42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 7:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Thor

Re: 498 Dyno, RR270 ovals and Straub cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Nice build and the results to back it up.
On a side note,noticed you have a Dave's small body HEI.
Recently picked on of those up myself,he sure does nice work.Looking forward to using it.

Yes he does!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 7:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I have DUI's small body version of a HEI. I had to go to it because the regular HEI would not fit between the injector rails on the Holly Multiport Fuel Injection. Works Great.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...1&d=1547299603

The DUI coil mounts right on the firewall.
That's purdy! What hydro boost unit did you go with and how do you like it?

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 8:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitsass View Post
That's purdy! What hydro boost unit did you go with and how do you like it?
I went with a Level 2 street kit from Hydratech. It works fantastic with the 4 wheel disc brakes. It took a Sunday Morning to install.

Hydratech Braking Systems :: Products

The only thing I did not use was their hoses. I had some heavy duty power steering hoses made at the local NAPA.
kermitsass likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
242/254 on 107 LSA has to be lumpy as heck. You already had the heads? My guess is those are a choke point. 500" stroker could've used at least a 300cc intake runner and a smaller cam with wider LSA. I'm going to guess this motor only pulls about 7-8" vacuum at idle?
What color green is your 69? I always seem to stumble into green cars, this and my last 69 were 59 code, I had a 57 code 69 ss, and 45 code 70 chevelle and camaro. I think this one may end up fathom green.

Like everything in life it's a compromise... I was doing a 468 when I bought the heads but didn't think I could make my goals with it and have the drive-ability I want. It makes a ton of torque exactly where I wanted it, Idle is pretty rough and at 1000 rpm, but it is VERY responsive down low. I recognize that Alan's MJ motor makes a LOT more and carries it up higher very well with 781s so I'm not convinced a bigger head is the direction I would go. It's a driver and deeper gears are not a compromise I was willing to take.
mr 4 speed and 427L88 like this.

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Garage

Good Job. Congrats

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Strange S-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Rat Muscle Parts Hauler)
2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special (Cruiser)
2007 Harley Davidson Road King Custom (Bar Hopper)
2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ Duramax (Daily Driver)

My Chevelle:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C & D Performance

North Texas Chevelles
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
What color green is your 69? I always seem to stumble into green cars, this and my last 69 were 59 code, I had a 57 code 69 ss, and 45 code 70 chevelle and camaro. I think this one may end up fathom green.

Like everything in life it's a compromise... I was doing a 468 when I bought the heads but didn't think I could make my goals with it and have the drive-ability I want. It makes a ton of torque exactly where I wanted it, Idle is pretty rough and at 1000 rpm, but it is VERY responsive down low. I recognize that Alan's MJ motor makes a LOT more and carries it up higher very well with 781s so I'm not convinced a bigger head is the direction I would go. It's a driver and deeper gears are not a compromise I was willing to take.
Iron 781's or 049's MJ puts out probably flow about the same or better than a good aftermarket 290-300 oval port. Big difference.

I sold the car in 2012 after battle with cancer. It was Code 59 also Frost Green Metallic. Didn't mean to knock the results, with a 270cc intake port on 4.25" stroke motor I didn't see the benefit of a 102 ICL and such a tight lobe separation. I would've bet that motor would've made equivalent power with a less aggressive ICL and a wider lobe sep. and had added benefit of better idle. Numbers speak for themselves, you got 624HP at 5700. Even if that motor had dyno'd at 594 hp (giving up 30hp) with less aggressive cam, you'd never know it on a street car. Limiting factor is still going to be the tires.

FWIW, I was running 3.42's behind the 540", had a set of 3.08's here to put in, never got around to it. Your engine will easily pull whatever gear you want to put into it if you decide to go to less gear. Enjoy.

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Thor

Joe, didn't take it as a knock. I come across defensive mostly because I'm not very articulate and I've been told I'm not very good at the internet.

I understand, and even agree with everything you said, I put this out here for debate More than one way to skin a cat.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 5:36 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I have DUI's small body version of a HEI. I had to go to it because the regular HEI would not fit between the injector rails on the Holly Multiport Fuel Injection. Works Great.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...1&d=1547299603

The DUI coil mounts right on the firewall.
Are those hooker headers in the pic? I am still building mine and my hookers wrap around the frame but wont clear the stock upper control arm. I am going BMI route but I am concerned still
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclluke View Post
Are those hooker headers in the pic? I am still building mine and my hookers wrap around the frame but wont clear the stock upper control arm. I am going BMI route but I am concerned still
No. Those are 2 1/8 Lemons.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 6:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Joe, didn't take it as a knock. I come across defensive mostly because I'm not very articulate and I've been told I'm not very good at the internet.

I understand, and even agree with everything you said, I put this out here for debate More than one way to skin a cat.

Wasn't taking it as a knock at all, just good discussion content. What you put together is going to be powerful as hell, certainly a lot more powerful than what you may have been used to in the past. 600HP building as a progressive power curve is one thing, 600FTLB torque hitting as 3000 rpm is quite another. It will be fun to drive - right up to the point where you're spending as much on tires as gas!
427L88 and kermitsass like this.

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 7:43 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Which is why I spec'd my new MJ mill to hit 600 FT LBS...HP falls wherever it may.....

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 8:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

I'm curious how much vacuum were you able to pull on this setup?

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Heck, Thor's gotta be seeing all of 11-12"hg with 490ci, and I'm likely low. Now's that gonna be A THUMPAH RAT !

To Chris Straub et al, Thor's mill dropping TQ off so rapidly in the mid 5000 range; is that the 107 LSA or heads, or both or neither? Curious how to keep that 600 ft lbs intact, lobe sep, head flow.. up thru 6000? RR ovals decent head, Or is that a common dyno result with such "small" cams? The uninformed would like to know.....
kermitsass likes this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Heck, Thor's gotta be seeing all of 11-12"hg with 490ci, and I'm likely low. Now's that gonna be A THUMPAH RAT !

To Chris Straub et al, Thor's mill dropping TQ off so rapidly in the mid 5000 range; is that the 107 LSA or heads, or both or neither? Curious how to keep that 600 ft lbs intact, lobe sep, head flow.. up thru 6000? RR ovals decent head, Or is that a common dyno result with such "small" cams? The uninformed would like to know.....
With peak power goal at 5700-6000 rpm, the cam being designed to peak there, the torque will fall off rapidly as the lobe area decreases.
427L88 and kermitsass like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 2:20 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Capische! Thank you Chris.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in