White headers anyone - Jet Hot top coat? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 8:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

White headers anyone - Jet Hot top coat?

My 20 yr old Hookers could use a re-coat of ceramic. Has anyone used any WHITE header coating that shows well after use? I see JetHot has a "white topcoat".

As long as I keep my grimy fingerprints off it, I'd like that old skool look. Thanks for sharing any experiences.
mr 4 speed and Dan Orgill like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: White headers anyone - Jet Hot top coat?

Gene, I've got 2 sets that have seen some good use and neither have held up very well. The first was ceramic coated white over black colored c/coat. Those have only seen seen only 100 miles or so and have spots that have "bled" and show the black underneath. The other set were vht coated using an oven used for powder coating and following vht's instructions to the letter. Those have 1000 or so miles and show brown streaking and the chip rather easily. I've removed them at least twice for various reasons.
I still like the look because my stuff gets used and I really don't need an engine bay that looks fresh, just well kept.
I also have a third set that have been ceramic coated white over aluminum with 0 miles yet, so I'm still loving the look.
To me, nothing else but possibly black would work for that Day 2 look. I thought about orange but that's proven to be very unpredictable and frail.
427L88 likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Here is what I did and worked excellent. My ceramic coated headers were looking dirty and marked up so I spayed them with VHT ceramic coating header rattle can Then took them to a local powder coater and had him put them in his oven time and temp is on the VHT can Wow came out great and are very very resistant to oil, bumps etc
427L88 likes this.

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

I did see a manifold-paint at Carlisle PA, and plum forgot to ask the salesman if it would "stick" to ceramic coatings.

Bill, I may have to try your route. Plus touchups can be easy with a can.

Jerry, none of your were done by JetHot? The third set is what I'd have.. the 4th application of Jethot and a white topcoat. I bought these Hookers from them direct in 2001!

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I called Jethot and asked about their options. Turned out to be not cost effective compared to a local guy that I've used for quite a few other items....more than twice the cost after shipping.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

The damn box will cost me $20!~ so I hear ya Jerry. And I havent yet called them for a quote.

It either a rattle can like Bill, or investigate a local shop. All this because white/orange look BOSS against a black background.
mr 4 speed and 71350SS like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I saw a Youtube video from VHT on rattle can application, and heat cycles to cure the paint.
427L88 likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Swain does it...Id spend whatever it took. that looks too cool!
The silver is always nice, black is blah....do the white. Get some anodized moroso valve covers and a tunnel ram with anodized velocity stacks!!

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
All this because white/orange look BOSS against a black background.
Yes it does!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I was planning to build a 540 about 15 years ago and bought a set of Hooker 2 1/8 as I recall....at the time I was advised that would be the correct size for the projected build ....and had them Jet Hot coated in silver. They were for a 70 Chevelle w/ factory spec heads....nothing special.

I have never even opened the box I got them in. They are still sitting in the corner of an unused bedroom.

I forget what I paid but they were not inexpensive....but I donít think Iíll ever use them.

I suppose I could hang them in the garage as art ?....LOL....

Are they worth anything to anyone?

Are they too large for builds today ?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Not too large for a 540! I recall my 2" Hookers direct from JetHot were around $450 in 2001. The coating is near that much now.

cuisinart.. Swain is in the next town over from me. Their coating is an engineered product, and its not engineered for looks. Excellent stuff they do if you want friction coatings on skirts, thermal coatings on piston tops nad chambers,. etc. Super good company. But their white lightening looks like "bedliner" as it is a sprayed plasma. they'll tell you its not meant to be pretty, but to work.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 3:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Look up Swaintech coatings. They do white coatings that are bad ass and last...very thick stuff.

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
T400, Tight 10" converter
3.36 gears, 3700lb raceweight
[email protected], 1.51 60'
STOCK APPEARING
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
But their white lightening looks like "bedliner" as it is a sprayed plasma. they'll tell you its not meant to be pretty, but to work.
Sounds like the old "alumacoat" Blackjack headers from the 1980s. Anyone remember those?
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 4:07 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

FYI....2 1/8" primaries are perfect for a 540.
I used Hooker Super Comps..."adjusted" for plug clearance and coated locally.
One tube each side goes outside the frame rail.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Alan, their coatings are awesome,but the white isnt meant for looks. It mars really easily. Doesnt chip off, but surface changes easily with all that granularity. Asthetically, as said, it looks like lumpy bedliner. It is pure race car stuff. Its not a "paint" like JetHot, its a plasma spray.

Hey fellas, I've gone from polished heads, intake, to just polished intake and iron heads, and now the heads and intake will be orange, so I;m looking to make the engine bay as "interesting" as all the polished aluminum was, with lots of orange and a Qjet! White pipes will do it imho and still feel somewhat "correct".

Those Hookers hang so low, that I hope I dont mind the white peeking out from under the car. I never minded the Jethot silver.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in