Thanks everyone for the tips and advice it I will definitely give it another go
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 7:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Re: Tips to be faster at the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40 View Post
a set of slicks that will bring your short times down and get u in the 10s
He has a set of ET Street R's, they are better than slicks.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ton/?start=all

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

https://youtu.be/SIF0dosu-7s

8.02 at 171mph:

https://youtu.be/hH3PS_TrHOc

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 7:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Don't waste money on shocks.

You have less than ideal springs and spindles on the front of the car. The 2" drop spindle costs you 2" of front end travel, and the stiff spring rate doesn't help. Use a regular spindle with a much softer spring rate to achieve your desired ride height. With the correct suspension setup a set of stock replacement shocks will get the car into the 1.4x sixty foot range. And conversely with the wrong suspension setup, you could buy the best double adjustable drag shocks made and still not get the 60 foot where it needs to be.

And 16.5psi is where you want to be with that tire, have a small amount of smoke when you do your burnouts, don't got overboard, it's not needed.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ton/?start=all

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

https://youtu.be/SIF0dosu-7s

8.02 at 171mph:

https://youtu.be/hH3PS_TrHOc
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:35 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter496 View Post
Itís a 10 inch 3500 stall
You are a torque converter away form your 10 sec. time slip. Right now I have the Jeg's XHD converter with my Peanut Port engine and it will flash stall to 4700 if need it. My car is about 200 lbs less but it has has the best 60ft. 1.55 with the Jegs' converter. I am not sure you can get it from them but it was made by TSI Specialty. I was surprised as it was supposed to be a 3800 to 4100 stall. The price was good too.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:22 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I have said it in other posts but my car with 3" exhaust that dump at the rear axle picks up right at .35 seconds when I go open header. This has been done at three tracks where I basically make a pass with exhaust, drop it then make another pass as soon as possible after.

Bob
1972 Nova
496 AFR315
Straub Custom HR 258/260 108 lsa
MT 255x60x15 drag radials, 1050 CFM 4150 QF/Demon
1/4 10.067 **NEW** 10/24/2018
1/4 133.62 MPH **NEW** 10/24/2018
60' 1.446 **NEW** 10/24/2018
Best 1/8 - 6.404 **NEW** 10/24/2018
Best 1/8 mph 107.75 **NEW** 10/24/2018
Dragweek 2015,2017,2018 SME
2016,2017 RMRW 11.0 index
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:53 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova72 View Post
I have said it in other posts but my car with 3" exhaust that dump at the rear axle picks up right at .35 seconds when I go open header. This has been done at three tracks where I basically make a pass with exhaust, drop it then make another pass as soon as possible after.
Keep us posted on what it runs with open exhaust. Hope you get your 10 sec. time.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter496 View Post
I posted a year or so about my 66 chevelle questioning what it would run at the track
Well I finally had a chance to take it and now Iím looking for tips to improve my times knowing thereís more in it
My car is a 66 chevelle weighing 3700 pounds with me in it. It has a 496 with rhs320 heads and a hydraulic roller cam victor jr single plane and a Holley 1000hp th400 with a 3500 stall to a 12 bolt with 3.55 gears and posi
And the tires are 275 60 15 Mickey Thompson et Street r drag radials 28 inches tall

The best 60 foot I managed was a 1.7 while running 11.3 at 120 in the quarter I feel as this car should be capable to break into the tens any tips or tricks or advice would be great to hear from you guys with experience thanks
need some low end torque to get the 60 ft lower, better air, lighter weight.

Somethings you can do for free, run 1/2 quart lower on oil, no need to run it so full, most the time running oil near the top just whips the oil. run it near the bottom of safe line. I know some folks will say hey don't mess with oil levels it's not safe- well what they don't know to much hurts just as to little. Run near bottom of safe mark and run a thin oil.

Lash the valves near zero lash, some folks really crank the **** out of the lifters, back them off just past zero lash even on hydraulic it helps low end torque.

crank the timing up if your not pinging you haven't gone to far, don't be shy with the timing, way to many folks are to conservative. Lock it out and get a start retard box. But for free tinker on it and get turned up, at the track increase timing til trap speed falls I have had as high as 44 total on bbc's let the trap speed be the judge not these old heads on this board.

rear differential fluid, not totally free, but run a thinner rear gear lube- it's cheap.

If you got the hood room run more carb spacer under carb, taller the better builds more torque even adding another 1" will help.

Free advise- don't be to concerned with those telling you about carb cfm because of some calculation- the calculators don't take in effect of the intake you run, for example a dual plane intake requires more carb to slow down the air speed so the air and fuel can turn, to small of a carb and the air speed is so high it slams into the plenum floor, put a bigger carb on and tada it makes more power because the air speed is slower, the air fuel can make the turn and stay atomized. there is more to it than a calculator that is way outdated.

Your going to make more torque and power with a single plane with spacers than you will with a dual plane in the rpm range your in.

What water pump are you running, need to run electric or get a used stock one and grind every other vane, water pumps use about 30+ hp to operate and really drag the hp down. Other thing you can do if you can slow down the water pump.

Make sure you are running a quality air cleaner- don't be one of those fools who run no air cleaner, this really shows how ignorant you are specially if you don't have a base to direct airflow There is power to be had with proper, there is a nice video on youtube testing all different bases, check it. I knew of this since the 90's doing my own testing, just nice to see a video backing it up. But to this date many ignore this but by golly they will speed 500 bucks to make 10 hp but run an open carb just to throw it out. makes no sense.

Exhaust- running full, running open headers, dumps, it all matters, there is some power in the exhaust, just don't run open headers- add extensions for low end torque boost 18" seem to work well- pipe must be same diameter as collector. put dumps around 18" back if can. run straight thru mufflers, exhaust is about velocity don't screw it up with junk azz flowmasters or a like. There more to share enough for now.

free power in proper jetting of the carb, takes a few trips, but jet according to trap speed.

enough for now, good luck
mr 4 speed and hydro462 like this.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/ddeennis/
pics of projects and whatever.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 4:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lots of good tips on here. I listened to these gentlemen and got my 69SS from bogging, sputtering low 13s/high 12s down to 11.45 with 1.5 60 foot times. Nothing changed except front adj. shocks, electric fuel pump, advance springs, jetting, tire pressure and learning how to drive the car at the track. Straub valvetrain is in the mail so should be a bit quicker this year.
mr 4 speed, oliver69 and pockets like this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 8:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

For checking hood air cleaner clearance. Tinfoil in a loose ball on the air cleaner where you think it might touch. Lower hood slowly and check. Go in steps until you start to see the foil flattening. If you need more clearance you can raise the back of the hood by adjusting the hinges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in