57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Went drag racing - major break down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
You may want to consider NOT racing that car. IMO, itís too nice. Maybe get a beater and put an auto in it.

This way you donít have to run the big $$$$ stuff in the Chevelle and still risk big $$$ damage anyway.

No such thing as a car that's too nice to race. But then, if I had the means I'd be the guy buying LS6 Chevelles and Hemi Cudas and taking them to the track. I believe these cars were meant to be driven. Breaking parts is just part of the cost of racing. Once you find all the weak links you're good to go. I haven't broken anything significant in probably 15 years of drag racing, but then I'm also not at the HP and ET level some of these guys are. I'm sure as the ET drops the potential for breakage goes way up.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

This is the one I bought - PRSA05
https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...g-mounts.html/
with the following Options ;
OPRS18
OPRS06
OPRS02
A3151
B1608 11Ē Drum for Ford H1135 ends
and new Brake Lines installed

Installed in my car in 2013 / Engine HP 525+HP

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
i consider myself lucky because i make my own luck. the housing was built by me with 4130 axle tubes and bracing and all mark williams components and a richmond pro gear. i inspect the ring a pinion every year . its a 488 prob go to a 56 when i change engines. the superstock car is harder on rinh and pinions because of the gear ratio. if you are foot breaking a 600 hp street strip car with a 373 gear the ring and pinion should last a ling time
Mine was the stock housing with the tubes welded. 33 Spline Moser Axles with Richmond 4.33 pro gears.

980 HP, 800 Ft lbs of torque. 1.21 60' time off the transbrake. I cracked the teeth on the ring gear after several years but it never broke. I could hear it growling as I coasted into the staging lanes. Still managed to go 1.28 in 60' that day and when I get home found more than 2/3 of the ring gear teeth cracked at the base. Its not the rearend type that is the issue here. Its dead hooking a low numerical gear with tall tires. Its also a radial tire that when it slips chatters like crazy and hammers the gears. A bias ply slick hit as hard as possible with some tire spin will work much better here.
mr 4 speed, 427L88 and oliver69 like this.

post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 2:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Mine was the stock housing with the tubes welded. 33 Spline Moser Axles with Richmond 4.33 pro gears.

980 HP, 800 Ft lbs of torque. 1.21 60' time off the transbrake. I cracked the teeth on the ring gear after several years but it never broke. I could hear it growling as I coasted into the staging lanes. Still managed to go 1.28 in 60' that day and when I get home found more than 2/3 of the ring gear teeth cracked at the base. Its not the rearend type that is the issue here. Its dead hooking a low numerical gear with tall tires. Its also a radial tire that when it slips chatters like crazy and hammers the gears. A bias ply slick hit as hard as possible with some tire spin will work much better here.
How much does your car weigh?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 3:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have been drag racing my car for 19 years and about 17 of them have been with original GM 3.31 gears.
3,945 lbs. w/driver and 1.67-1.72 60 ft. on average. High 11 second street car, honest 500 HP and 550 ft/lbs. torque at the crank all corked up with stock intake/exhaust manifolds.
I guess having a TH400 is a plus to cushion "the hit" on launch but I bet the way your clutch grabs didn't help.
-SS454- likes this.

post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
How much does your car weigh?
Was 3200 lbs with me in it when I sold it. The car had a 12 bolt in it for the 22 years I raced it. Starting at 3675 w/driver going 11.20ís.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 5:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post

I'm using the 12 bolt housing with welded tubes and large Ford bearings and the stock drum brakes. 35 spline axles and a spool with an LPW cover. I'm using US Gear Lightning series 4.11 ring and pinion. Not making 980hp or 800lbft
but the car with me is 3800lbs @ 900hp and 760lbft.
So far so good but I certainly hear you on the radical chatter the PBR can create. Busted my GoPro mount right in half.
I actually 60' a touch better with 3.73 gears than I have with the ET drags but not by much. 1.301 to a 1.306

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 5:25 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I have been drag racing my car for 19 years and about 17 of them have been with original GM 3.31 gears.
3,945 lbs. w/driver and 1.67-1.72 60 ft. on average. High 11 second street car, honest 500 HP and 550 ft/lbs. torque at the crank all corked up with stock intake/exhaust manifolds.
I guess having a TH400 is a plus to cushion "the hit" on launch but I bet the way your clutch grabs didn't help.
Heck mine weighs 4000 with me in it and ran 11.3 with my 8.5.
Moser axles, richmond ring/pinion, and stud girdle
post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 5:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Wouldn't gear tooth count make a difference to overall strength? A ford 3.89 gear only has a 35/9 tooth count, while a 12 bolt 3.91 has a 43/11 tooth count. Wouldn't that mean more contact on the teeth?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 6:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Things are going bad to worse. I pulled the driveshaft off today and noticed the slip yoke wouldn't push very far into the transmission. Turns out my super awesome upgraded Sonnax slip yoke twisted the splines. Which probably means I damaged the transmission.

I just don't get how I can overbuild everything on this car and this much damage can occur.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 7:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Sorry to hear this Chris

I just picked up my 67 from the Trans Guy and the Bill was not cheap
but he is the best and his last Rebuild on this Trans lasted 10 years

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 8:39 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Things are going bad to worse. I pulled the driveshaft off today and noticed the slip yoke wouldn't push very far into the transmission. Turns out my super awesome upgraded Sonnax slip yoke twisted the splines. Which probably means I damaged the transmission.

I just don't get how I can overbuild everything on this car and this much damage can occur.
Oh dang I am sorry to hear that! Will American power train warranty it??
That's wild to hear that you twisted the splines and damaged that transmission. It's the beefiest one on the market!
post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 8:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:

Geez, I'm sorry. I was worried the T56 might be damaged.

But it might not be much. Maybe just the output shaft ?

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:

I twisted my 1350, I think it was Spicer or Dana, slip yoke when my rear blew. The transmission was just fine.

I know what you're saying. I overbuilt my car and it seems like it is always broken. It's broken now! Well kind of broken...I have all my parts, but haven't got it back together yet.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 12:55 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:

that sucks... I seen this same thing on a TKO once. Except it did not take the splines out on the shaft, it was the yoke itself. As a result we went back to a cast slip yoke to act as the break point.

something not talked about is fluid, don't think it would be the route cause but all of a little will add up. 75w-90 synthetic seems like a good idea but most stick shift guys in my world should be running a 75-140 or 85-140 conventional.
427L88 likes this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in