Performance Our High Performance area

3Likes
  • 3 Post By 72BB Nova

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 4:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Morel lifter and Straub HR cam update with dyno numbers

Last summer I had to do a cam and lifter swap in my 75 C20 454. Cam specs are 210/[email protected] .553in .481ex lift on a 109 lobe separation. The morel lifters are the Street Performance part #5374. I've put over 3200 miles on it since the change and everything is working great. I had noise at first but they did quiet down. There was a point when I had between 1000-1500 miles on it that they would for no apparent reason just start making noise, confusing AND frustrating. The more miles I put on it the less that happened. Now on a rare occasion I will here a click or two and then nothing.
With the cam I also upgraded the intake to the Chevy version of the Performer RPM Qjet, "identical" and went from a 750 qjet to a Sean Murphy 800 qjet.

Dyno numbers, flash back to July 2017. I did a base line to see what I had. The truck had 53,000 miles on it. Everything was stock except a small ignition upgrade, better coil and module in stock HEI distributor, flat cast iron intake, 750 qjet, cast iron exhaust manifolds into 2" dual exhaust no cats generic turbo mufflers, stock exit behind rear tires. HP was [email protected] and torque was [email protected], not impressive.

Upgrades are, cam and lifters, intake, carb, and 1-3/4" full length tube headers into 2-1/2" exhaust with X pipe, Dyna Max Ultra Flow mufflers and exiting behind rear tires. HP was [email protected] and torque was [email protected] I was very pleased with a 40HP gain but a little disappointed in the torque numbers. The guy that ran it was very impressed with just doing some basic bolt on parts. Mileage also increased, before I was getting 8-9 city/hwy I checked it a couple weeks ago and got 11.6 city/hwy, double digit gas mileage .
The heads are 781's and I pretty sure they've never been off. Not huge numbers but nice gains for a little work.
von, mr 4 speed and 71454Chevelle like this.

Jeff
1972 Nova
496/T56 Magnum/3.73
1964 Corvair Spyder coupe
1975 C20 Camper Special 454/TH400

Last edited by 72BB Nova; Jun 29th, 19 at 4:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 6:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Morel lifter and Straub HR cam update with dyno numbers

A lot of things changed at one time but a gain is a gain!
Especially gaining from 8/9 mpg to 11.6!!
That's always nice!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
andy

Well that is something like a 25% increase in power, nothing to sneeze at!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Morel lifter and Straub HR cam update with dyno numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BB Nova View Post
Last summer I had to do a cam and lifter swap in my 75 C20 454. Cam specs are 210/[email protected] .553in .481ex lift on a 109 lobe separation. The morel lifters are the Street Performance part #5374. I've put over 3200 miles on it since the change and everything is working great. I had noise at first but they did quiet down. There was a point when I had between 1000-1500 miles on it that they would for no apparent reason just start making noise, confusing AND frustrating. The more miles I put on it the less that happened. Now on a rare occasion I will here a click or two and then nothing.
With the cam I also upgraded the intake to the Chevy version of the Performer RPM Qjet, "identical" and went from a 750 qjet to a Sean Murphy 800 qjet.

Dyno numbers, flash back to July 2017. I did a base line to see what I had. The truck had 53,000 miles on it. Everything was stock except a small ignition upgrade, better coil and module in stock HEI distributor, flat cast iron intake, 750 qjet, cast iron exhaust manifolds into 2" dual exhaust no cats generic turbo mufflers, stock exit behind rear tires. HP was [email protected] and torque was [email protected], not impressive.

Upgrades are, cam and lifters, intake, carb, and 1-3/4" full length tube headers into 2-1/2" exhaust with X pipe, Dyna Max Ultra Flow mufflers and exiting behind rear tires. HP was [email protected] and torque was [email protected] I was very pleased with a 40HP gain but a little disappointed in the torque numbers. The guy that ran it was very impressed with just doing some basic bolt on parts. Mileage also increased, before I was getting 8-9 city/hwy I checked it a couple weeks ago and got 11.6 city/hwy, double digit gas mileage .
The heads are 781's and I pretty sure they've never been off. Not huge numbers but nice gains for a little work.
Those lifters are not the noisy ones as the 5374 are made by Eaton to Morel's specs. Very nice results and gains..

Website is up and running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in