Mech fan without water pump pilot centering it? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

2Likes
  • 1 Post By cuisinartvette
  • 1 Post By jeff swisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Mech fan without water pump pilot centering it?

Wanting to put a plastic mech fan back on this and use the spal as a secondary on a 200 on/swtich

Have an RCR pulley setup (Jones racing products)...yrs ago I had some electrical work done and the bonehead who owned the shop (motor hadnt been fired yet) had a few too many beers and decided he wanted to hear it...for some reason he felt the need to redo my lash and of course set them all at .030 cold could have choked him.

Long story short he butchered my brackets leaving the need for 1/4" spacer behind the water pump pulley so I have no pilot sticking out to center the fan. Short of hacking this all up with spacers is there anything thats out I could use to mount this?

Why he did this Ill never know.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cuisinartvette; Sep 22nd, 19 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Re: Mech fan without water pump pilot centering it?

I would use these spacers or something like them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgLPMPD_BwE

Then you could have the nub sticking out of the pulley.
If you attempt some other way you could be a tiny bit off without the stuff being centered and ruin the bearing in the pump in short order.
Or it could last a bit and you gain confidence and then at the worst moment it could fail on you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thx...guess Ill have to mess aroudn wtih spacers...I hate half azzed stuff like this, spent a fortune on this system, pullies being sized then tons of hours removing the anodize and polishing it.

Was hoping I could avoid stuff like this by towing the car in with a "doesnt run because" and leave it alone speech. Oh well.

It was already set up perfectly taped the dist hole shut/carb pad etc...guess that wont stop an idiot.

Thanks.
jeff swisher likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Sucks sometimes.. that is why I do ALL my own work.

You would hate my serpentine set up on my 2 sbc engines.
I welded a GM and Ford pulley together to make a water pump pulley that had the correct spacing and diameter I wanted.

Cut and weld.
Nicer if you can buy something to make it work. But I am a tight wad when it comes to spending money on myself.
I usually have some spare time and use it instead of money.
SSJohn likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

At the time I had youth and a business wanted to go all out on this. Most times its factory stuff but saw this and had to have it

Body work and electrical isnt my thing so....the 10 yrs it spent between 2 bodyshops (still never finished) were another saga dram all together.
too many guys with shops that dont know half of what they think they do...this guy had a beat up hobby stock so that made him a nascar expert according to him

Had a buddy do a home alignment job which fortunately came out right as I refuse to let anyone "test drive" it. Once i took it to a tire shop...made the mistake of leaving the keys in it while I stood 10 ft away talking to the owner to tell him just jack it up where it is remove the 1 tire etc. Some idiot hopped in it pulled it into the bay area and before I could stop him high centered the car on the lift arms. Good bye headers.

Rant off, lol.

Quote:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Wonder if Stewart or Edelbrock could make one with a longer snout rather than bubba-ing this up?

Arent there places that rebuild water pumps?

Quote:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 6:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

The Flying Dutchman up in Oregon.
Flying Dutchman Remanufactured Rebuilt Water Pumps Import

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks Ill give him a buzz!

Quote:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 8:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

When you are done make sure the pulleys are in alignment. Thrown belts are a pain.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Roger that, last thing I want to do is have to mess around with these brackets, the idea of fixing this pilot thing sounds more appealing.
Look forward to havinga real fan on again

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in