LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Re: zz502 collapsed lifter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Frank,
How long did you let it run ?? I had a hydraulic lifter in my Heavy Chevy back years ago that would do the same thing every once in a while whether the car sat or not. I would shut it off and let it sit a half hour and it would be fine. I would try running it a few minutes and see what happens.

This is going to sound crude but I would pull the valve covers and see if you can tell which one is stuck. Turn the engine over by hand so that valve is definitely shut and just let it sit a while. Maybe even tap on the pushrod end of the rocker with a small hammer and see what happens. It might pop loose and be good to go.

Not long at all. It freaked me out. Maybe about a minute each time. Im scared im going to break something.

I read about letting some oil out and adding Trans fluid but not driving it. Just letting it idle and get hot.

Oh its nothing to pull the valve cover in fact it really is no big deal to pull carb and intake. Theres really nothing there lol. What 8 bolts for valve covers, 4 for carb and 12 i think for intake? Worst thing will be buying new intake gasket lol Just gotta get out there and do it.

But do you guys think itll be ok to run like that and see if the heat and oil pressure will maybe free it up and prime it again? If its a exhaust valve which we think is why im getting the rough idle no where for the detonated fuel to go. Just scared like I said of breaking something.

10 year Frame-off finally done...oh wait are they ever done??
ZZ502
Lunati cam, Pro-Sytems 1000HP carb
TKO600

Link to some early restoration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link here to the project section newest pictures and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 3:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
He passed away last year

Oh NO!! This really saddens me. God speed Davey youll defintely be missed. I wish I could have thanked you again for all the hours you spent helping me and never complained. Thank you....Rest in peace my friend.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 3:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
2014 was five years ago, not nine.

You've got some diagnosis to go through and a number of things to eliminate before you can somehow assume it's a lifter, IMHO.
Yea howd i get 9? lol Musta been thinking 2019 and went with the 9?? I dont know??

Well im pretty sure if not positive it is not vacuum or weights in dist or bad gas. Its coming from pass side up top. Theres only a few things there. Considering it just sat all winter and was fine when i drove it in garage before winter. I dont know theres always a possibility. Already checked all plug wires etc. The way it sounds is one time along time ago a rocker arm broke on me and it sounded the same way. Ill know for sure when i pull valve cover.

Im just trying to decide if i should let it run till it gets hot and see if it lets loose. As in the lifter frees up and primes.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 3:40 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Frank,
I would pull the valve cover and make sure something isnt broken first. Maybe a valve stuck open ? I dont think it should hurt anything to run it a few minutes but then again I am not there listening to it

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Ok so i just got around to pulling valve covers. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. The rockers had some wiggle but nothing crazy. Didnt see any metal shavings or anything anywhere. Spun the push rods and nothing seems bent. Checked vacuum hoses and plug wires on cap. Nothing wrong.

The only thing i seen was a couple puddles on driver side collected on bottom of head like a grayish pasty oil with some water mixed in. Not alot im assuming its just moisture from sitting through winter. Nothing in oil and no unusual smell.

So everything looks well coated in oil so i pulled all the plug wires and turned it over in short 2-3 second bursts. I did kinda hear something still at first but it seemed to quiet down. The rockers also stiffened up more. The motor wasnt shaking all around but it also wasnt firing. I kinda felt something in shifter but i think its just starter and engine turning over. Prob getting paranoid now. So im wondering if i just didnt let it run long enough to prime up lifters??

So i guess i could check lash but it ran fine last year no ticking nothing. This is a full roller so i would think the cam lubes are fine.

Oh and i also got a piece of 2x4 and put it over the rocker and wacked it on the valve spring side with a hammer. Seemed like they all gave and popped back. I didnt slam it but a good wack with a 2lb hammer. You can hear them pop back

So i guess im just gonna go get some mystery oil let it run down the push rods to lifters and add rest to oil, Well gona drain some oil first. Then button it up and let it run/idle till it gets hot and see what happens. Maybe the valves werent opening all the way cause lifters werent all primed? I dont know...

What do you guys think? Am i forgetting something?

ZZ502
TKO600

post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 3:40 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
So i guess im just gonna go get some mystery oil let it run down the push rods to lifters and add rest to oil,

I would not waste my money or time on the MMO. If it was a nasty sludged up old engine, maybe, but on something that new it isn't needed. Just my opinion.

Just button it back up and start it and see what happens.
lucifershammer likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 4:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I use Rislone engine treatment, works better than MMO.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Start it up, pull plug wires one at a time till you find the dead cyl. to narrow your search. Then check that cylinders valves, intake runners for vac leak,compression etc.
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Ok so I button'd it up and changed the oil and filter for good measure. Prob a good thing i did. That grayish grap that was a little bit sitting in head pretty much was all in the filter. I also had a couple droplets of water drip outta drain plug when i cracked it loose. But that was it.

So i started it up and theres alot of noise gone but the lifter still rattling. I let it idle with some help till it got up to temp. It never did go away. Even after pulling the plug wires it still kept making noise. But the exhaust was smoking bad. It wasnt oil. It was lighter in color and was burning my eyes. So thats gotta be unburnt fuel. It reminded me of the first time i tried dialing it in. Im assuming its from the valves not opening all the way? I thought maybe i have a blown head gasket but the oil level isnt going up and no signs of bubbles or anything.

So i dont know guess i gotta pull the manifold and see whats up. Its definitely coming from driver side one of the 2 front cylinders. If the valves arent opening all the way that would cause it to smoke like this right?

This just amazes me cause it ran perfectly fine when i put it away before the winter. Is it normal to have to readjust lash after a winter of sitting? I havent done it again since i dialed it in 4 years ago.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If you had that much moisture in the oil, you also have moisture in the exhaust. I'd take it for a ride and stabilize the temp everywhere to burn off the moisture.

post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Im kinda scared to drive it making that much noise.

We did have a crazy winter where we hit -30 with windchill on days and was as high as the 60's a couple days later. This past winter was a crazy even for the midwest. Im just south east of Chicago in N.W Indiana.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If its making that much noise its time to pop it apart. It should be pretty obvious where the issue is.

post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Its got me thinking now. If that moisture is all through the motor then thats whats probably in my lifters not letting the oil get in there and prime them up. Im gona let it sit and keep trying to warm it up and flush it out. Thats gotta be a very good possibility of the problem. Because i hate to keep saying this but it ran fine end of last yr.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
If its making that much noise its time to pop it apart. It should be pretty obvious where the issue is.
I took off the valve covers already. Some rockers were loose but nothing broke or bent. So i was hoping they would prime up. Im thinking i should have put that MMO in it now to flush it out. I may have to try it. Beats breaking it all down right now anyway.

ZZ502
TKO600

post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Way too much liquid, that's more than just moisture.
Now you need to find the coolant leak. I wouldn't worry about the lifter just yet.It should clean itself out eventually. Hydraulic I assume?
Too rich=black smoke, coolant=white smoke, oil=blue smoke
I believe the cruddy oil is the culprit, valve out of adjustment will not create that milky oil, that's coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in