Ladder bar car with bounce in suspension - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 8:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ladder bar car with bounce in suspension

I know this is mostly all chevelles but you look were you can and find insight on things regardless. I actually have a 68 camaro it weights 2760 with me in the car. It runs 5.80s in the 1/8 on 175 shoot. The car has been back halfed with 9" and qa1 single adj shocks with 190lb springs. Shocks set on 9 Ladder bar is set on the lowest hole, the front shocks are comp engineer 3 way shocks set at 80/20. I do no prep with the car. The car drives straight without hardly any actually driving the car. When I take it to the track to get a time on it after the car sits back down even on motor you can hear in the videos and even see it. The car acting like it's loading and unloading but as soon as I hit high gear it quits and starts pulling really hard. My question is how do I get the bounce out of the car? Do I need to tighten up the coil over springs on the rear or does it sound like I need a heavier spring rate for the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage
Re: Ladder bar car with bounce in suspension

Why the 190lb springs?? You should'nt need more than 120 or so! Too much spring will do exactly what your car is doing- won't let the shocks do their job.

For reference, my Chevelle is around 3700 and I've got 150lb springs on Strange singles (ladder bar/coilover rear suspension). Your car is almost 1,000 pounds lighter..!!

Greg C.
1969 Chevelle Malibu
New, waaaay overcammed 496 "The Dud"
[email protected]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It was a starting point I didn't have an idea what the car was going to weight till I was done I'm going to get my wife to download a video of the car to YouTube and then I'm going to post the link on here and then y'all can get a better idea of what's going on with the car

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is race ready weights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203_1562681207368.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	597800  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok so I posted the wrong spring rate that's on my car. They are only 95s and are turned up about 2" from the bottom threads of the coil overs. Do y'all think that's it's still working against the shocks or do I need to stiffen up the rear shocks. Or let off of the spring about an 1" and readjust ride height with the brackets for the shocks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

What rear shocks and what tire? Sounds like you need to control the shock extension rate.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

i told you what i think is the biggest problem. call randy at fastshock and explain to him whats going on. get afco front shocks with the bnc valving
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 7:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It's qa1 single adjustable and it's a 28x10.5 but they are on 12" rims to get all the rubber to the ground
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman711 View Post
It's qa1 single adjustable and it's a 28x10.5 but they are on 12" rims to get all the rubber to the ground
Which 28 x 10.5? Bias or Radial? Big difference in shock settings. What air pressure?

Double adjustable rear shocks will resolve the issue.

Start with full stiff on compression and full soft on extension. Tighten extension a little at a time until bounce is gone.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

ladder bar cars that are fast enough to run in the nines are far to violent to start full soft on extentions damping unless you want to beat the housing into the ground and roll the rubber off your slicks. start full stiff on rebound and try 4 clicks lighter and see how the car reacts.full light if anything will make it wheeler and harder on a sticky track. like i said start with better shocks on the front more compression damping and travel limiters. Actually I would sat the extension damping 4 clicks from Full stiff and then go to the front. Once you get that as good as you can get it then go back to the rear
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 7:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It's mickey Thompson and air pressure is 10 1/2 after burn out they are 11. And I know double adjustable shock would fix the problem I'm just trying to finish out the season like it sits now and fix it over winter
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

do you have travel limiter on the front suspension?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I do have them on the front end
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

They are not hooked up now though. I haven't gotten back to the track to test any lately to see if hooking them up changes anything yet. Would you hook them up the way the car sits or put a little pressure down on the front end before hooking them up
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

i would start with you in it at ride hieght and set the limiters to allow 2 inches of travel. make a few passes. if it likes that try 1 inch if its worse go the other way. if you can adjust the rebound damping. i would try tightening that after your initial travel limiter setting. If you don't already have them hooked up and were running that way just the travel limiters will help a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in