MSD 6530 boost retard question - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

MSD 6530 boost retard question

Iíll be installing a MSD 6530 and MSD pro billet dist (with vacuum adv ) in a few weeks and have a question about setting up a vacuum advance curve. With the mech and vac advance locked out, Iím building a run curve for a big block thatís 16 deg initial 34 deg max all in at 2800.
If I decide to install a map sensor and build a map to allow a 10 degree advance curve, will the run curve need to be modified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 1:15 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Re: MSD 6530 boost retard question

Hope this image will help a little.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	596546
If I build the run retard curve first and upload it will it need to be modified later to keep the same values if I add the boost retard curve and map sensor?
Sorry for any confusion.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 2:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

The run curve runs independently of anything else. So if you have a run curve taking timing out over x time, say 6 degrees and ramping back in over 2 seconds, and you have boost, say 5 psi with 1įout per psi, then you would have 11 degrees out total for a period of time.

Keep in mind rotor phasing is very important when you are dealing with this.
Greg Owens and flht01 like this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.02 at 171mph:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Thanks for the reply. Iíll have to do a lot more research to fully understand most of it the timing x time with boost retard threw me a curve. I do remember seeing a comment on phasing the rotor but havenít started reading up on it yet.
Point and condenser I can do, the electronic versions not so much.
If I understand this correctly (and to bring it down to a level I can start to understand), if I install the locked distributor, set it at 16 deg btdc at an idle I should have approx 36 deg btdc at 3200 rpm and up with only the first chart uploaded.

When I install the map sensor and upload the second chart, I should have the same timing curve as before with an additional 10 degrees when the vacuum conditions allow. (?)

If anybody has suggestions for additional information on this please post (or im) the links. While a little overwhelmed itís been an interesting read. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 6:39 PM
Team Member
Jim

No. You have to install the locked out distributor at the highest point of timing advance that you want the engine to see throughout its rpm and load range. The 6530 can only retard timing, it cannot add degrees of timing. For example, I set my distributor in locked at 40 degrees advanced. My run curve has a start retard of 10 degrees from 0 to 600rpm for easier starting. My engine idles at 900-1000rpm and likes the 40 degrees of advance at idle and low load cruise when vacuum is at its highest. Overall, after the start retard, my run curve retardis zero. Now, I donít want to be under moderate to high engine load with timing at 40 degrees, this is where the map sensor (vacuum curve) comes in and retards timing as vacuum drops, at full throttle, and very low/no vacuum I pull a total of 8 degrees from the timing yielding 32 degrees. Hope that helps.
Greg Owens and flht01 like this.

1975 Malibu (was grandma's straight 6 car)
496 BBC (AFR 265's, Straub Hyd Roller, Callies/SRP rotator, Eddy Air-Gap, AED 850)
Jake's TH400 / 3.73s

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 6:46 PM
Tech Team

btags beat me to it. He is correct. the 6530 can only retard timing. So based on your screen shot you would be installing the locked distributor at 38 degrees. That would mean pulling 22 degrees to get to 16 degrees. This would likely lead to a cross firing situation as that is a ton of timing to pull.

As Rick mentioned, rotor phasing plays a big part in all of this but I just don't know if even a perfectly phased rotor would work with pulling 22 degrees. But it might....I just haven't tried it.
flht01 likes this.

406 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, 10 psi., AIS meth injection, Carb Shop 750 (Sniper EFI conversion 2019)
1.319 60', [email protected] on pump gas
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by btags View Post
... start retard of 10 degrees from 0 to 600rpm for easier starting ... Hope that helps.

Start retard is 10 degrees off of the 40 total timing?

Big help, thanks.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 7:45 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
btags beat me to it. He is correct. the 6530 can only retard timing. So based on your screen shot you would be installing the locked distributor at 38 degrees. That would mean pulling 22 degrees to get to 16 degrees. This would likely lead to a cross firing situation as that is a ton of timing to pull.

As Rick mentioned, rotor phasing plays a big part in all of this but I just don't know if even a perfectly phased rotor would work with pulling 22 degrees. But it might....I just haven't tried it.

Thanks for commenting on the amount of timing in these curves. To be honest, I was just tryIng to get the timing at cranking as close to the factory spec as possible to keep from overloading the stock starter. I didnít realize I was pushing the limit that far.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 8:00 AM
Tech Team
Durand

With a vac. advance distributor why use a map sensor?
Wouldn't it be better to use the distributor vacuum can?

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 9:46 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post

With the map sensor the software is able to build a curve using any vacuum values you want. So if youíre running a cam that isnít creating a lot of vacuum you can still build a curve for it. At least thatís my take on it. You can also set the number of degrees you want added.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 9:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
No, because digitally you can make micro changes via a keyboard on a point by point graph. So lock out the distributor and do everything electronically.

If you want to keep VAC advance you might as well just put a simple ignition amplifier in there, because it's a total waste of the 6530's capabilities.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 9:11 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
The run curve runs independently of anything else. So if you have a run curve taking timing out over x time, say 6 degrees and ramping back in over 2 seconds, and you have boost, say 5 psi with 1įout per psi, then you would have 11 degrees out total for a period of time.

Keep in mind rotor phasing is very important when you are dealing with this.

I finally found a little info on delayed step retard settings in the help files but canít really understand the benefits just yet. This system has a lot of functions to explore, some are a little confusing at best.

Found quite a bit on rotor phasing but didnít see anyone using a clear cap. Would that be an option instead of drilling a cap?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 9:16 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht01 View Post
With the map sensor the software is able to build a curve using any vacuum values you want. So if youíre running a cam that isnít creating a lot of vacuum you can still build a curve for it. At least thatís my take on it. You can also set the number of degrees you want added.

The MSD Graph View software for the MSD 6530 will not ever add timing. It can only retard timing. The MAP based curve is boost retard. It can only remove timing under boost. It cannot add timing under vacuum. So if you are naturally aspirated there is no reason to add the MAP sensor.

At least that is the case with the version I have but it is 5+ years old. They may have changed it.
flht01 likes this.

406 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, 10 psi., AIS meth injection, Carb Shop 750 (Sniper EFI conversion 2019)
1.319 60', [email protected] on pump gas
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
The MSD Graph View software for the MSD 6530 will not ever add timing. It can only retard timing. The MAP based curve is boost retard. It can only remove timing under boost. It cannot add timing under vacuum.

I got my words a little backwards but understand the logic, at least a little better than before. BTW, If the MAP sensor reading is 14.75psiA or less, its actually vacuum. With these readings you can manipulate the timing based on vacuum in addition to the rpm curve.

When youríe using two curves at the same time it gets a little confusing. The way I have it figured, the boost curve will remove timing in addition to the run curve. I think...

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 5:03 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht01 View Post
... BTW, If the MAP sensor reading is 14.75psiA or less, its actually vacuum. With these readings you can manipulate the timing based on vacuum in addition to the rpm curve ...
I found this topic
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthr...t=48612&page=4
starting at post 34 helped with understanding the map sensor and vacuum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in