4Likes
  • 2 Post By mr 4 speed
  • 1 Post By Stan's Customs
  • 1 Post By Stan's Customs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Stan's mutt..changing gears, what would you do.

Ok , some of you are in on this already...but I thought I'd throw the question out here too.

The short cut of the scenario is an imaginary car...but will state what I'm dealing with...although by accident

I had the motor already built before I got the car....all balanced and fresh, never run.

So pretending the car and motor are already one unit...what do you think needs to be done too improve the combination.

The imaginary car is a 1970 SS454 ...nice car with a near perfect paint and interior with 14" SS wheels and BFGs

It has a 454 with forged internals, LS6 heads @AB out 10:1 compression that have been professionally ported. A stock solid lifter LS6 camshaft.

It is a turbo 400 car with 3:31 gears and air conditioning.

It has stock cast iron manifolds, and 2 1/2 " exhaust .

I built he motor for another project, and like I said this is an imaginary car. However it is almost exactly what the car and engine would be if I were to combine the two, and I already have them both.

It will be very nice and look 99% stock. (black with white skunk stripes, white interior, buckets, auto shifter and console.)

What changes would you make if you bought a car like this...$ not a real factor (within reason, add 5K for mods if needed or not?).

Thanks...Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 8:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Stan's mutt..changing gears, what would you do.

Swap the cam for a hydraulic roller and get the appropriate stall convertor.
rp930 and 12stones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

I agree with Mr 4 speed on the hydraulic roller. And swap the peg leg out for a posi. Keep it 3.31

70 LS5 convertible

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 10:29 AM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

Agree with above, and I would Add headers...... those cast iron manifolds rob you of easy power across the rpm range. Fairly cheap and easy... and you got yourself real nice street car
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I believe this would be good match for your LS6 heads:
https://www.claysmithcams.com/hr-880...x-of-5700-rpm/

They can also take care of the appropriate roller lifters,springs and pushrods for you.

I would use this for a convertor:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Coan-Racing/2...212-4/10002/-1

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Thanks gentlemen...
I am little surprised and good with no one suggested changing to a 4 speed at least yet. Then I notice that I failed to mention in the first post that I have a 4 speed on the shelf I could use. .That might change some thoughts on this...and I really wanted to leave every option open for those that have contributed.
Don't get me wrong I'm fine with the auto...a 4 speed is just a pretty big change that could be done without too much problem since the new engine has to be installed in this imaginary car. I wish I could edit the first post to add the 4 speed option but don't see a way to do it.

As an older guy...my weakest area is roller camshaft choices. Back in the day, cams were pretty easy to choose (and why I chose the stock solid LS6 cam for this motor to begin with). I should have boned up on cams a little more since hindsight shows that it was not a great choice this day and age.

If anyone has a roller cam that would be a good choice for this scenario, automatic (or 4 speed), a/c etc....it would sure help clear the muddy water for me. I'm pretty sure I can make bad choices all day long,..lol.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Dang Mr. 4 speed...you answered my question before I got it pecked out. Thanks again...
As you already know I'm really impressed with what you have done with your car...
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

With unlimited funds, T-56 Magnum 6 speed, hydraulic clutch, and 3.73 rear gears. You would have to modify the floor, so if it is a nicely restored car, you might not want to cut up the floor. Do the engine mods as mentioned above, but add fuel injection with an in-tank fuel pump. Headers and nice throaty exhaust is also a must in my opinion.

That's a start...

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialone View Post
Agree with above, and I would Add headers...... those cast iron manifolds rob you of easy power across the rpm range. Fairly cheap and easy... and you got yourself real nice street car
Hello Andy and thanks for your post.
I notice in your bio that you have a 69 GTO. I bought a fixer upper for my wife some years back...and she loves it. (she had one as a young woman...and was thrilled to finally have another one 50 years later.

Regarding headers..
I'm in somewhat of a quandry on the exhaust manifolds. These heads have been ported an will flow much better with headers...but they really generate bunch of heat on these hot Texas summer days. Seems like these old cars with LT headers resemble riding in a skillet in our 100 degree plus days. (even after heat isullation measures have been taken).

I've noted that Mr. 4 speed has done some amazing et's with stock exhaust...heck I didn't know it was even possible to do what he's done with stock manifolds.

I was planning on using my LS6 clone engine in a 1969 Chevelle/Malibu with a 4 speed and 4:11 gears till this much nicer 1970 Chevelle came along.
Now the engine is sort of a a mutt (as I call it) for this change of plans.

The jury is still out ...but am getting closer to making a suitable engine for this car without starting all over.
Ialone likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
With unlimited funds, T-56 Magnum 6 speed, hydraulic clutch, and 3.73 rear gears. You would have to modify the floor, so if it is a nicely restored car, you might not want to cut up the floor. Do the engine mods as mentioned above, but add fuel injection with an in-tank fuel pump. Headers and nice throaty exhaust is also a must in my opinion.

That's a start...
Thanks Mark...that "is" a pretty good start..LOL.

I built a '61 Corvette resto mod ...real nice car, but it lost it's old school charm, so I'm staying a little closer to old school on this one (at least for now)

It would make a great car done that way though, and thanks for the post.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; Sep 19th, 19 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in