11's in a steel car with a Qjet? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: 11's in a steel car with a Qjet?

My buddy went an 11.0 with his 71 BBB GS street car.
Used the power window to get his time slip.
mr 4 speed likes this.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Greg Gessler from New Jersey hit a 10.99 several years back in his Stock Appearing 72? Buick GS with an iron Buick intake and iron Buick heads, using a Q jet, so it is possible.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Greg Gessler from New Jersey hit a 10.99 several years back in his Stock Appearing 72? Buick GS with an iron Buick intake and iron Buick heads, using a Q jet, so it is possible.
I was at Robs shop for a Christmas party last week with Greg.
He and Rob are very good friends!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 1:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
wonder if we could fit a dual flange manifold on that rat!? I cant seem to find one other than the rectal port ones, akin to the marine manifold I have, GM dual flange, rect port.
Here you go Gene:

https://paceperformance.com/i-625506...read-bore.html

Do it! IMO, Q-jets are THE best street carb for almost any real street car. I run high-12's @ 108 mph with a Q-jet on my 355.
427L88 and 72BB Nova like this.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 1:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

All this talk of the Qjet makes me want to dig all mine out and see if i have a decent amount of parts to do a tunnel-ram dual carb set up.
I have been wanting to pull the RPM air gap off my 57 4door as it does not like this cold winter air.
My RPM did better and I have ran a tunnel-ram in the winter and had no issues like the RPM air gap is giving me.

Better velocity i suppose with tunnel-ram and the old RPM got some more heat in the runners.

When I tested Qjet vs my Holley on the RPM intake the Holley was 10 hp better at the wheels.
When I tested the same 2 carbs on a ported Q jet intake the Q jet was 10 Hp better.

That huge secondary side plays well with the correct intake.
Like stated I would need to play with tunnel-ram plenum volume.. I would try it with spacers though.

I have lots of AFB and Edelbrock Square bores to test the Q jets against.

My 78 Nova went 12.9 @ 110 with TH350 and uniroyal tiger paws 275-60-15 and 350" with Q jet intake and iron exhaust manifolds Q jet carb and single point distributor I was using 186 casting heads I ported everything manifolds and all.

Headers and RPM intake took it to 12.5 et with same tires.
427L88 likes this.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 4:57 PM
Tech Team

One of my close friends, Bob Hinson, has a '67 pontiac tempest that has gone 11-teens with a quadrajet, no nitrous, and air conditioning/power steering. This was like 20 years ago. In fact, in 1995 I think car craft did a full 5 page feature on his car. He has owned it since 1973 and still has it. It's a 462 stock block based engine, nothing radical. It's heavier than stock with the cage. It's a real show car in addition to the performance. Oh, it's a pontiac engine too.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 3:02 AM
Tech Team
Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BB Nova View Post
When I talked with Sean Murphy a couple months ago about my new 800 I had him build for my truck, I asked him about a Quadzilla for my Nova. He said with a 454 you could run a cam in the low 240's @.050 and with a 496, low 230's, I don't think they like a tight LSA either. Your thinking like I am with building a nice 454 or 496 and make it look like a 325/396.
Been working on the make a 454 to look like a 325/396.

I got ahold of a 800cfm. Q-jet myself and have massaged a old high rise for just that purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	582168  
427L88, 72BB Nova and jeff swisher like this.

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 7:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BB Nova View Post
When I talked with Sean Murphy a couple months ago about my new 800 I had him build for my truck, I asked him about a Quadzilla for my Nova. He said with a 454 you could run a cam in the low 240's @.050 and with a 496, low 230's, I don't think they like a tight LSA either. Your thinking like I am with building a nice 454 or 496 and make it look like a 325/396.
Am having an engine created to replace the 427. More of a stock 375/396 idle ( similar to LS6 as I was told). I could always run the tripower again, yet Mark will ship it with a single 4 bbl mani on there. I think I would prefer a dual flange, as its alot more likely to run a QJet .

Emailed Cliff Ruggles some time back ( he runs an 11 sec Buford) and he echoed what you all said, trying to make power out of a Qjet requires big volumes, not pressures. so to optimize for a Q. i;d have to plumb new lines I think, or at the least push the fuel up to the mech pump.

That GMPP intake looks OK, except I'd have to stealth it out with orange paint. ( a far cry from a mirror polished tripower intake! ) Then I could run my detailed out orange valve covers.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 8:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
That GMPP intake looks OK, except I'd have to stealth it out with orange paint. ( a far cry from a mirror polished tripower intake! ) Then I could run my detailed out orange valve covers.
Edelbrock also makes the identical intake: "Performer RPM Qjet" and its probably a few dollars cheaper than the GMPP.
I think it would be pretty cool to have the new engine dressed as a L35 396 complete with the Chevy orange "sleeper" intake,Qjet and factory chrome covers. Nice sleeper.
Plus you can play too..run a Qjet or square bore Holley or go back the tri-power too. Options are nice
von, 427L88, novadude and 1 others like this.

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 9:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

750dp, 850 dp, 3X2 or Qjet. I mean it wont be a F.A.S.T. car Chris, non oem intake, but....... thnx for tip on Eddy intake. Will insist on Mark using it. I;d rather grind EDELBROCK off than a bowtie anyhow when I de-bling it.
mr 4 speed and novadude like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 6:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Then why not just a Holley aka 396/375 and be done with it?

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 11:34 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
Been working on the make a 454 to look like a 325/396.

I got ahold of a 800cfm. Q-jet myself and have massaged a old high rise for just that purpose.
I've got 2 of those intakes myself. I've often wondered how they would compare to a Performer RPM Q jet with some work done to them. Me personally I would rather look at a stock appearing BB than one that has a bunch of chrome and billet aluminum all over it.
von likes this.

Jeff
1972 Nova
496/T56 Magnum/3.73
1964 Corvair Spyder coupe
1975 C20 Camper Special 454/TH400
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 6:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Reread this thread. Are you planning to run a snorkel air cleaner with the heated air, etc? or an open air cleaner? I'd be more impressed to open the hood and see a Holley on a factory appearing intake with correct fuel system plumbing.
427L88 likes this.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 6:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Edelbrock makes RPM quadrajet bbc intakes.
https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...6-5l--v8-45431
427L88 likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 7:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
Then why not just a Holley aka 396/375 and be done with it?
aw heck Joe, I got two of those ready to go. Why? Because its a 325 hp 396 car and everyone runs a holley. The stock Holley 600cfm wont support 600 hp, my 850 might. As might a Qjet. The tripower would be worse than a Qjet, hp wise. I'd like t try and get it plumbed sort of oem, but snorkels scare me. I'd have to open the thing up somehow.

Undecided, but I think I'll use the EDEL Qjet rpm on the 475 if the builder is OK with it. Then I can slap a SMI Quadzilla on the beast. I fact, I may have it shipped to him to dyno it and see how much it loses over the 1000cfm he typically uses in his dyno. Or not.

Why not? Mom worked at RPD, its in my blood!

So not the right thread, but 325 HP SS cars didnt have chrome valve covers did they? Or did they? I seem to remember Qjets and orange covers , but it must've been on an Impala or Biscayne.
mr 4 speed and Malibu ss 64 like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 417 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.