49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 4:07 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: Trick Flow Oil Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
I have the GM performance cast valve covers on my 467, which do not have baffles inside. I used a spare JLT oil separator can which I used to have on my F150, and plumbed it inline to the vacuum port on my carb. Made a bracket and attached it to the firewall. The hose to the carb pulls through the wire mesh screen inside the can. The can collects quite a bit of oil, about 1 ounce in 100 miles. I thought it better to have the mesh filter on the side going to the carb rather than the side coming from the valve cover. My thinking is that the oil is less likely to make it into the hose to the carb.
I have the same valve covers. I use the Moroso PCV Grommet with Integral Baffles (68772) on the PCV side with Wagner DF-17 PCV, and an open grommet on the breather side. That works well for me. The baffled grommet is a $4 part, so, you might want to try it to see if it helps stop all that oil being sucked up by the PCV.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuysMonteSS View Post
I just plumbed this in with my ME Wagner Dual Flow adjustable PCV valve.
It's been sitting collecting dust for a year or more,so today was the day to get this project off of the old "To Do" list,lol
I didn't have the proper fittings but I made do.
I gutted an old PCV valve for the top "out" hose to the back of the carb.
For the bottom I put a 5/8 hose on the 8 an fitting and put the 3/8 hose from the PCV valve inside the 5/8 hose.
Might not be the correct way to do it,but hopefully it will work until I can get the proper fittings.
Other than starting it to make sure that it still runs I haven't gone for a trial drive yet,but that will be soon.
Guy
Do you have a Part # and where to get the Trick Flow can ?
GuysMonteSS likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
No, glass peanut butter jars are a thing of the past. They often pop up on Ebay. I do have a spare but luckily I've never needed it.
Well Ya if your "Picky" but if your not there is always this.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goober1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	600808   Click image for larger version

Name:	goober2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	600810  
boyd66k20 and paul bell like this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 1:45 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Quote:
I have the GM performance cast valve covers on my 467, which do not have baffles inside. I used a spare JLT oil separator can which I used to have on my F150, and plumbed it inline to the vacuum port on my carb. Made a bracket and attached it to the firewall. The hose to the carb pulls through the wire mesh screen inside the can. The can collects quite a bit of oil, about 1 ounce in 100 miles. I thought it better to have the mesh filter on the side going to the carb rather than the side coming from the valve cover. My thinking is that the oil is less likely to make it into the hose to the carb.
I have the same valve covers. I use the Moroso PCV Grommet with Integral Baffles (68772) on the PCV side with Wagner DF-17 PCV, and an open grommet on the breather side. That works well for me. The baffled grommet is a $4 part, so, you might want to try it to see if it helps stop all that oil being sucked up by the PCV.
I did run the Moroso grommet for a while. But they are restrictive. MJ advised against using them.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 6:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Do you have a Part # and where to get the Trick Flow can ?
Sure do,I got mine at Summit;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0850/overview/
And if you are using 3/8 hose from the PCV like I do you will need this fitting for the bottom "In" 8 AN fitting;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...8201/overview/
For the top "Out" fitting I gutted an old PCV valve and used that.
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 11:32 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
I did run the Moroso grommet for a while. But they are restrictive. MJ advised against using them.
Maybe, but, here is my experience, your mileage may vary. I had a random oil drops at WOT. different locations. I suspected my PCV because of my radical cam. I put in the Wagner DF-17. The Moroso grommet has a 1/16th slit across. I widened it to 1/8" plus slit. I tuned my Wagner DF-17 a few times and viola, all oil leaks disappear. After a while, I was getting a additional oil consumption, so, just for giggles, I took out the hogged out 1/8" plus slit Moroso grommet and put in a stock Moroso grommet (1/16" slit), and also changed the orientation of the slit to go from front to back instead of right to left. The results were good. Still no oil drips or leaks anywhere at WOT and less oil consumption. I decided to leave the 1/16" slit Moroso in there instead of the 1/8" plus slit Moroso. It has been a while now, a few months of driving, and the 1/16" slit stock Moroso is working perfectly. Everything is dry, no oil seep anywhere.
pockets likes this.

Harry
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuysMonteSS View Post
Sure do,I got mine at Summit;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0850/overview/
And if you are using 3/8 hose from the PCV like I do you will need this fitting for the bottom "In" 8 AN fitting;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...8201/overview/
For the top "Out" fitting I gutted an old PCV valve and used that.
Guy
Thanks Guy
GuysMonteSS likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Maybe, but, here is my experience, your mileage may vary. I had a random oil drops at WOT. different locations. I suspected my PCV because of my radical cam. I put in the Wagner DF-17. The Moroso grommet has a 1/16th slit across. I widened it to 1/8" plus slit. I tuned my Wagner DF-17 a few times and viola, all oil leaks disappear. After a while, I was getting a additional oil consumption, so, just for giggles, I took out the hogged out 1/8" plus slit Moroso grommet and put in a stock Moroso grommet (1/16" slit), and also changed the orientation of the slit to go from front to back instead of right to left. The results were good. Still no oil drips or leaks anywhere at WOT and less oil consumption. I decided to leave the 1/16" slit Moroso in there instead of the 1/8" plus slit Moroso. It has been a while now, a few months of driving, and the 1/16" slit stock Moroso is working perfectly. Everything is dry, no oil seep anywhere.

I just ordered my valve yesterday. Gene at M/E Wagner is great. He said the results are mixed with the Moroso grommets as I use them in my Chevrolet performance valve covers. He suggested I make a set of baffles, really good read on his website about baffles and a pic on how he suggests making them. I would have to drill holes in my covers but I think either nice black buttonheads or countersinking them and they would look just fine. He also suggested the catch can.

Look forward to giving it a go.
GuysMonteSS likes this.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:

you run an open grommet, no baffle on any type on the non pcv side? Right now I am getting no oil in my PCV valve or hose going to carb..but I am getting some smoke out the pipes. Never had this issue until I switch to these valve covers and the mroso grommets.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 1:38 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
you run an open grommet, no baffle on any type on the non pcv side? Right now I am getting no oil in my PCV valve or hose going to carb..but I am getting some smoke out the pipes. Never had this issue until I switch to these valve covers and the mroso grommets.
yes, I now run the stock Moroso baffle (no modification, stock 1/16" slit) on the PCV side (3/4" hole for the PCV). I run an open baffle (1" hole) with a breather on the other side. I get no smoke or oil out of the breather side, nor the PCV side. If I get the Chevelle hot, let it idle with my big cam, then, plug the PCV hole, after a while with a flashlight, I can see some oil vapor out of the breather on the other side. Once, I hook up the Wagner PCV again, there is zero oil vapor coming out of the breather side. This is an easy way to validate that your new Wagner PCV is set correctly and air is being sucked in on the breather side.
Note: with my old PCV, I was getting some oil seep around the grommets in both valve covers after flogging the Chevelle. That is all gone now, everything is dry. Now, I also realize that this leaking was telling me that my PCV was not the right one.

Regarding adding hardware baffles, I have the expensive black Chevrolet (lettered) aluminum tall valve covers, made in California. I took one off and inspected them for a metal baffle installation. I even bought a few metal baffles. Bottom-line, there are no bosses, so, there is no safe way to put a baffle in these valve covers unless you do a drill through. I refuse to ruin these valve covers with a drill through strategy...

Harry
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 1:53 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
I just ordered my valve yesterday. Gene at M/E Wagner is great. He said the results are mixed with the Moroso grommets as I use them in my Chevrolet performance valve covers. He suggested I make a set of baffles, really good read on his website about baffles and a pic on how he suggests making them. I would have to drill holes in my covers but I think either nice black buttonheads or countersinking them and they would look just fine. He also suggested the catch can.

Look forward to giving it a go.
You will love the Wagner PCV valve. For me, it was like magic after it was tuned. Note: Make sure the valve and motor are hot when you tune it, this is critical to get the right tune. If you doubt the engine is hot enough, then, turn the adjustment an additional 1/4 turn clockwise to get it perfect.

Sounds like we have the same valve covers. See my last post, I refuse to ruin these expensive valve covers with a drill through. If you figure out an elegant way with buttonheads or countersinking, please post a pic. Thanks !

Harry
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 2:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
You will love the Wagner PCV valve. For me, it was like magic after it was tuned. Note: Make sure the valve and motor are hot when you tune it, this is critical to get the right tune. If you doubt the engine is hot enough, then, turn the adjustment an additional 1/4 turn clockwise to get it perfect.

Sounds like we have the same valve covers. See my last post, I refuse to ruin these expensive valve covers with a drill through. If you figure out an elegant way with buttonheads or countersinking, please post a pic. Thanks !

When I switched to these valve covers, which I think are amazing looking but drives me nuts they did not baffle! I put the Moroso grommets in and was getting blow by around the breather and PCV..so I changed PCV valves to an AC Delco that folks on here suggested. NO more blow by but now smoke out of the tail pipes that I NEVER had. So first going to try the valve, if that does not fix it , my thougth was to make a small baffle like Wagner has on their site and drill two small holes and come up with a way to make it look good. Gene at Wagner said he saw people with these covers just countersink the holes a little so the a tapered allen head bolt sits flush and they look pretty trick. But that will be a last resort. Also plan on putting a Moroso 85497 can on the firewall.

Will also try various grommet setups to see if what you have works for me.. On my breather side took one of the Moroso grommets that have no hole in the bottom and took sidecuts and made holes in the sides of them...so nothing is coming up directly into it, comes from the sides, seemed to work well. BUT they don't make them in the 3/4" diameter hole just 1" so doing that on the PCV side is not an option

Got the idea here
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 2:37 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
When I switched to these valve covers, which I think are amazing looking but drives me nuts they did not baffle! I put the Moroso grommets in and was getting blow by around the breather and PCV..so I changed PCV valves to an AC Delco that folks on here suggested. NO more blow by but now smoke out of the tail pipes that I NEVER had. So first going to try the valve, if that does not fix it , my thougth was to make a small baffle like Wagner has on their site and drill two small holes and come up with a way to make it look good. Gene at Wagner said he saw people with these covers just countersink the holes a little so the a tapered allen head bolt sits flush and they look pretty trick. But that will be a last resort. Also plan on putting a Moroso 85497 can on the firewall.

Will also try various grommet setups to see if what you have works for me.. On my breather side took one of the Moroso grommets that have no hole in the bottom and took sidecuts and made holes in the sides of them...so nothing is coming up directly into it, comes from the sides, seemed to work well. BUT they don't make them in the 3/4" diameter hole just 1" so doing that on the PCV side is not an option
fyi, here are some pics of my setup. Note: I am running the "lighter" spring in the Wagner PCV, and you can see my screw setting with approx. 9 in hg of vacuum at idle at 850 rpm (manual transmission).

Pats70ss likes this.

Harry
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 6:56 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Add W1 makes a nice catch can, Well made.

https://www.addw1.com/

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 8:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kory

I was happy with the results of adding an adjustable PCV and catch can on my 496 over just breathers. Mostly less crankcase vapor smell.

I made the pieces, so the PCV is just a needle and seat type deal where I can adjust the orifice size, no fancy check ball or second circuit.

Depending on how I adjusted it, I can get either a couple drops of oil in the catch can, or ounces. I settled on an adjustment where the breather hole on the other valve cover is pulling a vacuum at any rpm (free revving it), that gets the catch can about 1/2oz in 1000 miles.

Nobody has noticed the catch can mounted on the back of the driver's side cyl head, I wanted it to be mostly hidden.
boyd66k20 likes this.

67 Chevelle owned since high school
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in