Went drag racing - major break down - Page 8 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 3:23 AM
Tech Team

Seriously that sucks! Let us know how they take care of you. Heck I was looking into Moser for my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 6:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Went drag racing - major break down

Boy that sucks big time

The S60 I bought from Strange came in Aug. 2013 ($3,495.00 Cdn) and was built perfectly
dropped right in and bolted up to the UMI Perf Upper Adj Control Arms and Boxed Lower CAs
paul bell likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

I’m in the process of upgrading my clutch to handle my twin turbo setup. I’m going to sell my McLeod Soft Lok which is exactly what you need. Completely freshened up with all new stuff will be almost half price of new.

Jim
Pat_McNeil likes this.

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"

post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Test and Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Hotrod View Post
Iím in the process of upgrading my clutch to handle my twin turbo setup. Iím going to sell my McLeod Soft Lok which is exactly what you need. Completely freshened up with all new stuff will be almost half price of new.

Jim
Best deal from the BEST guy you will ever have the pleasure of doing business with!
Pat
WHT/73 likes this.

'69 Chevelle 416" LSA TONY MAMO TFS Heads and custom Hyd roller cam.
Best 60' so far....1.34

Steve Sharp Turbo 400
Motivational Engineering 3.07 12 bolt rear.
Chris Alston's complete "Auto - Cross" coil-over suspension.
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 2:01 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
My brand new Moser diff showed up today. Excited because I need to get it installed so I can measure for the driveshaft.

But wait, it's not powder coated. The brackets are wrong. The wrong brake kit. Huge let down by Moser. I did double check everything else, even the gears. The lightning gears do look pretty. Too bad I can't use the diff.
doesn't surprise me. we did a moser 12 bolt in my old mans Camaro... needles to say we had to change out the ring n pinion set it hauled so badly. after resetting it 3 times we bough a new Richmond set. The thing still hauls a little, I swear the axle is bent right from them. price was very similar to yours. all said in done we should have done a strange s60. 2/3's the price, setup right, and quiet. I got one in my ride with a true trac and it just works. 35 spline. main caps large enough a girdle is not required up to 1000hp mark. keep a stock cover on it and you can barely tell its a dana. 20lbs heavier than a 12bolt, never did weight the two side by side so its just hear say. best of luck with the moser.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 9:24 AM

I did stick shift drag racing for several years, using a T56/LS combo in a 3500lb raceweight Camaro running high 10's.

I broke enough parts I think I actually learned a few things!

1) Tires are everything. A stiff wall slick (MT3055S 28" slickis what I used) is the main component to keeping parts alive. Drag radials are brutal on the drivetrain.
2) The posi won't last. I had to go to a spool early. But that twisted the axle splines, so had to upgrade from 31 to 35 spline axles. Problem fixed.
3) Don't fear the gear! Went from 4.11, broke that. 4.30, broke that, then finally a 4.56. The 4.56 worked so much better and was so much less violent on the launch.
4) Suspension bushings need to be "solid". Maybe not rod ends, but certainly not rubber. I actually broke suspension parts and bushings wore, causing a yaw moment in the rear end at launch. Put things in a bad position.
5) Don't dead hook. A good stick shift launch should turn the tires a couple of revolutions as it moves forward. This keeps the engine RPM up and the car moving. And unlike a Drag Radial that doesn't recover while spinning, a slick will. I usually had 1.45-1.47 60' times one the car was dialed in.

Good luck!
oliver69 and DragRac69 like this.
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 4:41 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
I did stick shift drag racing for several years, using a T56/LS combo in a 3500lb raceweight Camaro running high 10's.

I broke enough parts I think I actually learned a few things!

1) Tires are everything. A stiff wall slick (MT3055S 28" slickis what I used) is the main component to keeping parts alive. Drag radials are brutal on the drivetrain.
2) The posi won't last. I had to go to a spool early. But that twisted the axle splines, so had to upgrade from 31 to 35 spline axles. Problem fixed.
3) Don't fear the gear! Went from 4.11, broke that. 4.30, broke that, then finally a 4.56. The 4.56 worked so much better and was so much less violent on the launch.
4) Suspension bushings need to be "solid". Maybe not rod ends, but certainly not rubber. I actually broke suspension parts and bushings wore, causing a yaw moment in the rear end at launch. Put things in a bad position.
5) Don't dead hook. A good stick shift launch should turn the tires a couple of revolutions as it moves forward. This keeps the engine RPM up and the car moving. And unlike a Drag Radial that doesn't recover while spinning, a slick will. I usually had 1.45-1.47 60' times one the car was dialed in.

Good luck!
Looks like the lesson you missed early on is that it's possible for a clutch to hit too hard. Learn that lesson early, you likely won't need to learn the others.

Here's a link to a couple videos about a basically stock engine car that starts out with a hard hitting dual disc clutch, also 3.73 gear, 28x11.5 bias. They start out w/ the 2step at 5500, result was mucho tire spin. Out of 15 runs experimenting, best result was 3500 2step launch [email protected] with high 1.8 60's. Here's the link...

After they install a single disc and a ClutchTamer to control it, it's able to launch at 6800 and posts a [email protected] with a 1.50 60'. Here's a link to that video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=yuZcEyl_vAE

Grant

Grant
website-

We make your non-adjustable clutch...ADJUSTABLE!
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 7:57 PM

Great post. The Clutch Tamer is new tech that I feel will catch on. At Drag Week last year a couple of the stick shift guys were doing awesome things with the tamer. Sure beats the ol sintered iron soft lock counterweight stuff of yore.
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Great post. The Clutch Tamer is new tech that I feel will catch on. At Drag Week last year a couple of the stick shift guys were doing awesome things with the tamer. Sure beats the ol sintered iron soft lock counterweight stuff of yore.
I'm putting one in my 67 with a 489 and LS type T56.

Looks like a great product.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Hotrod View Post
Iím in the process of upgrading my clutch to handle my twin turbo setup. Iím going to sell my McLeod Soft Lok which is exactly what you need. Completely freshened up with all new stuff will be almost half price of new.

Jim
Soft Lok would work great for drag racing, but I don't think it'd be so great for road racing. What kind of clutch will you be upgrading to?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

I don't see why a soft lok couldn't work for road racing also...just dial up pressures that you need. Might even help cushion the corners. I dunnoÖ.

I'll still be using a sintered iron slipper style...but I'll use an aluminum flywheel this time with levers designed to allow a lot more centrifugal assist to hold the boost and still allow some slippage at the launch with lower static. I had to dial up the old one so much to hold power I didn't have much slippage off the line and was essentially bogging it to launch. Not the fastest way down a track.

The soft lok is good to 1200 hp or so...but my car really works it with heavy weight, big engine and boost and not much gear.

Plus it still has to be street friendly. The soft lok worked great on the street and track...I just got out past it's design limits.

JIM

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Did Moser make it right for you?

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 3:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Did Moser make it right for you?
Moser didn't, but I wasn't dealing with them directly. The outlet I bought it from did have it powder coated, which means completely reassembled.
Pete 67 likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in