Hard to lose weight! - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Hard to lose weight!

I hate weight. It slows the car down in all aspects. But after all the years of upgrading with lightweight parts, it just isn't enough because of the handful of upgrades that are tank heavy.

Sure it'd be easy if I wanted to just gut the interior and put an aluminum LS in it, but I want the BBC and the car to look like a resto mod muscle car.

"lightweight" bigger front brakes, aluminum spindles, etc etc. Only -25.4 lbs.
Tubular control arms. Whopping -6 lbs
Lightweight billet flywheel and small twin disc clutch. -8.1 lbs
Remove the stereo, speakers, and wires. Only -15 lbs
Aftermarket bucket seats. -39.8 lbs. Now we're talking!
Then a whole ton of places where I lose a few pounds here and there.

Then how quickly the weight gets put back on.
Need to handle better, so bigger sway bars. +22.8 lbs
6 gears is better than 4, so T56 Magnum. +35 lbs
I like my feet, so SFI bellhousing. +23.4 lbs
Going EFI, spend the $ and get a stainless fuel tank. +30 lbs or so.

Then in the future to put a 6 or 7 point roll bar in, that's going to be +70-100 lbs
Frame boxing, probably another +20 lbs.

There are some big places I know I can drop some big weight though. Just a lot of money to do it.

The good news is I've improved my weight distribution by over 2%.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: Hard to lose weight!

Hundreds of pages and hundreds of ideas. Not talking stripping your car out either. Take a look.

moparts.org/ubbthreads/weight-loss-tips

Aluminum weighs half of what steel does. Magnesium weighs 3/10 of what steel does. Plastic... it weighs a lot less, even lighter than magnesium.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

https://brodix.com/blocks-list
https://brodix.com/heads-2
https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...m-bellhousing/
https://www.jegs.com/p/Braille-Batte...63922/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/c/Radiators_Rad...10597/10002/-1
Replace your seats.
Hollow sway bars are just as firm as solids.
Your boxing panels for the frame can have lightening holes and still function as well as solid plates.
Carbon fiber or glass hood.

It's only money.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I love threads like that. All the brackets I make are aluminum, typically cut up with holes to save weight.

200 places to save 20 lbs, and 1 safety upgrade gains it all back haha. Sometimes that's the reality.

I see how a lot of these resto mods with 6 speeds or 4L60's are rollin around well over 4000 lbs.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Replace your seats.
Your boxing panels for the frame can have lightening holes and still function as well as solid plates.

It's only money.
I plan to swiss cheese my frame boxing plates. I also plan on removing all the rear spring perches. Just need to do a frame off to do all that.

Seats gotta stay, unless I really get serious and throw in some Recaros or something that might save me about 10 lbs.

I have hollow sway bars, but big bars are still heavier than small bars or no bars.

I really like that bellhousing!

When (if that ever happens) I build a new engine, aluminum heads are a no brainer, but seriously considering dumbing the $$$$$ on an aluminum block.

Carbon fiber hood and trunk are on the way already. Doors are on the wish list. A bunch of other panels would need to be self built.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 1:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

12 lbs empty

-SS454-, mino65 and Nothingbut69 like this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:12 AM
Team Member
Nick

I switched my stock bucket seats to the Kirkey aluminum racing seats with the padded covers on them. Didn't really want to do it either but, if I remember correctly, it was like 65 lbs + difference!
mino65 likes this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I hate weight. It slows the car down in all aspects. But after all the years of upgrading with lightweight parts, it just isn't enough because of the handful of upgrades that are tank heavy.

Sure it'd be easy if I wanted to just gut the interior and put an aluminum LS in it, but I want the BBC and the car to look like a resto mod muscle car.

6 gears is better than 4, so T56 Magnum. +35 lbs Muncie=70lbs, ST10=75lbs (95lbs for an iron case), T56 Magnum=135lbs

The good news is I've improved my weight distribution by over 2%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Replace your seats.

It's only money.
Yes, it is! I paid $4995 for my Dart 4.6" bore aluminum block fully machined but add to that a Callies Magnum 4.25" crank, Callies Ultra rods, Wiseco pistons, AFR 315 CNC heads, Holley Dominator CNP EFI (like LS platform) and it all adds up FAST. I think the aluminum block and heads save nearly 200 lbs over their cast iron counterparts and that is off the front of the vehicle. Good luck Chris!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:34 AM
Tech Team
Jim

How about using an aluminum radiator and a smaller battery?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1rotate View Post

How about using an aluminum radiator and a smaller battery?
13 pound gel cell works for me. Hid it inside a hollow display battery case.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 3:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Yeah, Iv'e added some weight with the 80E but have a very short exhaust system now but added twins up front so that's a wash plus I put on weight!
So, the plan is I added 35ci (441ci now)over my last combo + I'll just have to add 2 or 3#'s of boost to make up for all of it.
I could/should lose 40lbs too!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I thought Muncie's were closer to 100 lbs with shifter. If they are only 70 or so lbs, makes ya wonder why the T56 Magnum is so dang heavy!

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Years ago I weighed a bare Muncie, with no shifter. It was 67 pounds.

Jon N.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

So I was man 'splaining to The Wife why I wanted to buy a hollow front anti-sway bar, aluminum water pump, mini starter, etc. as "less weight, go quicker."

The Wife responded "I understand, how much weight has 'that car' lost so far?"

To which I responded: "Well you know every pound counts up."

The Wife then pokes her index finger in my 24 pack and said "I know where you can cut 50 pounds."

Flash back to graduation from Basic Combat Training in 1971: Lean, green, fightin' machine: 6' 2", 185 pounds, 6 Pack... Sigh.
71350SS, WHT/73, aukai and 2 others like this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 2:38 AM
Tech Team

How much does your car currently weigh? I'm hoping to lose weight going from the th400 to the t56.... Right now with its heavy wheels it weighs 3680
Centerline wheels 3620
Hoping to go sub 3600 with the swap but I feel it'll likely be the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in