header performance - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

2Likes
  • 1 Post By mr 4 speed
  • 1 Post By engineguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 5:24 PM Thread Starter

header performance

I currently have some mid 90's Hookersupercomps 2 1/8 primaries with 3.5" collectors that need replacing. I have found a deal on a set of darkside hookersupercomps but they are only 2" primaries and 3.5" collectors. I have dart 325 heads and am wondering if going to the smaller tube is going to hinder performance by much? Any idea or is it not going to matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 6:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: header performance

I have a friend (mino65 here on TC) that runs high 9's @135+ MPH with a pump gas oval port 496 with those "only" 2 inch primary/3.5 inch collector Hookers.
Molly's 70 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 7:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill R

As stated above, there is a very good possibility that the 2" primary tube headers will out-perform the 2.125" primary tubes that you are now using. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to header tube diameter.
Steve R likes this.

Bill
64 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe (original owner) car now has 427" BB, Jerico 5-spd. trans., Dana 60 rear end.

SAE Member (25+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 9:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

we dont have any information to give you a header recommendation. how big is the engine? what cam,whats the intended useage how much compression etc etc. i will tell you that i have 2.125 headers on my 505 inch racecar that makes 860 hp and its not faster with 2.25 headers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 18, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
we dont have any information to give you a header recommendation. how big is the engine? what cam,whats the intended useage how much compression etc etc. i will tell you that i have 2.125 headers on my 505 inch racecar that makes 860 hp and its not faster with 2.25 headers.
depends on how many cubic inches and how tight you are turning it. there is a point where they just won't flow any more exaust.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 18, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

I'm only running a weenie little SBC, but it made 915 HP @7600 RPM on the dyno with 2" to 2-1/8" step headers. I'm running 2" x 3.5" headers in the car. The corrected chassis dyno and ET/MPH in the 1/8th mile seem to indicate high 880 HP. So as installed vs. dyno could be losing up to 30 HP.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 4:29 AM
Tech Team
Tim T

Hot rod magazine tested 5 different size header tubes on a 700hp 540ci. On there combo the 2" and 2.125" were almost the same. Maybe 3or 4 horse on the very top end (6500) Very interesting. They added 18" collector extensions and picked up like 30ftlbs. of tq. Low to mid range. I believe every size had significant gains with extentions. Much more then primary tube size. Check it out. Google it. (Hot rod header test) .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 9:04 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

The article that the guy mentions above was great as they tested the headers you are talking about. There was no tq difference or minimal between the 2 inch and 2 1/8 and it was like a 9 hp difference up top. If you are running an exhaust probably wont matter. Also what size engine do you have, as this was a 540 they tested. I would say go with 2 inch as they will fit better and not worth the trouble. Also not sure what year Chevelle you have, but going to 2 1/8 means a pesky tube has to go around a frame (1964-1967) to fit (unless you do Lemons). Base on the article the breakpoint is like 700-725 hp for the 2 1/8 but it was not like a huge difference at that power level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 530 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.