7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 6:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Re: MSD 6530 boost retard question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
Keep in mind rotor phasing is very important when you are dealing with this.
and this thread:
https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20289
on the advance/retard limits of this system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 9:08 AM
Tech Team
Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht01 View Post
With the map sensor the software is able to build a curve using any vacuum values you want. So if you’re running a cam that isn’t creating a lot of vacuum you can still build a curve for it. At least that’s my take on it. You can also set the number of degrees you want added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed, the map sensor/software allows for easy accurate adjusts.
But they also make adjustable vacuum cans and limiting stops, to deal with low vacuum situations.

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
The MSD Graph View software for the MSD 6530 will not ever add timing. It can only retard timing. The MAP based curve is boost retard. It can only remove timing under boost. It cannot add timing under vacuum. So if you are naturally aspirated there is no reason to add the MAP sensor.

At least that is the case with the version I have but it is 5+ years old. They may have changed it.

You can technically add timing. Even with EFI and coil on plugs when you "add" timing, you are technically only removing retard. So with the 6530 you essentially set the pickup to run the most timing you will ever want to run. So if it likes a cruise of 45°, but most everywhere else you want to be 34-35, you setup the 0 point at 45 and always run 11° of retard. Then when you want to "add" timing with the MAP based strategy, you are simply removing retard to "add".

If you upgrade to a crab cap, you have a pretty big window of advance/retard to play with.

Even with a small cap we have used 24° of timing swing 38° to 14° and the 14° is during boost and wot trying to help manage traction.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.02 at 171mph:

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
Agreed, the map sensor/software allows for easy accurate adjusts.
But they also make adjustable vacuum cans and limiting stops, to deal with low vacuum situations.
I really say this nicely, but I think you are missing the entire point of going to a box like a 6530.

My guess is that you have never actually played with the software to see exactly what it can do.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 3:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Quote:
You can technically add timing. Even with EFI and coil on plugs when you "add" timing, you are technically only removing retard. So with the 6530 you essentially set the pickup to run the most timing you will ever want to run. So if it likes a cruise of 45°, but most everywhere else you want to be 34-35, you setup the 0 point at 45 and always run 11° of retard. Then when you want to "add" timing with the MAP based strategy, you are simply removing retard to "add".

If you upgrade to a crab cap, you have a pretty big window of advance/retard to play with.

Even with a small cap we have used 24° of timing swing 38° to 14° and the 14° is during boost and wot trying to help manage traction.
What would your initial timing be with the settings above?
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

MSD 6530 boost retard question

Quote:

Somehow I missed this. The distributor I bought has the small cap. I was beginning to think I wouldn’t be able to get the settings I wanted without upgrading to the bigger cap.
Is rotor phasing all you had to do to get that much retard without crossfire problems?

And, is the crab cap you mentioned their adapt-a-cap with adj. rotor kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 11:19 PM
Tech Team

flht,

Based on the 2 graphs you posted (as best I can see them with my old eyes, lol)you would install the locked distributor at 36* to achieve the "max timing" you label at 3,000 RPM in the run curve. So, out on the road if you are at 3,000 RPM and above with only part throttle so you have high vacuum you will be at 36*.

However, if you go wot at 3,000 RPM, vacuum will go to 0 (which is 14-14.5 on the boost axis depending where you live) your boost curve will pull 10* and you will be running at 26* total. Is that what you are wanting?

If you want your cruise timing to be higher, you will have to stab the distributor in at more than 36*. Say 42* if that is what you wanted for cruise. That would give you 32* at WOT above 3,000 RPM. Now for starting you would be pulling even more timing to go easy on the starter which means even higher chance of cross fire and kick back. At that point I'd recommend an ignition cutout switch so you can get the engine spinning over with no spark then flip the switch to light the fire. That is what I did when I had the 6530 in mine.
flht01 likes this.

400 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, Super Sniper EFI conversion 2019
1.30 60', 5.95[email protected] on pump gas
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 6:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
Is that what you are wanting?
When I first posted the charts I didn't understand how the two curves worked together. When Calculated Risk posted this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk
I think a light came on for me. You had also made a comment about removing retard but it just never clicked.

The biggest hurdle I have now is phasing the rotor and getting enough timing in without crossfiring. If the small cap doesn't get it I will have to pick up the bigger cap.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 7:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

This is the timing curve I am planning on loading.
40 deg max locked in
16 deg btdc initial (up to 1200)
32 deg max cent
8 deg vac
all in at 2800

with a 24 deg total retard, rotor will be phased to eliminate possibility of crossfiring

Any comments appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSD TIMING EXAMPLE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	596728  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in