Performance Our High Performance area

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 4:43 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Thinking of going from MSD to HEi

mine was a 17 year old ZZ4 HEI take-out. ran perfect for 17 years, 4 engines. One of the parts I really hated to see go down the road when I sold the car.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 7:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've used HEI in my cars for 25 years. About 20 years ago, I had a module burn out in a '72 Cutlass. Easily replaced. My '69 Chevelle that I bought in 2006 came with an MSD billet distributor and a 6AL box. The box gave out a couple of times, and the inside of the distributor was covered in green fuzz -- apparently a common problem with that MSD model. I had just graduated college at the time, had my income triple overnight, and had the severe misconception that you always get what you pay for and that expensive automatically equaled quality. "Put the best distributor you can find in there!" I told my mechanic. For $500, he installed one with a computer circuit board instead of weights, centerplate, etc. Two days later, that $500 unit burned itself out and I had the car towed to his shop. He then installed a GM HEI, issued me a credit for the difference, and it has been beautiful ever since. I did recently have a coil burn out, but on changing the cap and coil with the spare setup in the trunk, I noticed that the black ground wire had come over time loose -- the probable culprit and something to check regularly.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 8:42 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Keep It Simple Stupid. ( no one here is stupid btw, just a saying)

I;ve been runnign w/o an MSD since a cap friend a few years ago. Only issue was plugs getting hazed over a bit w/o it. Embarrased the car at the NOCC show by running a 13 slow on seemingly fouled plugs. As fresh NGK woke the thing up like it was going frok 2 to 4bbl.

Rev limiter? Well, I did clip near 8 grand on a "clutch hangup" during the winter months! But otherwise rev limiter not an issue.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 9:09 AM
Tech Team

I have heard a lot of complaint's recently about MSD products. Seems like their quality control has went down hill.
hydro462 likes this.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

basically if you aren't having issues with the MSD, changing it will do nothing for you. If you are changing it to eliminate extra stuff then by all means go ahead. We ran a DUI distributor in my friends mid 11 second street Camaro with zero issues. Had the rev limiter built in.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

About 5 years ago, MSD bought Mallory. Two and a half years ago, Holley bought MSD. MOST issues with MSD box failures were/are from very bad, defective MSD Blaster coils. Good ones were made to early 2004, then, Mexico (at one time, 70 percent defective), and now, China. A defective MSD Blaster coil that is slowly "layer shorting" to failure, can kill an HEI, or MSD module flat out in as little as 30 seconds, for what people say is "no apparent reason".

NOTHING ever fails "for no apparent reason".
oman, davewho1 and hydro462 like this.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 2:32 PM

Before Holley bought MSD, the last investment group took most if not all of the mfg to China. Since then my sale on Distributor gears are through the roof with ATK being my largest of them. They take the MSD distributor out of the box and replace the gear with the original mfg of the gear which was Morel.
GuysMonteSS likes this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 2:52 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
About 5 years ago, MSD bought Mallory. Two and a half years ago, Holley bought MSD. MOST issues with MSD box failures were/are from very bad, defective MSD Blaster coils. Good ones were made to early 2004, then, Mexico (at one time, 70 percent defective), and now, China. A defective MSD Blaster coil that is slowly "layer shorting" to failure, can kill an HEI, or MSD module flat out in as little as 30 seconds, for what people say is "no apparent reason".

NOTHING ever fails "for no apparent reason".
Does the bad quality control also include the coil in cap versions ? This is my third MSD digital 6 plus box in approx. 10 years, and I think I have only changed the coil in cap once. Maybe, I should change the coil in cap. The one I have in there is made in Mexico.... .

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 4:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Does the bad quality control also include the coil in cap versions ? This is my third MSD digital 6 plus box in approx. 10 years, and I think I have only changed the coil in cap once. Maybe, I should change the coil in cap. The one I have in there is made in Mexico.... .
Change to a modified dust cover for remote coil and low resistance bushing.
Fast or pertronix oil filled coil should work.

https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/8401MSD

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...nts/parts/8412

https://www.fuelairspark.com/fast-ps...ance-coil.html

https://pertronix.com/pertronix-4501...itional_tabbed

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 7:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I like the Mallory Voltmaster coil.. I hear sometimes they need oil though, I never had one low on oil..

https://www.ebay.com/p/Vintage-Mallo...CABEgK8ifD_BwE
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 9:23 AM
Tech Team

Ran a MSD box on two vehicle back in the late 90's. Worked really well, but like I said in a previous post their quality control had seriously went down hill in recent years.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I think a lot of people run MSD systems cuz they look cool under the hood
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 3:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Large HEI, BEST ADVICE, GET THAT DISASTER OF A COIL OUT OF THE CAP and that included all the "performance" in cap coils as well. THE single most frequent issue with large HEI is not IF, but, WHEN the epoxy coil begins to fail, taking module after module to fail "for no apparent reason".

Noting fails "for no reason".

Nice oil filled coil, such as NAPA IC12 (NOT AN IC12SB), or, O'Reilly's 2-5195 will work wonders in saving modules and coil failures on the large HEI's, and they will make a touch more spark energy because they don't run nuclear hot.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 4:29 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I've had my MSD 6AL box since 1994, never had an issue. I used to run a GM HEI with the MSD adapter plug. Worked fine for years until I melted the cap. Then I went to an MSD "Streetfire" HEI, which basically translates to "Chinese made junk". After that I bought an obsolete MSD "magnetic pick up" distributor, basically the ancestor to the current "pro billet" series. Re-used my old 6AL and have never had a problem since. If you can find old MSD stuff, it seems to last forever. If you can find a good quality HEI, it seems to be reliable. No matter what you go with, avoid anything from China for your North American car and you'll be fine. BTW, my car runs cleaner and idles better with the MSD setup. Setting timing is also easier, with the HEI it seemed to bounce around at idle. Absolutely no difference in 1/4 mile performance between the 2.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 8:10 PM
Tech Team

? for the HEI fans,

“How do you retard initial timing,
for starting” ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in