Stroke it or leave it? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:47 AM
Tech Team
Lew
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 840
Garage
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

You might look at a 383 or larger kit that extra torque is nice to have in a heavy vehicle. For a SBC there is plenty to choose from. If you stick with a roller keep it a hydraulic one just easier on parts and no valve adjusting. You might we if you can get some newer heads you will have to spend a lot on the old ones to get them fixed when you could have some iron ones maybe for similar the cost of fixing the old ones. Sometime the problems with the really old heads (1960s) they (valve seats) are not unleaded gas friendly and new seats this will start getting expensive. Take a step back see what you want to do and what power goals you want and what will work for you with your budget. That being said if $500 or whatever more out of your budget you can get you a much better motor (that you are really happy with) you may need to weigh that option too.
bradley67 likes this.
Lew540 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Anyone running a pair of these heads? If so what cam and intake are you running? The price is not bad at all! https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...nkb-272_89979/
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 5:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,022
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
Anyone running a pair of these heads? If so what cam and intake are you running? The price is not bad at all! https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...nkb-272_89979/
Skip White has a so so reputation. One thing for sure, there is a reason these heads are cheap. Corners will be cut somewhere to reach that price point. This sort of item is really designed for the person that want to pull up to car show and open their hood, not to run be hard, at least not as the parts are delivered.

Steve R
Steve R is online now  
 
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 7:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Skip White has a so so reputation. One thing for sure, there is a reason these heads are cheap. Corners will be cut somewhere to reach that price point. This sort of item is really designed for the person that want to pull up to car show and open their hood, not to run be hard, at least not as the parts are delivered.

Steve R
Good to know. I paid that much for the new fully assembled vortec's I'm running now. The problem I see is the vortec's stock only lift to .420. I have read that bigger lift springs can be run with some machine work. I need to call my machinist and ask about pricing to get either the camel backs in spec for running a cam up to .550 or the vortec's or buy a new set of heads ready to run the way I want. Then I will know what way the money will be spent.

Last edited by 91c1500sleeper; Jan 27th, 19 at 7:34 PM.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 2:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

So after reading alot of different forums on heads and valvetrain I have decided to get the tooling to cut the guides myself and install SD1004 springs for the voodoo cam. I talked to Skoggins Dickey already and those springs will accomidate the cam. I will also have to measure the guides before ordering the tool to get the correct one. This will allow me to spend the money I would have used to buy new heads on something else. I will also port match the intake and exhaust ports on the head since the gaskets have been mated for the past 4 years. I will either reuse the intake I currently have or get a better one for the Q-jet.

Here is a thread that has a ton of vortec info. Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide | NastyZ28.com
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

I'm going to do this upgrade in stages. First stage is to get the carb back on the motor and get it running like it should. I rebuilt the edelbrock with a kit and found a few parts missing and some mismatched. It all correct now and floats set per the instructions. I removed the entire fitech system. I have an AEM AFR gauge I will install to help tuning. Gonna install some new plugs as well and make sure the header bolts are tight. Then get the timing set and hope to be frying the rear passenger tire. My only thing I trying to finger out is the fuel system. I have a walbro 255lhr pump in the tank. Can I simply get a fuel pressure regulator with a return and plumb it all in and be good to go dialing it down to about 6 psi? I've read alot of different theories. I guess I could just lift the bed and pull the efi pump and install a regular pick up and put the fuel pump back on the motor and be done. But I would like to leave the efi system incase I decide to go back to efi down the road.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:14 PM
Team Member
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 2,641
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
I'm going to do this upgrade in stages. First stage is to get the carb back on the motor and get it running like it should. I rebuilt the edelbrock with a kit and found a few parts missing and some mismatched. It all correct now and floats set per the instructions. I removed the entire fitech system. I have an AEM AFR gauge I will install to help tuning. Gonna install some new plugs as well and make sure the header bolts are tight. Then get the timing set and hope to be frying the rear passenger tire. My only thing I trying to finger out is the fuel system. I have a walbro 255lhr pump in the tank. Can I simply get a fuel pressure regulator with a return and plumb it all in and be good to go dialing it down to about 6 psi? I've read alot of different theories. I guess I could just lift the bed and pull the efi pump and install a regular pick up and put the fuel pump back on the motor and be done. But I would like to leave the efi system incase I decide to go back to efi down the road.
I bought the Aeromotive regulator with my Walbro in tank pump setup...it has 4 ports. Used one for return, one for front bowl, one for the rear bowl and one to feed the nitrous system...works fine. Not a cheap regulator though.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Geo71 is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

My edelbrock only has one inlet with no outlet. I'm guessing I need a FPR with a bypass and a return port on the bottom. I've also read the return line needs to be bigger than the main fuel line to get the excess fuel back to the tank so it's not deadheading against the diaphram in the regulator and wear it out prematurely.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 7:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 903
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
My edelbrock only has one inlet with no outlet. I'm guessing I need a FPR with a bypass and a return port on the bottom. I've also read the return line needs to be bigger than the main fuel line to get the excess fuel back to the tank so it's not deadheading against the diaphram in the regulator and wear it out prematurely.
The Return line does NOT have to be bigger than feed line. Have done many return systems using all kinds of regulators and never ran a larger return line and had zero issues. Your pump is way big for your small block so you really do need the return.
Your engine will thank you. Also will stop any vapor lock problems. Make sure and keep all your bends on nice big radiuses. No sharp 90 degree elbows!

67 SS BBC
4.11's
bradley67 is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 11:03 PM
Team Member
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 2,641
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
My edelbrock only has one inlet with no outlet. I'm guessing I need a FPR with a bypass and a return port on the bottom. I've also read the return line needs to be bigger than the main fuel line to get the excess fuel back to the tank so it's not deadheading against the diaphram in the regulator and wear it out prematurely.
You can plug off the unused ports....bottom is the inlet from the tank, use one port to feed you carb and one for the return.

My return one is the same size....I don't think it matters that much.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Geo71 is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 8:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Thanks gents for clearing up the muddy water. I will get the parts tomorrow and see what happens.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 19, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

So the guy at the speed shop talked me out of the FPR. Told me I'd be better off running a FP off the motor and a plain sending unit in the tank. So that's the route I went and it lives! Dummy me put the fuel lines on the FP ass backwards and was wondering why I couldn't get fuel to the carb. My neighbor came over and we figured it out when the feed line was sucking gas from the water bottle to see if we had flow. Switched the lines and it fired right up and idled down. Warmed up nicely and very responsive on the throttle. Now to finish hooking wires up for the fan and some gauges inside the truck and take it for a test drive next week.

Fitech sucks is all I have to say! I know some people have had success with it but not this guy!
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 130
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

So I have the truck running pretty good. ALOT better with the carb than it ever did with the fitech. I wired in an AFR gauge from AFM and did it per their instructions and it does not light up or work. Anyone using one with a carb that can tell me what I did wrong? I have the O2 sensor in the bung on the header. I wired the red wire to a keyed 12 volt and the black to a ground per the instructions. Am I missing something? I still haven't found the timing light I want yet. But it must be close cause with a bump of the key it starts and runs nice!
427L88 likes this.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 8:26 AM
Gold Member
Gene
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,351
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

YEAH BUDDY!

I cant help on the afm wiring, but glad it come together. You know when i was a solider our teams still had the KISS mentality, so I dig on the exnay of the EFI in a way.
91c1500sleeper likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
427L88 is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,121
Garage
Re: Stroke it or leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
So I have the truck running pretty good. ALOT better with the carb than it ever did with the fitech. I wired in an AFR gauge from AFM and did it per their instructions and it does not light up or work. Anyone using one with a carb that can tell me what I did wrong? I have the O2 sensor in the bung on the header. I wired the red wire to a keyed 12 volt and the black to a ground per the instructions. Am I missing something? I still haven't found the timing light I want yet. But it must be close cause with a bump of the key it starts and runs nice!
Maybe the problem with the O2 for the AFR is the same issue you had with FiTech?
Rokker likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Pioneer4x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome