Snow Flake Head 454 Dyno Results....... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Re: Snow Flake Head 454 Dyno Results.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
That sucker looks real fat. I guess it liked a lot of fuel.
02's weren't turned on for that pull.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
088 casting
Correction...077 casting.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I gotta say, a 10:1 454 w/077 heads and that cam making 575 HP is impressive in my book. Nice combo that will be a blast to drive and have the ability to get into the high 10's/low 11's with a well sorted car.
JMHO
steelcomp and mrpaticular like this.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I gotta say, a 10:1 454 w/077 heads and that cam making 575 HP is impressive in my book. Nice combo that will be a blast to drive and have the ability to get into the high 10's/low 11's with a well sorted car.
JMHO
The Ol school cam has proven itself to be very well suited for the the OEM headed BBC running around out there.
mr 4 speed, 427L88 and dell72 like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team

Chris, what is the maximum recommendation for the 5374 lifters? Will they work with the .620/.600 Clay smith cam or is it time to step up?
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

It was kind unfortunate, and very fortunate at the same time, for the owner. He had sent us the long block with heads torqued on, cam installed, and all I was supposed to do was check the degree on the cam and do the valve train geometry, measure for pushrods, install the pan and finish up the motor for dyno. Well, the heads had green painters tape over the intake ports and were supposed to be fresh form the machine shop. When I pulled the tape off, this is what I found when I looked in the ports:

So I contacted the owner and he said lets pull the heads off and please check them out...

Notice how the head gasket doesn't even seal on one end of the head. They were pretty sad. Horrible, in fact.
We installed liners in all the guides (retained the factory 3/8 valves), installed new larger intake seats, gave them a fresh valve job and surface and re-assembled with new springs, retainers and locks. Valve job depths all get equalized to within .001" (after surfacing) and installed height on springs is within .005 high to low (+/-.0025"). We have springs in bulk so I sort through them and get springs all within 5# high to low (+/- 2.5#). We do this to every set of heads that leaves the shop. The ex seats on these heads were the hardest thing I've ever cut and actually needed to be hit with a stone for final finish. Probably Stellite. In the end, with our valve job and additional back cut on the intake valve, they turned out to be a real nice set of very clean, unmolested heads and seemed to work just fine.

(before I took them apart)

On the dyno

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Last edited by steelcomp; Dec 21st, 18 at 10:09 AM.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Very nice Scott. Wish I had clearance for a Vic Jr
What did you use for oil pan , tray ??

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Chris, what is the maximum recommendation for the 5374 lifters? Will they work with the .620/.600 Clay smith cam or is it time to step up?
.375 lobe lift
6500 rpm Max
150/400 spring rate

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
FYI, TC'er B433 Brian fit a modified Vic Jr under the stock hood of his 66 Chevelle. There is another thread in the performance section about 67 hood clearance where he discusses the modifications.
427L88 likes this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Pan is a Summit/Moroso deal. It's claimed to be 8" deep but actually 8.5". The pickup they recommend (Moroso p/n) leaves 1"+ of pickup to pan clearance so we got one from Stefs. This is still about 5/8 clearance with a gasket on the pan. Std volume Melling pump.
I'm guessing the slight drop in pressure is before oil starts getting back in the pan and the level drops some. I think I had 6 qts total. Might want 7. We also found out the dyno is reading about 7-8# lower than it should.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
.375 lobe lift
6500 rpm Max
150/400 spring rate
I think I could pull it off.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:30 AM
Gold Member
Gene

HOLY COW! Scott's the pro so I'm sure the're not that great to him , yet... so far the best heads I've ever had on my car were well prepped 074s. 118.75 mph worth of head. They were drama prone, to be sure, which is why I offed them. But can make some good power, even in a short stroke 433. Those were fugly prepped. Like high school shop class crap, chatter, etc. Wow.

P.S> I hope to get some "good heads" next year and wake the beast back up.

NICE WORK FELLAS!

PS
Quote:
Brian is as careful and fastidious as you Bill. I read some of that thread, it takes a bit of fiddling to be sure.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!
steelcomp likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Just curious. Is the aluminum alloy in these newer "snowflake" heads better than the old heads we used back in the '70's?

Did the custome already have these heads?
427L88 likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:43 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
Just curious. Is the aluminum alloy in these newer "snowflake" heads better than the old heads we used back in the '70's?

Did the custome already have these heads?
What newer snowflake heads are you referring to? Todays GM heads?

92Camaro
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 11:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
Quote:
FYI, TC'er B433 Brian fit a modified Vic Jr under the stock hood of his 66 Chevelle. There is another thread in the performance section about 67 hood clearance where he discusses the modifications.
Wont work for me I have the factory Cowl Plenum air cleaner it’s 1 1/4” taller than the stock open element assembly I had to machine 1/8” off carb pad on the air gap to clear
427L88 likes this.

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in