L89 Stock Appearing Nova 10.63@131 - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 8:08 PM
Tech Team

I will take that bet. I know him but no i am not him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: L89 Stock Appearing Nova [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
No hop bars are not traction bars, they relocate the rear of upper control by approximately 1 1/2. I doubt the guys with leaf spring cars are running off the shelf OE replacement springs. They are probably having them made to their specs. Things donít need to be stock, just stock appearing, they give plenty of leway for items that arenít visible such as internal engine components. The faster cars in the class this thread is about are well sorted out race cars. Like any race car, they pick apart the rulebook looking for an advantage.

Steve R
That's what I was getting at. The really fast guys have to be doing something with suspensions, even if they look stock. Things like different spring rate (front and rear), loose bushings up front and maybe shocks with different characteristics than OEM assembly line stuff, etc, etc. I can't believe that everyone of these cars is running on exact assembly line spec stuff, even if it appears stock.

Plus, tq converter design must be completely different from a slick car, so as not to hit the tires too hard. I would wager the guys running 10s aren't using some out of the box TCI deal from Jegs.
Steve R likes this.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 10:25 PM
Tech Team

Garage
I dig the stock appearing cars getting it. Kind of what I have in mind for my ‘70 Monte Carlo.

Proving every day hindsight is 20/20.

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Fellow Supercar racer Ted D's 100% stock appearing L89 Nova ran an astounding [email protected] MPH this weekend at Atco.
On repro Polyglas tires.

That Nova just screams "bitchin"!!
mr 4 speed likes this.

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!!
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 1:47 AM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds

The fact that he runs 131mph with 2.5" exhaust is very interesting considering how many think they need 3" with 4-500hp engines.

What great "sleepers" all those stock appearing cars are..

Bob
mr 4 speed and Dan Orgill like this.
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 6:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 Olds View Post
The fact that he runs 131mph with 2.5" exhaust is very interesting considering how many think they need 3" with 4-500hp engines.

What great "sleepers" all those stock appearing cars are..

Bob

Does make you question the need for 3" exhaust.

I would guess this car has been lightened significantly. I can think of a number of ways to pull weight out : sound deadener, seat frames, gutted electronics (not that these cars had a lot of electronics), door bracing.
Steve R likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 3:53 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
Does make you question the need for 3" exhaust.

I would guess this car has been lightened significantly. I can think of a number of ways to pull weight out : sound deadener, seat frames, gutted electronics (not that these cars had a lot of electronics), door bracing.
Acid dipping, thinner repro parts, alum stock appearing radiator (painted black), small light battery inside gutted stock case, etc.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 4:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Don't get this car confused with something you see driving down the Katy Freeway.

It's a race car, built to meet the specifications of a distinct class and optimize the perameters of the competition it will be involved in, that being 1/4 mile drag racing.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 11:56 AM
Tech Team

Garage

is this car really turning a 1.50 short time on true bias ply tire , or are they a super soft radial made to look like a bias ply, the bias ply from the 60 and early 70s was hard as a rock. i bet if you took one of those tires the nova is running and analyzed it u would find it a cheater tire
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 1:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potent rodent View Post
is this car really turning a 1.50 short time on true bias ply tire , or are they a super soft radial made to look like a bias ply, the bias ply from the 60 and early 70s was hard as a rock. i bet if you took one of those tires the nova is running and analyzed it u would find it a cheater tire

In regards to the Nova, his short time was 1.66 on the 10.63 run and the tires are NOT CHEATERS,they are Goodyear Polyglas repro bia plys.
So you would lose that bet
..did you read our rules on the Supercar website? NO STICKY OR SOFT COMPOUND TIRES.PERIOD

Heck,I have raced on the IDENTICAL Goodyear repro bias ply tires (G70-14) and my best 60 ft. was 1.89

post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 3:00 PM
Tech Team

Garage

yes mr 4 speed i read the rules and your car runs damm good for your class, but are the tires a true bias tire. back in the 60s i had them on my 325 hp 396 4 speed chevelle with a 331 rear gear i could lite them up in 3rd gear . are the bias ply tire made the same as back then are the belts ran the same way just asking
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 3:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potent rodent View Post
yes mr 4 speed i read the rules and your car runs damm good for your class, but are the tires a true bias tire. back in the 60s i had them on my 325 hp 396 4 speed chevelle with a 331 rear gear i could lite them up in 3rd gear . are the bias ply tire made the same as back then are the belts ran the same way just asking
Thank you for the kind words (along with reading our rules) and yes-they are a true bias ply tire:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...+5ba26a5537ffb

They drive like crap and I can light them up at highway speeds up to 55 MPH by just rolling the throttle. Lots of fun
Ted's Nova runs the same tires.
p40 likes this.

post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 6:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

All you have to do is stick your fingernails into a set of these new reproduction tires. 60's tires (even 60's era slicks) were as hard as rocks. These new tires are made of lots softer and stickier rubber. If you haven't tried them, don't knock them.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 10:21 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
All you have to do is stick your fingernails into a set of these new reproduction tires. 60's tires (even 60's era slicks) were as hard as rocks. These new tires are made of lots softer and stickier rubber. If you haven't tried them, don't knock them.
thats what i thought the newer tires are softer and sticky just could not get anbody to say it, i remember the ol 60s slick yes they was hard as a brick. i cant knock them because i have not run them
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 10:25 AM
Tech Team

Re: L89 Stock Appearing Nova 10.6[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Rickyhill,
If I was a betting a man I bet that you use to post on this site as NPS Nova and have been at least 2X's before. I may be wrong, but I don't loose to many bets.
Supposed to meet up with him today and get some more stuff off him. I bought his heads intake and cam for my l88 motor i will be putting in my S10. Want me to say hi for you or ask any question.
p40 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 397 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.