• 2 Post By CNC BLOCKS N/E
  • 2 Post By steelcomp
  • 1 Post By HPseeker
  • 1 Post By Busted Knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

Lighter pistons and rebalance ,Question?

Hi Guys ,I am just starting to buy some parts to build a blown throw BBC 496 now it is a 10.5cr with a 562grams pistons ,I am planning using inverted dome 9.1cr 532grams pistons

I really want to know if this difference of pistons weight it is a thing to really take care of? ,here in PR , I always balance my motors with the same shop but they are not there any more ,since Hurracaine Maria not all is the same around here and not to much shops from
my point of view to trust .
Thanks

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 6:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Lighter pistons and rebalance ,Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPseeker View Post
Hi Guys ,I am just starting to buy some parts to build a blown throw BBC 496 now it is a 10.5cr with a 562grams pistons ,I am planning using inverted dome 9.1cr 532grams pistons

I really want to know if this difference of pistons weight it is a thing to really take care of? ,here in PR , I always balance my motors with the same shop but they are not there any more ,since Hurracaine Maria not all is the same around here and not to much shops from
my point of view to trust .
Thanks
Javier, based on the position your in put them in and don't look back, all will be fine!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This would be considered a "non-issue" here.
427L88 and fr8dog like this.

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#

Last edited by GOSFAST; Sep 15th, 19 at 6:14 PM. Reason: C
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 6:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

You could buy thicker wall pins and make it very close to a wash...

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 7:28 PM
Tech Team

Run it you will have no problems. I asked my engine builder about that, he said you need to have a lot of weight change to have a problem. Hel before last year I never balanced anything and have only lost one engine in the last 25 years only because I used cast pistons and pushed them a little too far.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 4:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

Thanks for the help ,how a thicker head gasket will affect detonation with more chamber quench ?

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

30 grams difference I would surely balance it, Guys here that say to run it don't have a crank balancer.
BillK and Wolfplace like this.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 8:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

30 grams is way too much to not re-balance.
BillK and Wolfplace like this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 8:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPseeker View Post
Thanks for the help ,how a thicker head gasket will affect detonation with more chamber quench ?
Depending on how much boost you want to run, more quench may be preferable. Not as much an issue as with n/a motor.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 9:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

I am still asking for the old shop around ,I am old school guy and loyal to having loyal .more went the motor rpms smooth went the old shop always did the balance job .I am free from work today I will go for a 2hr trip to keep looking for the old shop .I will balanced even will try a new shop before not balance ,Thanks
427L88 likes this.

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 1:49 PM
Gold Member
Gene

30 grams more in a pin is alot, and not the place to add. We feel for you Javier, its never been like statesside to build that too cool Elky, but now...man...... hope their balance machine survived. Good luck hunting bro!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
30 grams more in a pin is alot, and not the place to add. We feel for you Javier, its never been like statesside to build that too cool Elky, but now...man...... hope their balance machine survived. Good luck hunting bro!

What's wrong with a heavier pin? It's all weight on the small end of the rod, it doesn't know whether it's tool steel pin weight or aluminum piston weight...
427L88 likes this.

Gary Adrian
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 7:45 AM
Gold Member
Gene

No you are correct, but I was more thinking the only place to ADD weight is on a throw. It would make an easy solution to replace them with thick wall pins BUT that assumes the original balance was spot on. It may be Javiers only option.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

^ reason I brought it up is I have a crank and rod set that had been run in a 496 but I'll be dropping it into a Big M with 4.600" bore and flat top Diamond pistons. It's about the same difference but in the opposite direction, I need lighter pins than were used in the original engine but not by quite as much. My guru is shopping around and has found some that are promising but he'll have to be satisfied that they'll handle what I intend to throw at it before we go that way. Otherwise, since it has holes drilled in the counterweights, we may be able to add enough welding bead in the right spots to get it right.

There are a lot of folks that don't put any stock in a good balance job...same ones that don't believe in torque plate honing or square decking a block. I ain't one of 'em, I learned that parts is pretty much parts but there's no substitute for spot-on, dead-nuts machine work. Period.

Gary Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in