• 1 Post By 71350SS
  • 2 Post By BB68
  • 1 Post By 69SS454

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Garage
Stock 400 short block rpm limits

How hard can a stock short block 400 be pushed? Cast crank, cast rods, cast pistons.

Did anyone see that episode of Engine Masters where they shot a ton of nitrous at a 305 stock short block with cast everything and it made like 350NA horse at 6000rpm?

Just wondering if my stock short block 400 would stay together if I spin it to 5000rpm on a regular basis. Right now I think it hits 4500rpm if I just let it rip in drive. It's a mild cam but I think it would be quicker if it shifted at 5000-5500rpm. Its the chevy 350 horse 327 cam.

Looking for someone that has experience with these engines and can tell me it will spin 5000 all day long or no friggin way.

I bought the complete short block for $300. It's been a fun budget build. Lots of torque. I can remember when the 350 wasn't even able to peel out from a stop and now this thing is a smoke show.
badrad and 68Chevele like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Stock 400 short block rpm limits

Should be just fine
MNmalibu likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 1:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

i heard below 5500rpm with the stock rotators
Pat_McNeil likes this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

5000 isnít an issue for a stock engine.
MNmalibu likes this.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Several years ago my son grabbed one of my 400 short blocks and dropped in a Blazer. I had three at the time that were stock rebuilds (cast pistons, stock rods, cast rings) for when an engine was needed (his definition of needed is a lot lower than mine)! Take a 19-year old "young adult", add 400 cubic inches that belong to someone else, bolt on a set of rebuilt heads and upgrade the cam, then see how many 4-wheel burn out you can do! Despite my cringing, it held together @ 6,000 RPM on many occasions!

My son put about 15,000 miles on that engine that way before I got it back. Still had 55psi oil pressure, did not smoke nor did it make any funny noises. I cannot say they will all hold together that well, but that one sure did!
OLDED, WHT/73 and MNmalibu like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

It's been a while now but I was at Island Dragway for a test/tune day with a friend of mine and his Nova.There was a guy there with an El Camino that had a 400 SBC and I asked him about the motor.He said he shifts at around 5200 and it never exceeds 5400-5500.He said that is the way to making those 400's last. IIRC he was running 11.50's or thereabouts.
MNmalibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 5:32 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmalibu View Post
How hard can a stock short block 400 be pushed? Cast crank, cast rods, cast pistons.

Did anyone see that episode of Engine Masters where they shot a ton of nitrous at a 305 stock short block with cast everything and it made like 350NA horse at 6000rpm?

Just wondering if my stock short block 400 would stay together if I spin it to 5000rpm on a regular basis. Right now I think it hits 4500rpm if I just let it rip in drive. It's a mild cam but I think it would be quicker if it shifted at 5000-5500rpm. Its the chevy 350 horse 327 cam.

Looking for someone that has experience with these engines and can tell me it will spin 5000 all day long or no friggin way.

I bought the complete short block for $300. It's been a fun budget build. Lots of torque. I can remember when the 350 wasn't even able to peel out from a stop and now this thing is a smoke show.
I used to spin my 406 to 68-7200 all the time. I have another one that has forged pistons and 5.7 rods, won't hesitate to spin that one to 6200 with a hyd. cam at all. 5K, It will last forever.
71350SS, WHT/73, badrad and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmalibu View Post

Add -186 double humps and you built the engine in my first '65 Elky. I abused that thing and it never missed a beat. 6K rpm was usually a daily thing. The low end on that combo builds is pretty high.
MNmalibu likes this.

TC Member # 4431
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- BB 427/TH400/10 bolt (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 (His)

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 1:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
It's been a while now but I was at Island Dragway for a test/tune day with a friend of mine and his Nova.There was a guy there with an El Camino that had a 400 SBC and I asked him about the motor.He said he shifts at around 5200 and it never exceeds 5400-5500.He said that is the way to making those 400's last. IIRC he was running 11.50's or thereabouts .
*EDIT* I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that yesterday but with the 30 minute edit time I couldn't change it when I first realized my mistake.What I should've wrote was that he was running around 12.50's or thereabouts.
Also to get back to original question, the stock 400 rotating assembly with those shorter connecting rods and heavy crankshaft.Is that a stumbling block to running higher RPM's ? No stock 400 came from the factory with a forged crank so you don't have that to lean on either.Yes I know you don't need a forged crank to turn some R's but it doesn't hurt either.
MNmalibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 2:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

A very good friend of mine used to turn these at 72-7600 three nights a week during the summer in his IMCA stock car. What he found, he could get 15 nights out of a set of cast pistons. If he went over that count it was a timebomb, as a pin would pull out of the bottom the pistons around that time. What he did, was to replace just the pistons, no rings or bearings, never balanced at 13 nights of racing. Mind you back then these were claimer motors that could be claimed after any race for $300. After he started replacing pistons at 13 nights he never had another windowed block. This was back when a set of forged pistons were more than his stock car cost and most guys were still scrapping together junkyard engines to run, "when racing was fun" as he says.

BTW tracks where he knew he would get claimed at he would put a "high" night engine in for the new owners benefit.
Chris27 and MNmalibu like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 2:44 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I drag raced mine to 7000 rpm for years without any problems. 2 bolt, stock cast crank, stock rods, forged +.030 pistons, all balanced.
MNmalibu likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 6:07 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
A very good friend of mine used to turn these at 72-7600 three nights a week during the summer in his IMCA stock car. What he found, he could get 15 nights out of a set of cast pistons. If he went over that count it was a timebomb, as a pin would pull out of the bottom the pistons around that time. What he did, was to replace just the pistons, no rings or bearings, never balanced at 13 nights of racing. Mind you back then these were claimer motors that could be claimed after any race for $300. After he started replacing pistons at 13 nights he never had another windowed block. This was back when a set of forged pistons were more than his stock car cost and most guys were still scrapping together junkyard engines to run, "when racing was fun" as he says.

BTW tracks where he knew he would get claimed at he would put a "high" night engine in for the new owners benefit.

We did the exact same thing in the late 90's. 400 SBC with a cast bottom end in an IMCA modified. We usually spun it to 6800 RPM. Here in Canada it was a $500 engine claim rule. That 400 was a great engine. It would come apart for freshening every 10-12 races or so. After that I got into sprint cars and engines got much more expensive.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in