Fuel engine questions 555 ???? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 6:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Arrow Fuel engine questions 555 ????

Thanks for any suggestions and help in advance.
Nelson

I am thinking of having a 555 standard deck built for my 71 Chevelle convertible. I am wanting something that will run on 91-92 octane, does not have to have high compression and not run high RPM to build power. I also want to keep my cowl induction setup.
I do not want to change my fuel tank or stainless stock size lines. My question is can my stock fuel lines feed the 555 or what is the largest CI I can safely run. Is seems to be about the same money to go Big CI.
I am displeased with my 496 as it only put down 365 @ the rear wheels. It has a lot of good parts and I am not opposed to using some of the parts to build the new one.

Maybe reuse these parts:
Intake edelbrock RPM
Heads Brodix aluminum RR ovals 270cc. 119cc Intake 2.250'' / Exhaust 1.880''
Lifter Lunati Hyd roller 72431
Rocker arm Crane gold roller 1.7
7/16 custom push rods
MSD 8360
Timing set Cloyes Quick Button Two-Piece & Torrington roller chain
Moroso oil pan 20403 scraper screen installed
Aluminum water pump

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ds.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	600266   Click image for larger version

Name:	en.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	600268  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 7:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Fuel engine questions 555 ????

What cam is in your 496 and what compression? With 20% valvetrain loss, you're ony at 456hp. That's anemic even for a 454, particularly with those heads. There's no reason that 496 shouldn't make 650hp at the flywheel, 500hp+ to the tires. I'd address the problems with the current engine before I spent the coin on a 555. You should have a tire fryer that will run 10's with good suspension and sticky tires.
427L88 and kermitsass like this.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 7:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Id be pulling the engine out and put it on a reputable engine dyno before doing anything. Find out what power the engine is making now. Because if the problem is in the car, the 555 will perform worse.
BossHogg69 likes this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I don't see what the car would make problems. Anyway to answer the other questions.

Crank Scat 4340 forged 4.250 stroker crank
Rods Eagle ESP heavy duty 6.385
Pistons KB Hypereutectic flat top, compression with 119cc is 8.75 to 1
Cam Lunati Hyd roller 60211 575_ 575 221 _ 229 112 @50
Lifter Lunati Hyd roller 72431

_
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 8:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Swap pistons out for some domes to bump compression to about 10.5:1 and add a real cam, something in the 230-236 range. Your current build left a lot of power on the table.

Gary Adrian
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 8:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I was wanting to just swap something out so the car does not set while I wait on the machine shop.
I think the forged piston requires more piston to wall clearance than a Hypereutectic? correct. I guess that way it could be honed for the new forged pistons.
Harold and I talked, decided on this cam but I was on the cautious side of a large cam and I wanted my power brakes to work. Two mistakes I made was pistons and cam..

_
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Clearance is built into the piston, not the bore. Visit with the machine shop - they'll have bobweight that the crank was balanced to and will know what it needs with new pistons. Do a little research on here and you'll find out how much cam you can get away with and keep power brakes.
Good luck, you already have a great basis, just needs some upgrades.
BossHogg69 and 72BBMonte like this.

Gary Adrian
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 6:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanf1 View Post
I don't see what the car would make problems.
Simple if the car has fuel delivery problems, air inlet problems, exhaust problems, or 200 hp parasitic losses through the drivetrain it can make any engine appear like crap on a chassis dyno. So if you try to put more hp in a car that cant get the air/fuel in or out or hp to the ground now, you will be disappointed even more later.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 6:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage
You’d be far better off fixing your 496. Typical 555 costs quite a bit vs. changing cam and pistons. Even with the low compression you’re leaving power on the table.
Bump compression to 10.5:1, put the correct hydraulic roller in, and you’ll have more power than you know what to do with.
Clint44, 427L88 and BossHogg69 like this.

Greg C.
1969 Chevelle Malibu
New, waaaay overcammed 496 "The Dud"
[email protected]
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 8:16 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
Youd be far better off fixing your 496. Typical 555 costs quite a bit vs. changing cam and pistons. Even with the low compression youre leaving power on the table.
Bump compression to 10.5:1, put the correct hydraulic roller in, and youll have more power than you know what to do with.
This ^^^^^^

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

221/[email protected] is a very small cam for a 496,IMHO and experience.
There is a particular Isky hyd. roller that specs at 238/[email protected] 110 and would compliment those Brodix heads well. And put down some increased HP/TQ

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 4:54 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Nelson, my last 427 was garage built by yours truly, 515 at crank, the next 454 is being done by a consummate pro, 580- 600 at the crank. He gets near 700 out of the 4.25" stuff. So I dont know who assembled the engine, but even with a too small cam, I am surprised and would also be disappointed. But a 555 is useless. Truly, unless you really just want to brag about size. Don't!

AS mr 4 speed and others have said, get a real cam in there #1. That ISKY is fine, but at this point, you may find the small extra expense ($100) of a custom grind from Chris Straub will at least get the valve events optimized as the engine sits now. I bet you gain all of 50 RWHP with a custom cam. More than that will require more effort, to include a reassembly of the engine to produce 700 hp, which folks like Mark Jones and Mike Lewis do all the time. You'll dump the cast slugs and used domed forged to be sure, so now we're talking some money.

Fuel pressure was good during the dyno pull?

PS My new 467, with the next size smaller cam idles at 750 rpm and has more than enough vacuum to run brakes. So even the 238/248 on a 111 lsa ought be fine.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 4:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thank you all very much for all the info.

I have collected NOS parts for years, spent a lot of time and money on this car. I hate that I even need to pull the engine.
I just figure that if I have to take it to a machine shop it will be months to get it back.
I am just so flustered with the engine and that is why I was going to swap it out..
I don't know what to do at this point. I was so mad I was ready to put the numbers matching 402 back in it.

I was thinking if I could buy a new short block I could use most of my bolt on items and order a cam / springs from Chris.
427L88 likes this.

_
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 9:42 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Redmanf1, and not just any machine shop. There is a HUGE variance in quality and expertise even amongst the "experts". I have no doubt in my military mind, none, that some of the bonafide experts here, Mark Jones in Colorado Springs, Mike Lewis in Northern CA, Carl in NY, Bill in MD, Chris in TN, etc.... can take your parts and reconstruct it into a 700 hp monster.

Me, I might just order a new HR cam from Chris, do the swap. I think that one move, unless there are issues in overall assembly, will net you a HUGE gain in RWHP. It wont be cheap as you may need springs and lifters. BTW, swapping springs while head is on engine is pretty easy with apiece of ignition wire ( or rope), and a Lisle on head spring compressor. A mag-tip machinists scribe also makes it easy to catch the locks.

And you may get lucky and only have to swap out the bumpstick. Straub will advise you.

Brother, our on-board experts can make the same, if not more , power from your 402 ( with the factory heads in Jones' case) , so you have every right to be sadly disappointed.

Call Chris Straub, he'll advise you as to whether a simple cam swap will get you where you want to be or not. I'm sure he'll tighten up the centers, etc,. to give that 8.75:1 all the cylinder pressure possible.

That's my read. The cylinders arent filling properly. Valve event issue. Call the pro cam guy and explore. You may have that bad boy all "narly and snotty" in a weekend for less than $500. Best case, but worth exploring.

Guaranteed result, put the 402 back in, enjoy it,and send the parts to a BONAFIDE rat expert for re-assembly.
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 4:47 PM
Tech Team

Sir what us the stock stainless fuel line size 5/16 or 3/8? What do you have for fuel pump? You could very well see not great results because your fuel system and induction have been maxed out? Most cars with the stock style 3/8 fuel lines seem to max out about 600 horsepower. Have you tried running without the air cleaner cowl induction assembly on the car? What did the guys at Livernois say when you did your pulls. I would like into fuel air intake stuff. If they are ok do a compression check and leak down. There is something definitely off with the motor to the tune of at least 100 horsepower even with your cam and compression. That 496 should be about 575 to 600 horsepower with your parts. You never said what carb either? There are a lot of good guys around the Detroit area too you should be talking to. Livernois being one of them. Also Holbrook Billy Briggs Fasting.

RH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in