates and 71454Chevelle like this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
I read a lot and I don't always pay that much attention to what I read, but if that T56 your looking at is out of an LT1 Camaro Or Firebird, there is an issue with the input shaft. I don't remember what it was, but its probably the reason your getting it so cheap. The LS1 T56 is the preferred T56, if I remember correctly. Someone else here may have more information.
yeah got an education on that myself, as long as your learning your living.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
The reason is the LT1 T56 input shaft is over an inch shorter that the LS1 T56.

I bought a LT1 T56 from a 1995 Camaro and had a friend in a transmission shop tear it down, inspect it and swap in a LS1 input shaft.

Cost me $300 to do that, plus I think the LS1 input shaft was another $160 at the time.

You still need an extended pilot bearing from McLeod to use the LS1 trans, even with the longer input shaft.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:03 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Help with new crate engine overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpaticular View Post
I would be careful of the M23 and drag racing with sticky tires and torque. The weak link will be the union of first gear and the main shaft. I have torn a few up at that point.
Wait, you tore up an M23Z? I've been trying to for years with a 427 and couldnt scratch it. But was only throwing 450 ft lbs at a unit rated for 800. I'm assuming the new MJ bullet with its 600ft lbs will tax the unit a bit more.

Do tell how you tore one up?>

PS, I'm only putting less than 5K /yr on my car so far, so the whole notion of an OD trans was pretty much academic. I opted for the originality and utter bulletproofness of the M23Z over any OD trans. The numbers didnt lie. It would take years to recoup the expense, and I assumed fuel was more expensive than today.
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 3:29 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71454Chevelle View Post
Another vote for the T-56.
I'm running a T-56 Magnum with the 2.66 1st gear coupled with 4.56 rear gears and 30 inch tires, it works very well with my setup (see signature below). It launches hard and I have plenty of power in the upper rpms (7k rpm) to utilize the lower gears. The 5th and 6th gear ratios are .80 and .63, which translates to a 70 mph cruise rpm at a little over 2200 rpm. The best of both worlds. Interstate speeds with the 4.56 gears are a non-issue. Using a 3.5" steel tubing driveshaft (paid special attention to having it balanced at higher speeds) so cruising at 80mph is not a problem.
Also, I always hear people say to be careful when choosing a trans with a too low first/rear gearing. My overall 1st gearing setup works very nicely with my engine combo. The lower 1st gear makes it much easier to drive on the street. Easier to get things moving, especially if you have a decent sized cam, larger heads, big intake, carb and an aggressive clutch. First gear is not too short in normal street driving. With tall rear tires it takes a little effective gear out.
I am going to go to a 4.30--I was afraid it would be too short in first gear but after reading your response it should be perfect with 28.5 inch tall tires.
I decided to stick with my cam.. I just need more gear!
I just need to sell this damn carb so I can order them
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 2:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

passed on t-56 but then did not really have funds for it and want to get more out of debt before next race season.

03 yz85 fun bike.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Have the stock T56 OD its too tall for me
Shaft is a 3" steel Torino piece no whipping so far. Does aluminum make that big a difference?

Have you looked at McCleods 5 spd? Probably outta budget but still.Maybe a trans place has a rebuilt laying around for reasonable $.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in