Performance Our High Performance area

18Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 9:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

quiet mufflers upgrade ?

509 bbc
780hp . currently running 3 inch xpipe 3inch xlerator mufflers [18 inch case] then 2 1/2 tail pipes over the axle out the back.i want to change tailpipes to come out behind tires ,car is a 66.to look more stock.Is there a quieter muffler i could use ? Do i need 3inch tailpipes ? tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 9:41 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Been researching this quite a bit recently. This site doesn’t seem to have any love for Flowmaster mufflers.

I just picked up a used Torque Tech 3” system with 70 Series Big Block mufflers.

Fortunately, the system also has cutouts so I can see if the mufflers are costing a ton of power.

If I was looking for new, I’d check out the Flowmaster 55 Series Big Block Mufflers.

Proving every day hindsight is 20/20.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 9:43 PM
Tech Team

Garage
https://youtu.be/QEBdiW4LbI0

Proving every day hindsight is 20/20.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 9:54 PM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds
Re: quiet mufflers upgrade ?

Walker turbo 17665....22" case..3" in/out; you can adapt the 2.5" tail pipes. I think the 17749 is the same muffler; different number.

There's also a Walker 17236..24" case; they fit fine under GM A-body... these are 2.5" in/out, BUT.., Walker specs show these flowing more than the 3" pieces I mentioned above..

As to whether you need 3" tails...endless debate, but I'd compare 1/4 mile MPH with 2.5 and 3"..that'll answer your question.

I have the 17665 on my 540 with 3" tails/behind tires;..Once you're 200 feet down the road at WOT, they're pretty quiet from outside. I am going to try the 17236 sometime next six months to see noise levels and try to get some mph numbers..

Bob
hydro462 likes this.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 10:18 PM
Tech Team

There is a guy who races a 70 Chevelle SS with a 540 that runs high 9's and the car is quiet. He uses 2 spintech mufflers and 2 walker 3" bullets back by the rear fuel tank area. This sucker is quiet.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." Unless there's some strong evidence to disprove it, I'd have to think that stepping down to 2 1/2 inches at the tail pipes is negating the effect of the large diameter of the 3 inch head pipes. Sort of like someone failing to use mandrel bends in the pipes. Your pipes are only as big as your smallest pipe diameter the exhaust gasses have to squeeze through.

Where mufflers are concerned: 3 inches in, 3 inches out.

Having the exhaust exit "behind the rear wheels" is not the best place for perceived interior "noise." Having the exhaust exit all the way behind the rear bumper would be quieter (in the passenger compartment). When my 'Bu's decibel level surpassed The Wife's approval level I added a pair of (straight-through Cherry Bomb) "glass packs" as resonators -- that helped reduce the decibels a byte. Ultimately, I did replace the mufflers. Strangely (surprisingly), I achieved a significant reduction in loudness by re-tuning my Holley following Holley's guidelines. Now the 'Bu runs great and is sufficiently not loud that The Wife no longer complains (Ö about the "noise" anyway).

Rest assured that when The Wife's not in the 'Bu, the loud pedal is still loud!

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

will be waiting for results. im in wisconsin,planning on winter project.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

bob ,where did you find flow specs for walker mufflers ,i looked on website ?
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I use Magnaflow mufflers with a 22" case on my 540 powered 71 Chevelle. It is extremely quiet during cruising and under acceleration.
427L88 and dirtlips408 like this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 15th, 19, 11:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

3 inch Dynomax Stainless Steel case Mufflers #17546 20"case with X pipe and 3 inch over the avels tubes. As for flow, they are straight-through 3-inch pipes. They are most likely one of the least restrictive mufflers on the market. Before this I ran Flow masters. Never again. I was replacing a flowmater muffler about once a year. Either the inlet or outlet tube broke at the welds or the baffle plates in the case came loose and started vibrating around.

They are quite inside the car. Below is a trip with the driver's window half open.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landing_ufw_main.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	603542  
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 16th, 19, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Longest case turbo you can find such as 540 Olds listed
Hve the same Ultraflows as posted above..they sound great, quiter than youd expect but still loud

The 17665??? Above I believe doesnt neck down internally like some of them do
Box is buried in the garage so I cant check

Its for the Dodge Durango, 3 inches in/out offset offset not sure the 17749 is made anymore. I was told yrs ago little by little that line will be discontinued so have them "in case"

Mufflers are kind of apersonal thing, put on what sounds good and dont worry about minute power differences.
Hey if your fav was 15 less just get cutouts? Gotta like it when you turn the key

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 16th, 19, 3:04 AM
Tech Team
Jason

I have the Dynomax 17665 mufflers on my 69 and full 3" exhaust which is a little too quiet for my taste but very nice cruising around with passengers.

69 Chevelle SS
Budget 454, 10.4:1, small valve 781's, Engle hyd cam 244/260 @ .050, .560/.570 lift ICL/LSA 108/108, Performer RPM w/ 750DP
1.75 Dynomax coated headers, Full 3" exhaust with 17665 Super Turbos
700R4 w/10" 3500, 12 Bolt 3.73's, 275/60-15 DOT Hoosiers, 3650lbs without me
Best time: 11.96 @ 111, 60' 1.65 (6-20-2014)
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 16th, 19, 3:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

3" out the back with cut outs, Dynomax 22" straight through mufflers, 454 manual trans 4K lbs. Back to back, hot lap closed vs open 11.56/11.54 do not remember the MPH...

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 16th, 19, 7:16 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Magnaflow 12578

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Unread Sep 16th, 19, 7:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvelle View Post
509 bbc
780hp . currently running 3 inch xpipe 3inch xlerator mufflers [18 inch case] then 2 1/2 tail pipes over the axle out the back.i want to change tailpipes to come out behind tires ,car is a 66.to look more stock.Is there a quieter muffler i could use ? Do i need 3inch tailpipes ? tia
The best: 3" inlet and outlet and 22" long. Quiet and powerful

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...IaAqX-EALw_wcB

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...-anyone-5.html

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in