20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Re: Another cam recommendation. Hyd roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
If you do the MSD dist, order a set of these advance bushings also, so you can run more initial.

Performance Tuning MSD Distributors with the FBO Advance Limiter Bushing Kit. Cure Your Rich Idle Condition

Instead of the MSD Blaster coil, which are prone to failure, look at this one if you want a good cannister style
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0050/overview/
Thanks but I already ordered the other one, and the MSD distributer, should be here today.
This is all the info I have been looking for and it all makes sense. So, I need to make it all come in later, around 3000?

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 5:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
Thanks but I already ordered the other one, and the MSD distributer, should be here today.
This is all the info I have been looking for and it all makes sense. So, I need to make it all come in later, around 3000?
You'll want to change the gear on that distributor. The $2.00 gear that MSD uses is junk.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Nice!! Could use a hair more initial but dont wanna lock it out maybe this is the answer.
OP check your bushings mine had to be rebuilt right ouf of the box. Never again

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 12:13 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

Quote:
No, you need all the timing in sooner. Use a blue spring and a thin wire silver spring. I would get the bushings from FBO, and use the 10 degree one. Leave the vacuum advance disconnected until you can put in the crane adjustable unit, and install the advance stop properly, not like in the crane instructions. The cannister the MSD comes with activates and pulls in fully at too high a vacuum level for most performance engines, and adds too much advance also.
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
No, you need all the timing in sooner. Use a blue spring and a thin wire silver spring. I would get the bushings from FBO, and use the 10 degree one. Leave the vacuum advance disconnected until you can put in the crane adjustable unit, and install the advance stop properly, not like in the crane instructions. The cannister the MSD comes with activates and pulls in fully at too high a vacuum level for most performance engines, and adds too much advance also.
OK, I got the new distributer, now I have to set up the timing curve. Ill have to order the other bushings. So, I want it all in sooner? The distributer comes set up with heavy springs so the timing isn't all in until 5000 RPM, I know that's no good.

TC #54 Gold

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

So, if I use the light silver and the blue spring and the black bushing (18*) and set the initial at 18* that will give me 36 all in? I don't like to use much more than 18 initial because it pings under load sometimes (10.3 compression with iron heads), Where does that make it come in? On the dyno it made peak power at 34*, should I be aiming for that? Thanks, I never tried to dial in a timing curve before.

TC #54 Gold

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 2:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I would start with the black bushing and two blue springs.
Yes it will give 36 total if you det the initial at 18.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 2:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Try to email this guy
[email protected]
He sells 10 and 14 deg bushings/10$ per piece.
If you want 18 initial and 34 total get one 14 and you can sand it smaller so it gives the 16 deg you want.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 6:36 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

Quote:
So, if I use the light silver and the blue spring and the black bushing (18*) and set the initial at 18* that will give me 36 all in? I don't like to use much more than 18 initial because it pings under load sometimes (10.3 compression with iron heads), Where does that make it come in? On the dyno it made peak power at 34*, should I be aiming for that? Thanks, I never tried to dial in a timing curve before.
Set initial at 16, with the 18 bushing that will give 34 total. one blue and thin silver will be all in by 21-2200. 2 blue springs in by 2500. Without running vacuum advance, you want it in sooner. That will maximize efficiency at cruise speeds. The one blue and one thin silver is the quickest combination you can run without the timing bouncing around at higher rpm from my experience at least. 2 blue is not fast enough.
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 1:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

OK guys, you all were right, I have the new distributer and the 4 speed trans in the car and the surge is gone, its a pleasure to drive again. Thanks again. I cant believe I ever put an auto trans in this car, its so much fun to drive with the 4 speed back in it. After all, if its not fun to drive there is no point in having it because I drive my cars a lot.

TC #54 Gold

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 2:50 PM
Tech Team
Adam

Quote:
OK guys, you all were right, I have the new distributer and the 4 speed trans in the car and the surge is gone, its a pleasure to drive again. Thanks again. I cant believe I ever put an auto trans in this car, its so much fun to drive with the 4 speed back in it. After all, if its not fun to drive there is no point in having it because I drive my cars a lot.
What spring setup, bushings, etc did you finally end up with?

1961 Bel Air 'sport coupe' ZZ454/M21
1965 Bel Air station wagon, sbc/th350 (daily driver)
1969 C10 swb, Straub/Foxwell ZZ532, Tremec Magnum Extreme by American Powertrain
(sorry, no Chevelle)
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 9:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley67 View Post
The OP said his timing is all in at 2800.
He then said it surges in 4th gear between 2200 and 2800.
Sure it will - the timing is moving in and out of full advance between those rpms. Iím sure there is no issue after it hits 2800 rpm.
Thereís nothing wrong with the distributer. Itís just set up wrong.
I'm not sure about your theory.

The vacuum advance will be all in and the only part of the advance that might be changing is the centrifugal part of the curve.

But the centrifugal part should be steady at a steady rpm.

So maybe his advance weights are screwed up and not advancing in a smooth predictable curve ?

Oops, just saw you solved the problem.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
What spring setup, bushings, etc did you finally end up with?
I did what "Pockets" above recommended, it runs great and no surging.

TC #54 Gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in