Tips to be faster at the track - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 1:15 AM Thread Starter

Tips to be faster at the track

I posted a year or so about my 66 chevelle questioning what it would run at the track
Well I finally had a chance to take it and now I’m looking for tips to improve my times knowing there’s more in it
My car is a 66 chevelle weighing 3700 pounds with me in it. It has a 496 with rhs320 heads and a hydraulic roller cam victor jr single plane and a Holley 1000hp th400 with a 3500 stall to a 12 bolt with 3.55 gears and posi
And the tires are 275 60 15 Mickey Thompson et Street r drag radials 28 inches tall

The best 60 foot I managed was a 1.7 while running 11.3 at 120 in the quarter I feel as this car should be capable to break into the tens any tips or tricks or advice would be great to hear from you guys with experience thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 1:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Tips to be faster at the track

Pay attention to how stage. Mistakes there in terms of lost ET will be multiplied as you go down track. Line up in the groove, stop after turning on the top light, then as soon as you trigger the second light. Make sure you do a burnout properly, once the tires are spinning and you let off the brake keep them spinning until you reach dry pavement. These seem obvious, but I ran the street classes at the local brackets for years, and the mistakes I just listed are incredibly common. If you approached someone to make suggestions, almost everyone says they didnít make those mistakes. My home track streams their races live on YouTube, with a clear view of the burnout box and the entire length of the track. The better races will often watch and critique their runs afterwards. If you are videoing your runs, have someone stand behind and to the side of the car, show tires tires and where the car is positioned in the lane. Views from a right angle or from the grandstand are worthless when it comes to dissecting a run.

Another thing that helps is by writing notes in your timeslips concerning weather, tire spin or bog etc., then calculating the length of time between each incremental on the time slip. This will help you analyze the runs and help give you a clear understanding if there any variations. Pay more attention to your time slip than 60ft, ET and MPH.

Good luck.

Steve R
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Apr 19th, 19 at 1:50 AM. Reason: B
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:59 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

Start with confirming you actually have full throttle. Sit in the car, floor the pedal and have someone else make sure the carb cannot go open more. This is a very common issue.
Then, be sure you have light enough advance springs that you have all your timing in by no less than 2500 rpm. If you don’t have vacuum advance, have it all in by 2000. Or just run the timing locked out. You should be running 36 degrees advance at a minimum.

Tire pressure with those tires should be in the range of 15. Start there.

What do you have for front and rear shocks? Double adjustable in the rear are best, and some single adjustable like the QA1 drag version in the front. Drag radials can be made to hook well but almost always need to be able to tune the shocks.

Do the same burnout procedure every time. The drag radials don’t need a huge smokey burnout. Usually spin them until you feel them start to grip, and you start to see smoke coming off them. Adjust one mirror so that you can see the tire. Then keep them spinning as you come out of the box, letting off quickly and hear the tire give a short squeal. Then neutral, rev the engine a couple times to clean it out, back in gear and idle up to the line.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 7:32 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Lol, Tim McAmis just posted this vid yesterday.

https://youtu.be/IOlYRN-zejo

*EDIT* Nevermind, this is for consistency not speed, but still a good bit of info to listen in on.

I would at least get a wideband sensor on it, even temporarily to make sure your carb is performing properly. Think you might be over reaching with a 1000 cfm carb on a 496 though. If you calculated the a 496 revving to 6500 rpm w/ .8 VE it's pulling 746 cfm..

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread

Last edited by Hotwire; Apr 19th, 19 at 7:48 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Your issue is in the first 60í of the track. 1.70 in 60í is bad. 120 mph shows you have high 10ís potential but youíll have to knock the 60í down into the low 1.50ís

Ray

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:50 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

A little more gear would help but don't change it because of that you got a good all around gear. You are probably crossing the line in 3rd at like 5,500 rpm or so? Certainly the other advice above helps and you should be able to get 60 foot time down a little. The 120 mph is a little low to get to a consistent 10 s (122-123 would give you more leeway), but as I said you may not be crossing the line in a high enough rpm. A 275-50 tire would get you a little more gear (in theory) but I realize you want a tall sidewall too for the launch but you are not in a really low 60 foot either. I think the other thing is just practice and experiment with different shift points etc. .
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter496 View Post
I posted a year or so about my 66 chevelle questioning what it would run at the track
Well I finally had a chance to take it and now Iím looking for tips to improve my times knowing thereís more in it
My car is a 66 chevelle weighing 3700 pounds with me in it. It has a 496 with rhs320 heads and a hydraulic roller cam victor jr single plane and a Holley 1000hp th400 with a 3500 stall to a 12 bolt with 3.55 gears and posi
And the tires are 275 60 15 Mickey Thompson et Street r drag radials 28 inches tall

The best 60 foot I managed was a 1.7 while running 11.3 at 120 in the quarter I feel as this car should be capable to break into the tens any tips or tricks or advice would be great to hear from you guys with experience thanks
Perhaps some kind of data collection would be helpful. It's a bit of a cash outlay for these old cars since they have none of the sensors that the newer cars do, but I've found that for autocross, collecting data with TrackAddict and analyzing it later - comparing runs side by side - has been extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

Automotive Archaeology
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for he advice
The slings in the front of the car are hotchkiss 2 inch drop I think the spring rate is 550 + on these which is probably to high and then in the back it has 2 inch drop 150 pound rate
The shocks are just kyb non adjustable anything on them I’ve tried my best to get in the grooves of the track and barely rolling into the staging lights
The tire pressure was 16.5 I’ve only had three runs on the car before the kicked me off for not having a cage
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:29 AM
Team Member
George

That 1.7 60í is what is holding you back. Knock that down and you will see 10ís.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:28 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

The lowering springs are not the best for weight transfer.

I have springs in the front of my Nova for handling. But have double adjustable shocks so I can adjust them to extend quickly for weight transfer. No issues at the track. But without them, the low stored energy of the springs is not enough to force the front suspension to extend properly for good weight transfer.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

That is probably the route I will go then is to get some double adjustable shocks in the car thanks!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:49 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

As others have said the first 60' is critical to a good et. To give you perspective when I had the 427 in my car I would run 11.0`s @ 123-124 with 1.55 60`s it wasn't until I got the suspension to work and got the car to run mid 1.40`s in the 60 that I could consistently get in the 10`s ultimately running 10.70`s @ 125 consistently . I went through the whole you can leave now thing too(no roll cage/bar), and even though I really didn't want to put one in my 66, I did and was surprise how much more compliant the car was with the added stiffness. It boils down to how much you like going to the track ultimately .
A good working car requires good body separation and for me I had to put good shocks and springs in to accomplish that.

Good Luck and have fun

Brian

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib53PMc3HVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnUpBdEsQU
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Hunter
DA Shocks are a good idea but after going that expensive way I decided to go Old School Cheap

I put some Moroso Trick Front Springs and Comp Eng 3 Way Adj Shocks set at 80/20

on the Rear I put some Comp Eng 3 Way Adj Shocks set at 50/50 with Stock replacement Springs from Moog and Air Lift 1000 Air Bags inside them,
add Air in them depending on Track conditions

Got the Front Wheel off of the ground on Launch, Launch at/off Idle & only have a 2,500 Stall Converter,
so a good transfer of Weight towards the Rear has happened as there is no more spinning of Tires on Launch

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/Dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720
1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
NEW Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:59 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

a set of slicks that will bring your short times down and get u in the 10s
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 5:49 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter496 View Post
Well I finally had a chance to take it and now Iím looking for tips to improve my times knowing thereís more in it

Here are my tips, get rid of the single plane intake and put an sq. port Air Gap on it, add a 1" spacer. While you may lose some mph it should pick up the E.T. as with those heads it looks like the 4.10 or better would help but the 4.10's suck on the street. The 1000hp is a good carb but see if you can borrow an 850 from someone to see if it might help, just a suggestion. Now here is the real question what converter do you have? that is IMO will make the most difference in performance. Years ago I went from a TCI 10" race converter to one of their 8" converters, the car picked up 3 tenths and 2.5 mph with no other changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in