5Likes
  • 3 Post By bracketchev1221
  • 1 Post By 68Chevele
  • 1 Post By MNmalibu

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have to eat some Crow

After having such bad luck with Quick Fuel carburetors in the past 2 years and some of my friends also I had a bright spot with one last weekend. I brought the Hot Rod 750 I got from a guy who had it on a real mild 350 and I mostly got it to get the Thompson power plates it had on it. I also brought the 850 too but never got to test it. The 750 performed very well but I did dump the power valve and jetted the same front and rear so that worked pretty good on that Hot Rod 750 QF. I guess I got one that worked, so I will eat some crow about their carburetors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 1:27 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

Move the IFR in the metering block, change the emulsion package, tweak the idle and high speed air bleeds. Put transfer slot restrictors in the main body.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 8:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: I have to eat some Crow

What ever happened to the days when a carburetor worked out of the box? I donít disagree that a carburetor doesnít need a fine tune but what about the 40 years of no adjustable bleeds and anything else. My dad had a Holley 700 from like 1973, and it flat worked on whatever engine it was bolted to. It was run on 350 street engines to being a restrictor carb on a 468 to run 9.90ís for super gas. Now that carbs have more adjustability built in, it seems more of an excuse for them to not work anymore.
Aaron, 427L88 and 68Chevele like this.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
What ever happened to the days when a carburetor worked out of the box? I donít disagree that a carburetor doesnít need a fine tune but what about the 40 years of no adjustable bleeds and anything else. My dad had a Holley 700 from like 1973, and it flat worked on whatever engine it was bolted to. It was run on 350 street engines to being a restrictor carb on a 468 to run 9.90ís for super gas. Now that carbs have more adjustability built in, it seems more of an excuse for them to not work anymore.
I am with you on the should work out of the box stuff. Years ago we used to buy new 3310's drop them on and go racing. Sure we would change the sec. springs and maybe add a jet up or two but that was it. They did not smell stinky and the sure did not run like crap. I see more carbs for sale because they needed the trick of the week carburetor.
Aaron likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 12:21 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

What is your opinion of the Thompson Power Plates? I like the idea but kind of expensive to try.

72 Chevelle SS, 496, TH400, 3.73's, AFR 305's, [email protected], 1.48 60 ft. UD 288/286 sft cam. Still tuning.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

One problem with carbs that have adjustable IFR's and air bleeds is folks tuning stuff they don't understand, making a half a dozen changes at once and not remembering how to get back to where they started. I have a QF HR series 680, and my only complaint with it, and others like it was the choke design. Mostly the lack of vacuum pulloff, or vacuum to moderate the bimetal spring temp. Luckily Holley parts fit, so it was an easy fix. I love the QF adjustable vacuum secondary pod. Much nicer than swapping springs. For the most part though, I prefer the old standard Holley carbs for out of the box performance. I'm about to try a Holley 750 Street Demon on my Chevelle, (Thermoquad knockoff) so it remains to be seen how well it works out of the box, but I've been hearing good things.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsavdog View Post
What is your opinion of the Thompson Power Plates? I like the idea but kind of expensive to try.
Did not try it at the track as it was not needed. I did put one on my street car with the 750HP VS and it helped a lot with the off idle stumble. If I did not get these for free I most likely had a problem spending $40 for a little piece of brass, but they did help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:36 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

The older holleys had the IFR in the proper place, and the emulsion set up properly. Also the correct sized transfer slots. Those 3 things make a huge difference in running quality.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 3:05 PM
Mike

Garage

I have a quick fuel 670 brawler and it works great. Bought it brand new from jegs and I'm very happy with it on street driven 400 sbc.
68Chevele likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 4:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmalibu View Post
I have a quick fuel 670 brawler and it works great. Bought it brand new from jegs and I'm very happy with it on street driven 400 sbc.
Kind of funny how the 670 Brawler is the same carb as the QF Slayer 670 but they use different metering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in