LS6, Turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear.. was it done?? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

LS6, Turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear.. was it done??

While I'm working on cams and heads for my new to me SS454 LS6 clone mutt, I've been looking at how many LS6's were sold and how they were appointed.

There's "not a lot of information" on the transmissions and gear combinations that were "actually sold" back in the day.

However it is clear what transmissions and gear combinations "could have been ordered".

The question:

Has anyone actually seen and or driven a "as delivered stock" 1970 LS6 454 with and Turbo 400 with a 3:31 gear? (It could have been ordered that way if my research is right)

If so, and was "as delivered" how did it drive and or perform.

Thanks...Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: LS6, Turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear.. was it done??

Yes.

chevellestuff.net/1970/power_teams.htm

Looks like 2.56, 3.07, 3.55, and 4.10 axles were also available along with the 3.31, but don't hold me to that.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Re: LS6, Turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear.. ever drive one?

Ok...thanks John, I knew one could be ordered that way..but have never seen any documentation saying if any were actually sold that way. I should have worded the thread title a little differently.

The real question is:

Has anyone everyone ever ridden in or driven one in person...and how did it perform??

The reason I ask is I have a SS Chevelle with a turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear (bad motor)
I also have a stock new LS6 454 (clone) I could use ...it's never been started waiting to be dynoed for another project (till now).

The combination seems less than optimal...lol> But if they sold them I'm just curious how they actually ran...and if anyone had first hand experience with one.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; Sep 21st, 19 at 12:27 AM.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

There were only two gear ratios available from the factory with an LS6, 3.31 and 4.10.

Steve R
71350SS and CRV CRW like this.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Does anyone know first hand how a LS6 with a turbo 400 and a 3:31 gear drives?
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 9:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have a one owner LS-5 / M-22 that I ordered. Came with the standard 3:31 ( I ordered posi). My LS-5 is not the big Horse like you have...... TRUST ME, The torque of the LS-6 ( Even one that is running BAD ). You will have many moments of tire slippage between the tire and the road surface.
With a big horse, 426 Hemi, SOC, Ford, LS-6. Tire slippage will happen with big torque engines. Will the 70 LS-6 spin tires with a 3:07 12 bolt or a 4:10 12 bolt..................DAAAAAaaaaaaaa
Bob
The 3:31 is the standard rear gear for the 70 Big Block. Its fine for driving.
99% of the folks in the 70s with a big horse under the hood was mashing the gas every chance you would get. I was part of that crowd,,,,Mash the gas and " Show Off "!......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Thanks for the input Robin, very much appreciated.

All you say is true..but what I'm interested in is how the big motor compares to the smaller LS5 engine . I'm know the LS6 will spin the tires. (and a 4 speed and automatic are light years apart...you can always rev it up and dump the clutch if you want to spin the tires whether it be LS6 or a inline 6..lol)

This engine was built for another Chevelle with 4:10 gears and a 4 speed transmission. Then a much nicer automatic 3:31 gear SS came along, and I changed directions and bought it. The car the LS6 is going in will be much better and for less money than I would have had in the first car.
I could change the heads, etc. and make a LS5 out of this engine that we have...and maybe run stronger at lower RPMs. Big free flowing heads need rpms to run hard. ( note: these heads have been ported some too)

Most would say LS5 is the way to go....I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary, and I really hate to spend the money twice to build another engine...since the one I have has just been built at no small expense.

BUT...it would be worse to dislike the combination so much that I would have to pull the engine and THEN rebuild it. It's still at the machine shop now...and now is the time to make changes s if they "had" to be made.

Another little tidbit...the LS6 was not offered with A/C. This one will have a/c ...it's in Texas.
The LS6 cam idles pretty well imho...much better than I would have thought.

So...we're back where started...
I would still be very curious to hear what someone thinks that has driven the LS6 with no gear, and an automatic...

Thanks again...Stan
427L88 likes this.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 11:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

My 70 came from the factory LS5, 400th, 3.31. The original engine was gone when I got it back in 84. During restoration 3 years ago I put in a hydraulic lifter 454 that was advertised as 450 h.p. never been on a dyno to know for sure, but I can torch the tire even from a rolling start with ease. I can also run with traffic at 75 all day. Granted my 450 horse hydraulic 9.5 engine will probably be more tame than your solid 10.5. I think you'll be happy with the setup you have. Just go for it and see!
Steve R and OLDED like this.

70 LS5 convertible
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 11:49 AM
Team Member
George

My little 355 with t350 and 3:31ís ran 12.70/80ís @105 in the 1/4...swapped to 3:90ís and still ran 12.70/80ís @105. I donít think gears make all that much difference other than cruise rpm.
Steve R likes this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
My 70 came from the factory LS5, 400th, 3.31. The original engine was gone when I got it back in 84. During restoration 3 years ago I put in a hydraulic lifter 454 that was advertised as 450 h.p. never been on a dyno to know for sure, but I can torch the tire even from a rolling start with ease. I can also run with traffic at 75 all day. Granted my 450 horse hydraulic 9.5 engine will probably be more tame than your solid 10.5. I think you'll be happy with the setup you have. Just go for it and see!
Hello 12 stones and thanks for the post.

A solid lifter big head engine doesn't have much in common with a hydraulic cam oval port engine...in fact nothing, imho. (and please, no disrespect intended with this statement ...even though could be taken that way).

I have three one ton wreckers from years back...all still run, and all pull hard, certainly would boil tires on a 4,000 lb car. One of them will spin a set a set of dual wheels.

I see that you are in Hannibal, Mo.
I was there for a couple of months back in 1970 with a 1969 SS396 Chevelle, 4 speed, 325 hp.

I was just home from Nam..and Working for Sterling Construction (a highline electrical company) doing repairs in an area that had tornado damage.

I was renting the upper story of an old two story house on the main street about 4 or 5 blocks from the river. (it was so hot, hot and muggy (no A/c) we had to throw our mattress on the porch roof that went across the front of the old victorian house...and sleep outside.

We were always up and gone before daylight...but slept a little late one Sunday morning, after a few beers the night before...to be awakened by young girls honking at us on the way to church...lol.

21 years old...out of the army and my whole life ahead. It was a great year, young and single, a wonderful time in life.

Fond memories of Hannibal, for sure.
davewho1 likes this.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
My little 355 with t350 and 3:31ís ran 12.70/80ís @105 in the 1/4...swapped to 3:90ís and still ran 12.70/80ís @105. I donít think gears make all that much difference other than cruise rpm.
Something wrong with that scenario...must have had equal amounts of tire spin all the way...LOL.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Stan, what exactly are you worried about with the LS6 400, 3.31 setup? I think a hyd roller would be easier to live with than the solid. I wish I would of spent the extra to go that route. But I was in deep enough that I settled for the flat tappet at that point. I'm sure you are well aware of the fact that a full restoration gets expensive. Definitely let us know what you decide to go with.
Steve R likes this.

70 LS5 convertible
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:50 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Without slicks, there's no way I would want to run a 4.1x rear gear with an LS6. I don't have to have driven in a stock one to know. I have driven both a 1970 GSX Buick and 1970 W30 442 with numerically low rear end ratios and automatics. My favorite was the 442.

I did have a Chevelle L79 with 4.10 and 4 speed that was lots of fun.
OLDED likes this.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Hi Mike..

Aww...i guess I'm not really worried about anything...other than not liking the car when done.
I built this engine for one thing and it's gona' be used for another...and I'm trying to justify using it as is anyway.

I'm probably not going to be able to use it as is..but I hate having to redo it anyway. This engine was built right. Bored and pistons fitted, balanced and on and on. I wasn't building a LS6 but an "exceptional" LS6 type clone (albeit 10:1.)

Mr 4 speed has already given me the answer in another thread....heck even gave me some tips on a cam and proper converter.

You have echoed what he said...hydraulic roller.

I started out trying to stop with yesterday's technology...since unbelievable hp and torque can be made with today's strokers and and cam technology...and there is no good place to stop up to 1,000 hp.

So the LS6 454 was the pinnancle back in the day..and I stopped there.

I was just hoping someone actually did have one of the mutt cars or a stock LS6, 3:31, turbo 400 that defied physics and ran in the low 12's "or something".

Then... I could use my solid lifter, ported head, big valve engine "as is" with a good conscience, in my automatic air conditioned car...LOL!!

I know, it ain't gona happen...just hoping for a long shot before I do a tear down....and these were pretty remarkable engines once upon a time.

I'm not into restorations..hence the name Stan's Customs, but I do love era correct or stock appearing cars.

I never left anything stock back in the day either.. Even though this car I have would pass for the real deal...without a build sheet or original engine there's no way to prove it is.

...and that just fine for me. I wouldn't pay a nickel more for a numbers matching car than the one I have. I drive them a lot ...and don't like the way some of them were produced in the first place.

...and yeah I know about the cost of a restoration. Having built a restomod 61 Corvette, I can tell you the cost of building this car pales in comparison to the cost cost of some restomods.

I've had all kinds. Numbers matching, clones and restomods...and I've decided that the only thing that matters is that you "love the car" when your finished...and it helps if people go "wow" when they see it.

After that ...it's just something to obsess about and overspend on. The only thing I do obsess about ...is craftsmanship. My cars are usually like new..and as mint whatever they are.

...and liike Alfred E. Newman sad: "What, me worry?" lol!

Life's too short, I don't worry ...I'm just particular.

Stan
12stones likes this.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Without slicks, there's no way I would want to run a 4.1x rear gear with an LS6. I don't have to have driven in a stock one to know. I have driven both a 1970 GSX Buick and 1970 W30 442 with numerically low rear end ratios and automatics. My favorite was the 442.
I did have a Chevelle L79 with 4.10 and 4 speed that was lots of fun.

I have to agree...442's were special..hence their reputation. I rode quite a few miles in a pal's 442, I was really envious .

I may get one some day...just hasn't happened yet.

The car this LS engine was intend for definitely was definitely going to have street slicks...along with headers and no a/c. and a 4 speed. I could still build that car...and just do another engine for this car.

Problem with that is...I'm getting old (71 in December) , and want to spend more time driving than building...not to mention the expense of building two.
12stones likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in