Are thick radiators overrated? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Are thick radiators overrated?

I've used these Derale fans on 2 cars in the last 10 years. Very good quality, move lots of air and don't rob as much HP as a fixed blade fan.

https://derale.com/product-footer/be...53-27333213833

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:30 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Ahh, OK, different thing. Specific Heat is not Thermal Conductivity. To sum that up (I could be wrong...) Aluminum for its weight can soak up more heat but copper can transmit it much better, (and actually soak up more since it is much heavier).
Look up Thermal Conductivity vs Specific Heat.
Will do. I thought specific heat was that. It's been a long time since I went through chemistry and physics!
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:34 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
The best fan is 7 blade 17.5" diameter stock fan on the 454 Chevelle:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dynac...SABEgIpKPD_BwE

Use a thermal fan clutch with it to save hp.
I agree with this, I use a stock clutch fan on my car. Haven't really ever had issues and for whatever reason when I see a new thread about electric fans or radiators it makes we want a new one....

As for the radiator I might just buy a new one since my current one is a carquest 4 core brass I am not to fond of....

For the fan.. I will keep it simple! It works and pulls enough air in my experience.

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:35 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
I've used these Derale fans on 2 cars in the last 10 years. Very good quality, move lots of air and don't rob as much HP as a fixed blade fan.

https://derale.com/product-footer/be...53-27333213833
YUCK. I had a flex fan on my car. I took it right off and went to a clutch fan and couldn't be happier.
Those things are horrible and wear out over time as the fins become straightened and become less efficient.

They also like to fly apart.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not these!

Jeff Evans
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:48 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Not these!
Any flexlfan will. They also rob A LOT of power compared to a clutch fan.
fishhead likes this.
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

BS, do your research

Jeff Evans
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

With a long water pump there is no room for a clutch fan so I use Flex-a-lite 1818 fan. It will move a lot of air through a radiator and has 7 blades.
OLDED likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:59 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
BS, do your research
LOL Are you for real?

Heck engine masters did an episode on this and proved it.

Clutch
It does diverge. So the more rpm, the less it likes it. Boy, wait 'til we put that fixed fan on there. That's going to be a lot worse. So clutch fan, minus 7 pound feet, minus 14 horsepower.

This is with a PLASTIC flex fan... let alone the metal one that will eat more power....
(Air drill whirs) did you take the belt? Okay, plastic flex fan, ready to rip. Okay, plastic flex fan. I'm almost wondering if it's going to be better than the clutch. Never know.

(Exciting music) (engine revs) whoa, that's hideous! That thing's junk! (Laughs) it's so horrible! We just made 388.3 pound feet at 3800 and the horsepower 325.1 at 5100. That is pathetic. We just lost 18.6 pound feet of torque. Looking at the horsepower number, we just lost 23.9 horsepower, from no fan to plastic flex fan. You know, when you said 30, I thought you were maybe crazy-- - no! But I think-- - i've seen this.

Then a fix aluminum fan:

Next up, we've got our fixed aluminum fan. I thought I was ordering a flex fan, but it's actually not. And I think there's a good chance this makes more power than the plastic one, 'cause it doesn't have as much pitch in the blade.

I think you're right. We'll find out. I'll go with that. (Exciting music) (engine revs) it's better than the plastic one, but it's still killing power. - yeah. It's not much better, is it? Yeah, it goes five or six horsepower better.

Look at the overlay. So we just found out that that aluminum fan versus no fan at all kills 12 pound feet and 20.3 horsepower, so not as bad as the plastic one, as you can see here on this curve.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I am for real and I have watched episode. The fan they tested is nothing like the Derale fan. Its all about choices, we all have many in front of us. Electric vs Clutch vs Flex.

When I started the BBC swap on my 65 20 years ago the Derale fan was very popular then due to its ability to move a lot of air yet do it with the least HP drag. In fact there was a regular poster on Team Chevelle who was a well respected cooling system engineer and he did lots of testing of fans, air flow and HP draw.... his conclusion was the Derale was the best flex fan he had tested. This was many years ago, I tried searching for his info but couldn't locate it directly for this reply.... but I will. This thread has a lot of content about air flow and cooling theory, I was trying to provide another viable alternative to the clutch fan. I didn't say the this fan was better than another just provide an alternative that worked very well for my set up.

I haven't bashed any of your posts since you joined this forum.... I'd appreciate the same respect from you.
OLDED likes this.

Jeff Evans
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 1:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

tacomatrd, should you like to enlighten yourself please search for posts by HOTRODSRJ. Steve Jacks is his name, very smart man. He hasn't posted for many years on Team Chevelle.

Jeff Evans
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 3:12 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I am for real and I have watched episode. The fan they tested is nothing like the Derale fan. Its all about choices, we all have many in front of us. Electric vs Clutch vs Flex.

When I started the BBC swap on my 65 20 years ago the Derale fan was very popular then due to its ability to move a lot of air yet do it with the least HP drag. In fact there was a regular poster on Team Chevelle who was a well respected cooling system engineer and he did lots of testing of fans, air flow and HP draw.... his conclusion was the Derale was the best flex fan he had tested. This was many years ago, I tried searching for his info but couldn't locate it directly for this reply.... but I will. This thread has a lot of content about air flow and cooling theory, I was trying to provide another viable alternative to the clutch fan. I didn't say the this fan was better than another just provide an alternative that worked very well for my set up.

I haven't bashed any of your posts since you joined this forum.... I'd appreciate the same respect from you.
Yeah still a flex fan, still robs power, and still a safety hazard in an engine bay.
I had the same flex fan on my car. The rivits were coming loose and they are the reason I got rid of it.

I am not bashing your post, I am stating that flex fans are not a good choice at all. You can bash my posts all you want, still won't change my mind that flex fans don't belong in a car.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 3:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

So how do you think the blades of a clutch type fan are attached? Vast majority are riveted.....
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Jeff Evans
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 3:20 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
tacomatrd, should you like to enlighten yourself please search for posts by HOTRODSRJ. Steve Jacks is his name, very smart man. He hasn't posted for many years on Team Chevelle.
I am reading through his posts, it appears his ideas were that, why not upgrade to electric and get away from mechanical?
I would tend to agree with him on that. At some point I might upgrade to electric and a new aluminum radiator. I just dont have any cooling problems(even though my car is far from stock) and I don't want to create some by "upgrading"

The only mention he really has of the derle fan is that it will flow more air... Which means it will take more power to run. I wouldn't doubt it would flow more air... It is essentially a fixed fan where my clutch fan will only flow what is needed.

He does say that the Mark VIII fan is the best upgrade. I would agree with him 100 percent on that and that is likely what I will run in the future(or the 93-2002 fans from a camaro)
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 3:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	593426  

Jeff Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in