zz502 collapsed lifter?? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 9:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

zz502 collapsed lifter??

Hi guys been awhile since I posted here. So ill just get right to it.

So end of last year i topped off the tank w some gas/stabil added and drove around for about a half hour to make sure the stabil and gas made it way into carb, Got her home and pulled her up on my 4 post rack. Let her cool down covered her and hoisted her up in the air for hibernation. Oh and pulled the batt and put it on bench w tender on. No issues nothing.

So i finally got around to firing her up this year. Put batt in and turned the key. Fired up second try...but the joy was quickly wiped off my face with horror! I could not believe the noise and rough idle. I quickly shut it down. Started it again and same thing.

So my buddy came over yesterday and he thinks its a collapsed lifter. Makes sense because it sounded like it was way outta time. With a very shaky idle. Oil pressure popped up to almost 60 everything else was fine.

So first off how common is this? All it did was sit for the winter. Keep in mind this car and engine was put together in 2014. Thats 9 yrs. Have you ever heard of a lifter collapsing by just sitting over the winter?

Crazey Davey helped me put this together. Is he still around?? Its a Lunati cam, Comp gold roller rockers, stock push rods and stock roller lifters. Stock valves shimmed to about 142lbs. Davey said everything would be fine. So after bugs worked out he was right and I never had a problem with the engine till now. So im a little freaked out.

Should I just swap out the lifter and be done? or would you guys get rid of these stock 502 lifters?

Thnx and Happy Fathers day to all the Dads here!!
91c1500sleeper likes this.

10 year Frame-off finally done...oh wait are they ever done??
ZZ502
Lunati cam, Pro-Sytems 1000HP carb
TKO600

Link to some early restoration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link here to the project section newest pictures and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: zz502 collapsed lifter??

Sometimes lifters bleed down after sitting for a while and need a bit of run time to pump back up. Or... you may have gotten some dirt in one and it won't pump up.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 11:50 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

or you got a vacuum leak due to a hose that gave up over the winter. check all the hoses including the PB and PCV by running your fingers along looking for a collapsed or split hose. The weirder the deal seems to be the more important it is to start with the basics.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:08 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

Sitting for a long period, never just start the engine up.
Disconnect the distributor so there is no spark. Crank the engine intermittently about 5 seconds at a time, until the oil pressure maxes out while it’s cranking. Now crank for 5 seconds intervals about another 10 times.
Then connect the distributor and start it.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Thnx Kerry and in reality your 100% correct. However and im not trying to get in any kinda of debate on this. But I have never done that on any car ive ever had unless it was a first time start or it sat for YEARS. Ive never had a problem up until now and even by doing what you say I dont think it would have made a difference. Yes its not really the right thing to do but like I said ive always done it. With todays synthetics adhering to everything It should be fine. Heck they drained the oil out of engines with synthetic and ran them with no oil. But yes your right it should be done.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
or you got a vacuum leak due to a hose that gave up over the winter. check all the hoses including the PB and PCV by running your fingers along looking for a collapsed or split hose. The weirder the deal seems to be the more important it is to start with the basics.
Would a bad vac line really make it sound out of time with an extremely rough idle? I know ive heard them suck air with a lil rough idle but not making the noise this thing is.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Thnx for the tips, im going to try and break it down today or tmr. So ill let ya guys know.

By the way noone said is Crazey Davey still around?

ZZ502
TKO600

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Vacuum leak, spider eggs in an air bleed, stuck advance weights, bad gas. Usually these things self correct after running for a little bet, well except the bad gas.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:50 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Frank,
How long did you let it run ?? I had a hydraulic lifter in my Heavy Chevy back years ago that would do the same thing every once in a while whether the car sat or not. I would shut it off and let it sit a half hour and it would be fine. I would try running it a few minutes and see what happens.

This is going to sound crude but I would pull the valve covers and see if you can tell which one is stuck. Turn the engine over by hand so that valve is definitely shut and just let it sit a while. Maybe even tap on the pushrod end of the rocker with a small hammer and see what happens. It might pop loose and be good to go.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:54 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

This is what i always do if my engine sits for a long period.I take the distributor out and prime the engine with my oil pump tool.Rotate 180 and prime again.No other method is as good period.I prime the carb and start vehicle ,prime again until it gets its own fuel.Never run an engine on low oil pressure which is what you have when just cranking.How fast you get the oil pressure to the cam and bearings is what makes or breaks over time.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post

By the way noone said is Crazey Davey still around?
He passed away last year

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 2:17 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

2014 was five years ago, not nine.

You've got some diagnosis to go through and a number of things to eliminate before you can somehow assume it's a lifter, IMHO.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

If this is a hydraulic roller, it's a common problem with irrigation engines. Farmers shut 'em off warm and left them to sit all winter. When they fired them back up, the oil was gooey in the lifter. Sometimes the same condition happened in the roller and the lifter would skip on the cam, eventually taking it out.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 2:19 AM
Tech Team

my 2000 winnebago has a 454,and last spring when i got it out it was clattering something fierce.but ran o.k. thought it was low on oil so checked it and it was a little high,so figured should change it anyway so went to pull plug and before it came out i got a little anti freeze,thought great what now.so pulled intake and i had 4 lifters that came apart,so ended up replacing all the lifters and the 4 pushrods.she's smooth as silk now.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 4:24 AM
Tech Team

Another thought, run a quart of trans fluid in the oil until it is warm, drive it around the block and then change your oil. May have junk in there that needs cleaned out.. transmission fluid does a great job at cleaning.
71350SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in