8" ATI converters on the street....? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

8" ATI converters on the street....?

Anyone running a custom spec'd ATI 8" converter in their street car and actually put any miles on it? Any thoughts / opinions on this converter?

There is a chance I may be pulling my trans out to replace the shift shaft detent seal that's leaking...if that happens, I'll likely have the whole trans refreshened, which would be the perfect time to change converters.

I'm thinking about getting one of Mark's custom spec'd ATI converters, I'm just concerned it would be too loose for as much as I drive my car, especially on long highway runs. I don't want it to be a sloppy mess around town or have no pick up off of corners etc.

My current 10" converter is excellent on the street, but it weak sauce on the track. Flashes about 3500-3600 from idle launches, and about 1100 rpms worth of shift extension...(rpms drop to 5200 ish on shifts). Goes through the traps at 5900 ish. This is at 3700lbs race weight, 3.36 gears, 27" tires. Current 60' is 1.51-1.52.

I'm thinking another 1000 or so rpms worth a flash stall would REALLY wake this thing up, I just don't want to hurt the driveability TOO much...

Looking for input from anyone that has owned/driven a custom spec'd 8"... Thanks!

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
T400, Tight 10" converter
3.36 gears, 3700lb raceweight
[email protected], 1.51 60'
STOCK APPEARING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:41 PM
Tech Team

Re: 8" ATI converters on the street....?

Call Lenny at Ultimate Converters, He will set you up with a really tight converter that will stall to 5500 if you need it. Lenny is the man.
mino65 and TAG55 like this.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 10:04 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

I ran a Coan 8" converter for several years with my 357 nitrous setup. I then went to a 9" Coan with a 427SBC on nitrous and now an ATI 9" with the F2 Procharged 427. Cruising in town or on the freeway they all worked great. As soon as I go full throttle it will flash to 5,500 but again has no problem cruising at 3,000 on the freeway.
Aaron likes this.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
I ran a Coan 8" converter for several years with my 357 nitrous setup. I then went to a 9" Coan with a 427SBC on nitrous and now an ATI 9" with the F2 Procharged 427. Cruising in town or on the freeway they all worked great. As soon as I go full throttle it will flash to 5,500 but again has no problem cruising at 3,000 on the freeway.

I just went for a ride in Rafel’s 67” Camaro that runs 9.70s with a 420” SB, he runs an 8” ATI converter spec’d by Mark Jones. The car drove better then I thought it would, it’s definetly loose though. I could probably live with it if it drove like his, however his car is 3000lbs and has 4.10 gears... I have a feeling an 8” in my heavy car with 3.36s would be WAY too loose.
427L88 likes this.

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
STOCK APPEARING
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 10:45 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldntBeHere View Post
I just went for a ride in Rafel’s 67” Camaro that runs 9.70s with a 420” SB, he runs an 8” ATI converter spec’d by Mark Jones. The car drove better then I thought it would, it’s definetly loose though. I could probably live with it if it drove like his, however his car is 3000lbs and has 4.10 gears... I have a feeling an 8” in my heavy car with 3.36s would be WAY too loose.
My car weighed 3,420 with the 357 and now weighs 3,500 but It does have 4.10 gears. With your taller gears and more weight it will feel looser.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Somewhat of a topic drift, but you can easily replace the shift shaft seal with the transmission in place. Napa sells the puller/install tool for about $5.00.

Back to converter talk....
ShouldntBeHere likes this.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Somewhat of a topic drift, but you can easily replace the shift shaft seal with the transmission in place. Napa sells the puller/install tool for about $5.00.

Back to converter talk....

Thanks. I looked into it. It seems you have to pull the valve body out to replace the seal because the shift shaft is attached to the VB. Pulling the VB out with the trans in the car seemed a little worrisome to me. I could just see check balls and springs falling out all over my garage floor. Lol

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
STOCK APPEARING
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
My car weighed 3,420 with the 357 and now weighs 3,500 but It does have 4.10 gears. With your taller gears and more weight it will feel looser.

Yeah my car is about 3720lbs or so in street trim...maybe a little more. And with 3.36 gears and 28” tires, I’m afraid the 8” would be too loose.

I could always build another 10”...but I really wanted to try the 8” for the spinning weight reduction and efficiency on the big end.

I had a 9.5” in my C5Z that went 5400 on the trans brake, would flash to 5200 from a foot brake launch, and it drove great around town....however that car had a LOT more power to make it flash at wot. (850 rwhp). And it would lock on the highway... best of both worlds.
Clint44 likes this.

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
STOCK APPEARING
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 1:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

If I'm not mistaken Mark drives/has driven an 8" converter on the street as well. I'm sure you've already talked to him about it, not sure how long his hauls have been though.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Lewis street 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 7:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldntBeHere View Post
Thanks. I looked into it. It seems you have to pull the valve body out to replace the seal because the shift shaft is attached to the VB. Pulling the VB out with the trans in the car seemed a little worrisome to me. I could just see check balls and springs falling out all over my garage floor. Lol
I guess we’re talking about two different seals. TH350/400 seals just knock on from the outside of the case with no disassembly.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 8:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
If I'm not mistaken Mark drives/has driven an 8" converter on the street as well. I'm sure you've already talked to him about it, not sure how long his hauls have been though.
My every day driver has this 8 inch converter in it. 4200 pound C-10 truck, steel wheels, two piece drive shaft, open 3.07 gears, 30 inch tall tires, locked dist as well. And it does everything you mentioned-------and I love it. 12 sec 327 street truck in Houston. And with gears and a spool your looking at 11s. Road Kill Killer.
aukai and Blown1932 like this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 8:57 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Ran an 8" custom Coan converter around the streets for years...
ShouldntBeHere likes this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 5:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
I guess we’re talking about two different seals. TH350/400 seals just knock on from the outside of the case with no disassembly.

Yes I'm talking about the seal on the shift shaft from the valve body to the shifter linkage/cable. Probably some kind of lip seal or o ring. Maybe if I removed the linkage I could slide the seal out over the shift shaft from the outside but...I doubt it, at least not without dropping the trans down. There is no room in there.

Pretty much made my mind up to pull the trans, refreshen it, and get a 8" converter from Mark.

The trans still works great but, its 10 years old and has 26k miles on it...LOTS of passes on the street/strip.

Mark, I'll call you tomorrow if you see this.

Maybe this ole jalopy will run some 10.20s with a real converter...

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
STOCK APPEARING
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 6:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Here is today's puddle with the new cork pan gasket, after only a 30 mile highway drive. I'm gonna jack it up tomorrow and look at the shift shaft area real close but...my guess is that's the culprit...not the pan.

All of this was clean as could be yesterday before I drove it so...its a significant leak for sure.

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
STOCK APPEARING
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 6:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Do it.

I got an 8" ATI from Mark and in my 3900+ lb. Chevelle with 600+ HP/TQ and 3.73's, it's 100% tolerable on the street. Under light throttle it behaves like a typical ~3000 converter.
Pat_McNeil and ShouldntBeHere like this.

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

Check out
on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in