Went drag racing - major break down - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 3:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Went drag racing - major break down

60ft's have always been a struggle in this car, so I put a 2 step it in. Set to a mild 2700 rpm and held with about 70% throttle, I released the clutch and BANG.

While the ring gear sheering all the teeth off is one thing, how the hell do I spin the driveshaft too? The diff destruction should have relieved all the energy. A Denny's 3.5" DS that they said could easily hold 750 hp, but it didn't hold my 370 rwhp.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

Last edited by davewho1; Jun 2nd, 19 at 2:51 AM. Reason: title sp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 3:52 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
60ft's have always been a struggle in this car, so I put a 2 step it in. Set to a mild 2700 rpm and held with about 70% throttle, I released the clutch and BANG.

While the ring gear sheering all the teeth off is one thing, how the hell do I spin the driveshaft too? The diff destruction should have relieved all the energy. A Denny's 3.5" DS that they said could easily hold 750 hp, but it didn't hold my 370 rwhp.

Ouch I am sorry to see and hear about that....and that terrifies me. I wonder if it's due to your clutch having absolutely no slip to it.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 3:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Went drag racing - major brake down

Ouch.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 3:59 PM
Tech Team

No fun breaking stuff, but you must admit that is pretty cool carnage!

Will the driveshaft be warrantied?

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407 / TKO600 / 4.11
11.41 at 121 MPH
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 4:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I'm guessing when the diff gave it up, the loose stuff locked it up, giving the driveshaft all the torque with nowhere to send it.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 4:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
I'm guessing when the diff gave it up, the loose stuff locked it up, giving the driveshaft all the torque with nowhere to send it.
I suppose it's possible, I'll have to watch the video to analyze a bit. But I do know for sure it broke instantly, and still rolled forward so I could steer it off the racing line.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

What clutch?

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 5:54 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
This^^^ I have one hanging on the wall twisted in half from my sons stick car rear end broke and twisted driveshaft in two.
Steve R likes this.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
What clutch?
McLeod RXT

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
This^^^ I have one hanging on the wall twisted in half from my sons stick car rear end broke and twisted driveshaft in two.
Did the rear end sheer the teeth like mine did?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 6:53 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Maybe time to call Moser for a rear. You don't know on yours after 50 years it may have some issues (some visable and others hidden). Today's aftermarket 12 bolts are beefier and with your stick shift you might want to consider it.
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
Maybe time to call Moser for a rear. You don't know on yours after 50 years it may have some issues (some visable and others hidden). Today's aftermarket 12 bolts are beefier and with your stick shift you might want to consider it.
That is the plan. The problem is I would like to switch to coil-overs and I don't know if I can get them to fit around my 3" exhaust. Plus I want to mini-tub in the future and thus cant decide if I should go with a narrowed rear end or not.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 7:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

if this is primarily a drag car put a pro gear in it. they are made with a different alloy designed for higher shock loading but they will wear out driving many miles on the street
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:14 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
Did the rear end sheer the teeth like mine did?
Yes, but was a 8.8 ford
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
I have a Strange S60 Dana with an S-trac helical gear posi on it's way.

Complete assembly for a 67.

Looks like I may need it. Scary stuff
-SS454-, Kirk's67SS and paul bell like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in