Blower optons, Gen 1 sbc bbc - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 3:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Blower optons, Gen 1 sbc bbc

referring to street blowers not the typical 6-71 out there.

Weiand...Edelbrock, whipple any options out there from these guys?

Not interested in the beldriven ones that whistle and clang (cant recall the mfr) even though they work good.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 9:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Blower optons, Gen 1 sbc bbc

Magnuson or Whipple.
My friend just put a Whipple on a Escalade and said it rips pretty good!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 9:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I think the maggie's have a bypass valve also.
OK, forget the Magnuson. Look's like just LS type engines.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...&product_id=43

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

THanks....whipples look appealing

On roots type stuff in general how reliable are the belts, something you could trust for 1000 miles? Hour or two of hwy driving?
Seen a local guy who has BB malibu, sounds pretty stockish but runs a 6-71 word is its his primary driver.

What about cooling, big difference in normal driving?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

everyone I ever ran was fine, get the good belts like green/gatorback. my last 142 was driven almost daily and raced plus seen hi way use all the time. The cog belts don't slip like the ribbed due but also don't last as long.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I think I read that the whipple has a A2W IC brick also.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 9:22 AM
Tech Team
Rob

All kinds of options when it comes to blowers, just need to be honest with yourself and figure out exactly what the performance goal is. Most late model OEM's run a TVS or screw blower (positive displacement blowers, similar to a roots) and sandwich an air-2-water intercooler between the intake and blower. These set-ups are very reliable, but are also conservative with tune due to warranty and longevity, but can be modified for major power. I own a 2013 CTS-V, its bone stock and drives,...well like a Cadillac, lol. But stab the loud pedal and it'll show its teeth in a hurry. Pretty impressive for a stock vehicle with all the amenities of a Cadillac.

I also have a BBC with a F2 Procharger (centrifugal blower, design is similar to a turbo) Completely different animal. Mine is noisy, hot, obnoxious, 4 digit HP and yes, its fun, but not something you'll drive often. They do make a variety of centrifugal blowers that can be very tame and excellent for street use.

So that's basically it, you have the positive displacement blowers which make the power the second you stomp it, or the centrifugal compressor blower, which softens the hit a little bit, and comes on strong as RPM builds. You just need to figure out which design best fits your application.
71350SS likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 1:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Love the screw blowers, but wallet/head says just get a Weiand 4-71 that will be enough

If I wanted any more Id be better off with a big block but thats a slippery slope. Springs alignment, headers exhaust brackets etc just dont want to get that deep in the car.

If all I get is tire smoke it does me no good

Quote:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 3:47 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

I was debating which direction I would go and before deciding on a old school 8/71 I was looking at these options....

IF was going under the hood street supercharging, I probably go with a one of these Torqstorm centrifugal...

If I was going low profile small street Roots style.... I was going with this TBS unit...

Instead this is what I have:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Inefficent or not theres somethign I love about a roots blower.
I dont think a 6-71 would work out for me no matter how cool they looked, think I will lean towards a 177. Cant stand the sound of the centrifugal...sure they may be "better" but part of a hot rod is sound, thats just me. Id have to tub it wiht a 6-71 just too old to be doing all that. Happy with the 275/50 M/T and the stance/gearing dont want to change it all.
Ialone likes this.

Quote:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
referring to street blowers not the typical 6-71 out there.

Weiand...Edelbrock, whipple any options out there from these guys?

Not interested in the beldriven ones that whistle and clang (cant recall the mfr) even though they work good.

Why no Procharger?

My wife's 383 with a set of Dart Pro1 180cc heads went 9.06 at 151 mph and we really kill power to keep the car at 10.000. D1SC is a great centrifugal blower in my opinion.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Sounds stupid I just dont like the way they sound or look.
That 6-71 is like a big middle finger going down the road, love it lol.

Say if I used a 177 weiand...would I need a crank with a BB snout or just a good 4340 deal?

Quote:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 5:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Oh, thought you wanted to go fast, my bad.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 5:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

10s is fast enough for me. 9s would take too much work to the car, Im not ripping it apart again.

Im in Ca where even appearing fast is illegal and a trip to the pokey.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in