11's in a steel car with a Qjet? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

 59Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 5:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,807
11's in a steel car with a Qjet?



No, its not my goal, but tis a great click bait title, aint it?

I'll ask the engine pro, yet for discussions sake, I know old records were held with Qjet cars running 11's. To Eric, Von, Gary, Mark etc, etc, who really know these carbs and have run them in max effort setups, can you build one to support a very healthy 454, pushing 600 ponies? I'm sure it may take some tuning afterwards, but simply wonder if they have enough fuel capacity to hold up for a full 1/4 mile run? These new rollerized well ported BBCs make more snot than before, to be sure, but also eat more air. This carb would also then also need to behave like a highly efficient Qjet at part throttle cruise. Am willing to sneak a real fuel regulator in the system if need be.

For the record, idle vacuum ought be 14"hg min with a baby [email protected] roller.


Curious to hear any experiences. I didnt find much in search. have buddy who sort of gave up on dialing in the Qjet on his 454. Would love to hear better!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
427L88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11,040
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Yes. Super stock cars use them and run deep into the 9’s on them. Most of the faster classes had factory holleys. My friend held the h/sa record with a 350 69 nova at 11.14 with a qjet back about 10 years ago.
von, Steve R, 427L88 and 3 others like this.

Ray


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
bracketchev1221 is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 2,386
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Very common with the Buick and Olds guys....a lot us run Q-Jets.
They are a great Carb. Sure they have there disadvantages....but they are fun to work on.

Dan
427L88, WHT/73 and fr8dog like this.

Owner of..... The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Lemans Blue (Sold to "69 Post Sedan")
1972 SS 502 T400 410 posi Mohave Gold
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Gulfstream Blue
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Postsedan is offline  
 
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 6:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yukon ok.
Posts: 4,995
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Here is a bit of good reading on it.
Quadrajet spilling fuel at launch | V8buick.com
427L88 likes this.
jeff swisher is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 6:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: International Falls MN
Posts: 6,354
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Gene you forgot the guy from New Jersy. I run a Qjet. 600 hp should be a problem.
427L88 likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
77 cruiser is offline  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 6:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Gene you forgot the guy from New Jersy. I run a Qjet. 600 hp should be a problem.
I think you mean “should NOT be a problem”.
427L88 and davewho1 like this.
novadude is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 7:18 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Mooresville, IN (Indianapolis)
Posts: 14,463
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Like previously said, NHRA Super Stock cars run deep into the 9's with them. With setups that have very low vacuum (big cams) and have trouble with idle, some do away with the primary power valve and metering rods and seal the vacuum hole, then run primary jets around .008 bigger. As far as keeping the small bowl full at WOT, the secret is plenty of fuel volume, not pressure. Q jets are sensitive to too much pressure, 6-7 psi is about it. To get max volume you need at least 1/2" fuel line with a very good elect pump back near the tank with regulator near carb and a return line is good.
11's are no problem at all with a properly set up street friendly Q jet with stock type primary PV and rods. I ran one on my 11 second NHRA stocker back in the 70's with no problems even with a 3/8" fuel line and no return.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
von is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 8:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,807
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

I was thinking same. Might have to give it a "push" to get best volume, without jacking up psi too much. Have to get back to finding a good core.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y"ALL!
davewho1 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
427L88 is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CO/TO
Posts: 4,233
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post


No, its not my goal, but tis a great click bait title, aint it?

I'll ask the engine pro, yet for discussions sake, I know old records were held with Qjet cars running 11's. To Eric, Von, Gary, Mark etc, etc, who really know these carbs and have run them in max effort setups, can you build one to support a very healthy 454, pushing 600 ponies? I'm sure it may take some tuning afterwards, but simply wonder if they have enough fuel capacity to hold up for a full 1/4 mile run? These new rollerized well ported BBCs make more snot than before, to be sure, but also eat more air. This carb would also then also need to behave like a highly efficient Qjet at part throttle cruise. Am willing to sneak a real fuel regulator in the system if need be.

For the record, idle vacuum ought be 14"hg min with a baby [email protected] roller.


Curious to hear any experiences. I didnt find much in search. have buddy who sort of gave up on dialing in the Qjet on his 454. Would love to hear better!

Here you go........... a lot of stockness. Low 11s @ Denver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	582052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	582054  
mr 4 speed, 427L88, fr8dog and 3 others like this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
VORTECPRO is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: International Falls MN
Posts: 6,354
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I think you mean “should NOT be a problem”.
Yea. No need to proof read.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
77 cruiser is offline  
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 12:27 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 28,413
Garage
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

well, I'm not Eric, Von, Gary, Mark but I do work on Q-jets preyty regular. I have 3 torn down and going back together on my bench now. Yes, you can run your number on a Q, as long as you don't get mixed up with the wrong crowd and stray from the One True Path of Q-jet goodness. if you get a car/engine like together let me know. I'll build you one for free.

I've thought of running two on a tunnel ram, came pretty close to geeting one running on a boat. then the guy blew up the crank with an "oil cooler" he didn't even need.
427L88 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Tom Mobley is offline  
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City,Mo.
Posts: 4,408
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

i keep thinking about q jets on a tunnel ram. my biggest concern would be fuel distribution to the individual runners. how much plenum would it need? maybe adjusting the secondary throttle angle helps some. as far as airflow theres numerous mods you can make like thinning the throttle shafts removing casting flash and going to bigger primary throttle bores like the 800 cfm pontiac qjets. the ss/ga 68 camaro my friend runs with a 350 runs 9.80s in good air

Last edited by gnicholson; Jan 1st, 19 at 1:12 AM.
gnicholson is online now  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 8:42 AM
Tech Team
Durand
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 465
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Quad Q-jets on a tunnel ram.

427L88 and 72BB Nova like this.

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
LaVelle is offline  
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,807
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

I apologize Tom, I knew when I started rattlin' off names I may miss one. Heck Phil Valentine sent me QJ parts ten years back. Just so everyone knows, my mom was a executive secretary at RPD and dad a machinist at DELCO in Rochester NY. So that Q is well, part of the fam. I spoke to Tom Toal years back, who was one of the original engineers and still built carbs in retirement. ( no more)

I donnow Mark, I have a couple of Holley's laying around ( 750, 850) and a brace of them on the tripower, but.... wonder if we could fit a dual flange manifold on that rat!? I cant seem to find one other than the rectal port ones, akin to the marine manifold I have, GM dual flange, rect port. I'm thinking a "Quadzilla" giving us 900 cfm may not hold back the rat too much. And then I can label it a 325hp 396 as it was originally. Trying to find a decent spread bore oval port high rise.. all I see is Chinese knockoffs....

BTW.... " I'll build you one for free"... is a stunning offer Tom. I have two unacceptable castings. I'll try and find better OR I'll simply order a Quadzilla from SMI if funds allow.

Just that the new engine wont have the same ratty 10" Hg idle, which can be hard to dial QJets in with. I've not had a ton of luck chopping power piston springs down a coil or two for low vacuum engines.
72BB Nova likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
427L88 is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Jeff
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 104
Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
I apologize Tom, I knew when I started rattlin' off names I may miss one. Heck Phil Valentine sent me QJ parts ten years back. Just so everyone knows, my mom was a executive secretary at RPD and dad a machinist at DELCO in Rochester NY. So that Q is well, part of the fam. I spoke to Tom Toal years back, who was one of the original engineers and still built carbs in retirement. ( no more)

I donnow Mark, I have a couple of Holley's laying around ( 750, 850) and a brace of them on the tripower, but.... wonder if we could fit a dual flange manifold on that rat!? I cant seem to find one other than the rectal port ones, akin to the marine manifold I have, GM dual flange, rect port. I'm thinking a "Quadzilla" giving us 900 cfm may not hold back the rat too much. And then I can label it a 325hp 396 as it was originally. Trying to find a decent spread bore oval port high rise.. all I see is Chinese knockoffs....

BTW.... " I'll build you one for free"... is a stunning offer Tom. I have two unacceptable castings. I'll try and find better OR I'll simply order a Quadzilla from SMI if funds allow.

Just that the new engine wont have the same ratty 10" Hg idle, which can be hard to dial QJets in with. I've not had a ton of luck chopping power piston springs down a coil or two for low vacuum engines.
When I talked with Sean Murphy a couple months ago about my new 800 I had him build for my truck, I asked him about a Quadzilla for my Nova. He said with a 454 you could run a cam in the low 240's @.050 and with a 496, low 230's, I don't think they like a tight LSA either. Your thinking like I am with building a nice 454 or 496 and make it look like a 325/396.
dragginwagon406 likes this.

Jeff
1972 Nova
496/T56 Magnum/3.73
1964 Corvair Spyder coupe
1975 C20 Camper Special 454/TH400
72BB Nova is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 413 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome