Fuel system setup question. - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 4:36 AM Thread Starter

Fuel system setup question.

I was hoping to get a little input on my setup to make sure I get it right the first time. I have a 72 chevelle, I have been doing a lot of work on it and getting it ready for this summer. I currently have a mild 468 in the car, but for next year I have a pump gas 540 for it. The car will stay pump gas, and will primarily be a street driven with trips to the track on some weekends. For the fuel setup I have a sumped tank, and am installing a Mallory 250 pump, thru a relay located in the trunk not far from the batt. I have an inline 40 micron filter before the pump, and another 40 micron filter up front going to the fuel log. I am running a bypass regulator to a HP950. I know this system is overkill for the 468, I tend to over do everything for the 468 I have, but am building it to handle the next engine going in the car. My question is what size fuel line should I run, I am thinking -8 supply and return from back to front would be sufficient, but want to be sure, I can also do -10 supply and return from the rear to the reg, and then branch down to -8 feeding the carbs, but not sure if that is too much? Not really sure if there is such a thing as too much to be honest, just wanting to get input on the setup, from more experienced guys. Thanks fellas
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Re: Fuel system setup question.

Typically you go 100 micron before the pump and 40 micron or smaller after the pump.

-10 to the regulator won't cost much more and will ensure plenty of room to grow. -8 as a return from the bypass regulator is fine. But -8 to and from the regulator will work just as well.

-8 to the bowls is fine, really -6 is fine. The flow through a single .150 needle and seat is much smaller than the -6 line itself.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.02 at 171mph:

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
Typically you go 100 micron before the pump and 40 micron or smaller after the pump.

-10 to the regulator won't cost much more and will ensure plenty of room to grow. -8 as a return from the bypass regulator is fine. But -8 to and from the regulator will work just as well.

-8 to the bowls is fine, really -6 is fine. The flow through a single .150 needle and seat is much smaller than the -6 line itself.
I agree with all of this. 10 doesn't cost much more than 8, but 8 would work on a street car. I ran #10 to the regulator and 8's to the carb though 6's will work there as well due to the small flow. My car made almost 1000 hp on that setup as well.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 1:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fellas, I will feed -10 supply and return to the regulator. I went with a 40 micron pump inlet filter because the Mallory is a gerotor style pump, I was reading it was recommended to run a finer filter than the 100 for this style pump because it can clog and bind easier than a rotary vane style pump. hope the 40 is not too fine of a filter,
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 2:56 AM Thread Starter

No sir, a 40 micron filter will catch much smaller particles than a 100 micron filter will
40 micron = .00157 inch
100 micron = .00393 inch
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 3:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Yeah I was trying to flip it around, after I posted. sorry

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in