Polly vs rubber - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 9:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Polly vs rubber

Want to change older body bushings on my 69'. What are your experiences with the different types and brands?
Any problem areas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: Polly vs rubber

I went with poly both front and rear but changed the bushings in the ears in the rearend to rubber after only a couple of short test drives. Felt like rear was binding. New poly vs 45 year old rubber bushings was big improvement but cant say how new rubbers would felt vs poly? Used energy suspension bushings.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

rubber body
polygraphite suspension
"" motor mounts
rubber trans mount...feels about perfect.

Everything feels much tighter but has some isolation from the frame as far as vibrations go
Has a fairly rowdy motor and feel 0 harmonics, anything inside. that stuff annoys me

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 11:07 AM
Tech Team

I went with Energy Suspension (poly) bushings on my Nova. Just drove car for the first time and seemed tight with no noises. Some say they squeak and the ride is rougher. The rubber ones I bought seemed cheap made. You will hear good and bad on all of them. pick one that suits you and don't look back. I'm also running solid motor mounts with a rubber trans. mount, picking up nothing there either., nice tight and solid, no vibrations that I can feel. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	593024  

1970 LS6, unrestored, 4 speed,special ordered orange

1972 Nova, 557ci, Legend 5 speed, FiTech EFI 8, lemons Headers, 723hp/690tq
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 11:35 AM
Tech Team
Ben

I just did the inline tube rubber kit. Really happy with it, no squeaks. Car is nice and tight but I did a lot of things all at once this winter so canít attribute it all to the body bushings.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

For a cruiser or a driver, Installed all new " Stock " rubber suspension bushings. All new MOOG in the front. The rear, All new stock type rubber. L.C.A. and U.C. A.
Depending on what you are after, I just wanted a nice driver, All is just fine and would do it again.
Building a RACE CAR............ Go to Plan " B ".
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 1:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Body to frame, engine, and trans I used poly mounts.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 2:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I used a rubber body bushing kit IIRC from NPD, energy susp. engine, trans, frnt. & rear upper & lower control arms, rides like a new car has new springs & shocks too though

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 3:50 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpaticular View Post
Want to change older body bushings on my 69'. What are your experiences with the different types and brands?
Any problem areas?
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/body_bushings.html
71350SS likes this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I did poly. Between that and the calverts it’s pretty stiff. At the track the car is perfectly level with both front wheels off the ground the same height.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 6:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Thanks for all the replies. I read the link Schurkey posted. That was a horror story.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 8:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I use rubber body mounts. IMO you need a little more absorbing between the frame and body.
Dan Orgill likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 10:09 AM

Here's a good video to watch for a comparison . I wound up purchasing polly haven put them in just yet but the video helped me make the decision

https://youtu.be/2Ea8U12nX_k
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I watched those videos. Good info.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 9:04 PM
Tech Team

When I pulled my body off the frame I was afraid of stripping the cage nuts. So. I drilled small holes is the floor above the blots and shot some penetrating oil on them using the straw. If a cage nuts comes loose you will need to cut the floor open to hold the nut so the bolt can be removed. I bought the same kit as seen in the video posted, but have nit completed the car yet so cant speak to the ride. I did think the kit and hardware were real nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in