Connecting rod bolts - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 6:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

Connecting rod bolts

I have a brand new set of H beam rods with arp 8740 rod bolts can I swap them out for arp 2000 bolts and not have any issues?

Chunkman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:16 PM
Gold Founding Member

Re: Connecting rod bolts

Is the rod cap located by the bolts, or by a pair of dowels?

Are you SURE they're ARP bolts and not counterfeits?

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

no
Chunkman likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

yes they are arp and dowels.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:24 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Charles,
Who's rods are they ?? I have changed them on Eagle rods before and not seen any difference in the big end size or roundness. The main thing is to get the correct bolts. If they are Eagle rods get their bolts and use the torque or stretch that they recommend. Etc If they are no-name rods you need to see if you can match the bolts up and then you have the problem of figuring out a torque or stretch spec. If they are someone else's rods call, call the manufacturer and ask them ?

No matter which way you go make sure you have your machine shop check the big ends for size with the new bolts. Thats actually not a bad idea with any rod.

If you just bought the rods recently and they are a name brand see if you can return them and get them from the factory with the 2000 bolts.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

The reason im asking is i want to use nitrous on my new motor and im thinking the 8740 rod bolts might not hold up
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Charles,
Who's rods are they ?? I have changed them on Eagle rods before and not seen any difference in the big end size or roundness. The main thing is to get the correct bolts. If they are Eagle rods get their bolts and use the torque or stretch that they recommend. Etc If they are no-name rods you need to see if you can match the bolts up and then you have the problem of figuring out a torque or stretch spec. If they are someone else's rods call, call the manufacturer and ask them ?

No matter which way you go make sure you have your machine shop check the big ends for size with the new bolts. Thats actually not a bad idea with any rod.

If you just bought the rods recently and they are a name brand see if you can return them and get them from the factory with the 2000 bolts.

They are eagle rods.They came with the forged eagle rotating assembly i bought from summit on black friday last year so i don't know if i would be able to return just the rods.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:50 PM
Tech Team

I don't think nitrous increases stress on rod bolts unless using it causes you to rev the engine higher. The increase in cylinder pressure from nitrous tends to increase compressive loads on the rods, which is exactly what DOESN'T stress rod bolts. Increased rpm on the other hand will stress the bolts more because of the increased tensile (stretching or pulling) forces trying to yank the rod off the crankshaft at tdc.
pannetron and Chunkman like this.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 8:56 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Charles,

Call Eagle and ask them. They are very good at answering questions like this. Tell them what horsepower and rpm levels you are expecting and they will tell you what will work.

You never know with Summit. They seem to be very liberal with their return policies. Cant hurt to ask. Only issue is if it was a balanced assembly the rods you get with the 2000 bolts might be a slightly different weight.

What engine is it and what are you expecting from it ? The Eagle catalog lists HP levels for most of their rods with the different bolts.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Charles,

Call Eagle and ask them. They are very good at answering questions like this. Tell them what horsepower and rpm levels you are expecting and they will tell you what will work.

You never know with Summit. They seem to be very liberal with their return policies. Cant hurt to ask. Only issue is if it was a balanced assembly the rods you get with the 2000 bolts might be a slightly different weight.

What engine is it and what are you expecting from it ? The Eagle catalog lists HP levels for most of their rods with the different bolts.

The rotating assembly is a balanced kit.. I might have to do that and call eagle its a 383 stroker probably going to be around 500 hp na and i plan on spraying it with 150-200 the kit says its rated to 750hp with the 8740 rod bolts but with the upgraded arp 2000 its good to 1200hp so i feel i may be at the limit with the 8740 rod bolts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

You are talking about capscrews, not thru-bolts, right?
I've had the same experience as BillK, as long as they're the ones specified for the rods, they should be the exact same dimensions. I'd torque/stretch 'em and have them checked by a machinist to be certain.

RPM is the enemy of rod bolts, not extra cylinder pressure like boost or spray since these affect compression rather than tension.
David Bates and pannetron like this.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
You are talking about capscrews, not thru-bolts, right?
I've had the same experience as BillK, as long as they're the ones specified for the rods, they should be the exact same dimensions. I'd torque/stretch 'em and have them checked by a machinist to be certain.

RPM is the enemy of rod bolts, not extra cylinder pressure like boost or spray since these affect compression rather than tension.

yeah i guess they are cap screws they aren't the nut and bolt type like a stock rod.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Horsepower has virtually nothing to do with the rod fastener requirements.
Unless you plan on higher RPM than the standard fasteners are designed for with the piston & pin weight you now have,,,,
Changing the bolts will do nothing but lighten your pocket book

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

If you loosen and re-torque the caps with the 8740 bolts, the rods will be out of round and need re-machining anyway. Might as well just replace them with the 2000's and re size the big ends.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/member.php?u=46633
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
If you loosen and re-torque the caps with the 8740 bolts, the rods will be out of round and need re-machining anyway. Might as well just replace them with the 2000's and re size the big ends.

That's the first time I've heard this. Can you 'splain, please? I'm not challenging what you said, just want more info.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in