Performance Our High Performance area

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage
Re: Trick Flow Oil Can

The Monte is going to winter storage tomorrow and I am going back to work for the winter.
I drained my catch can today into the same bottle I drained it into before,which I had saved.
There wasnt much dirty oil collected,didnt even cover the bottom of the bottle.
I probably put well over 3000 miles on the Monte after installing the oil catch can.
Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	605454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	605456  

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Wonder why gm never put them on the ls? A little oil residue wont affect anything.

Next rebuild make sure your guides/ring seal are good
Everyone with a corvette seems to think they need a catch can thats a joke. I guess they call them mods these days.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 19, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
I have the same valve covers. I use the Moroso PCV Grommet with Integral Baffles (68772) on the PCV side with Wagner DF-17 PCV, and an open grommet on the breather side. That works well for me. The baffled grommet is a $4 part, so, you might want to try it to see if it helps stop all that oil being sucked up by the PCV.
I was going to try this instead.....

https://www.moroso.com/replacement-b...eparator68781/

https://www.moroso.com/replacement-b...eparator68780/

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 19, 8:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Guy,
Yep, that doesn't seem like much collected for that many hours of driving. Must be a tight engine.
I was expecting more,especially at the end of the season.
If the lack of dirty oil collected is indeed due to a tight engine,I owe that to all that I have learnt here and the help that I have got,particularly from a couple of our well known engine builders,with Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis supplying the Autotec pistons and custom Total Seal 1.5/1.5/3 mm rings with the Napier second upgrade.
And CNC Carl for informing us on the importance of proper cylinder honing techniques,and I made sure to pay the extra to have the cylinders plate honed.
I wonder if the ME Wagner PCV valve helped to contribute to this ???
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 19, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I have the M/E Wagner and the Moroso can. Emptied mine the other day and there was a fair amount in there, probably a few ounces after a few hundred miles.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
You will love the Wagner PCV valve. For me, it was like magic after it was tuned. Note: Make sure the valve and motor are hot when you tune it, this is critical to get the right tune. If you doubt the engine is hot enough, then, turn the adjustment an additional 1/4 turn clockwise to get it perfect.

Sounds like we have the same valve covers. See my last post, I refuse to ruin these expensive valve covers with a drill through. If you figure out an elegant way with buttonheads or countersinking, please post a pic. Thanks !
Did you guys ever consider bonding the baffles to the inside roof of the valve cover? There are some pretty good industrial strength two part epoxy adhesives available that will easily hold up to 250 degree heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
When I switched to these valve covers, which I think are amazing looking but drives me nuts they did not baffle! I put the Moroso grommets in and was getting blow by around the breather and PCV..so I changed PCV valves to an AC Delco that folks on here suggested. NO more blow by but now smoke out of the tail pipes that I NEVER had. So first going to try the valve, if that does not fix it , my thougth was to make a small baffle like Wagner has on their site and drill two small holes and come up with a way to make it look good. Gene at Wagner said he saw people with these covers just countersink the holes a little so the a tapered allen head bolt sits flush and they look pretty trick. But that will be a last resort. Also plan on putting a Moroso 85497 can on the firewall.

Will also try various grommet setups to see if what you have works for me.. On my breather side took one of the Moroso grommets that have no hole in the bottom and took sidecuts and made holes in the sides of them...so nothing is coming up directly into it, comes from the sides, seemed to work well. BUT they don't make them in the 3/4" diameter hole just 1" so doing that on the PCV side is not an option

Got the idea here
Ratmino Update # 15 valve cover breather tips - YouTube
I might decide using a good 2 part epoxy adhesive to bond the baffles to the valve covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I was happy with the results of adding an adjustable PCV and catch can on my 496 over just breathers. Mostly less crankcase vapor smell.

I made the pieces, so the PCV is just a needle and seat type deal where I can adjust the orifice size, no fancy check ball or second circuit.

Depending on how I adjusted it, I can get either a couple drops of oil in the catch can, or ounces. I settled on an adjustment where the breather hole on the other valve cover is pulling a vacuum at any rpm (free revving it), that gets the catch can about 1/2oz in 1000 miles.

Nobody has noticed the catch can mounted on the back of the driver's side cyl head, I wanted it to be mostly hidden.
Not meaning to be critical of your idea, but just a little speculation here on my part: I wonder if having the PCV valve in the rear of the cover, (closest to the firewall I mean) that it would have more of a tendency to suck oil in during hard acceleration, (that's assuming that more of the oil gets slung toward the rear of the cover during hard acceleration. Especially while in first gear).

Oh, BTW, I like those valve covers. Who sells them, and what brand are they?

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Did you guys ever consider bonding the baffles to the inside roof of the valve cover? There are some pretty good industrial strength two part epoxy adhesives available that will easily hold up to 250 degree heat.

I might decide using a good 2 part epoxy adhesive to bond the baffles to the valve covers.

Not meaning to be critical of your idea, but just a little speculation here on my part: I wonder if having the PCV valve in the rear of the cover, (closest to the firewall I mean) that it would have more of a tendency to suck oil in during hard acceleration, (that's assuming that more of the oil gets slung toward the rear of the cover during hard acceleration. Especially while in first gear).

Oh, BTW, I like those valve covers. Who sells them, and what brand are they?
I started the pcv test with different valve covers, hole up front.

Those are cheap eBay valve covers, they were like $60.

I have epoxied baffles in other valve covers with good success.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

67 Chevelle owned since high school
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I started the pcv test with different valve covers, hole up front.

Those are cheap eBay valve covers, they were like $60.

I have epoxied baffles in other valve covers with good success.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
OK thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in