Dart SHP 401" Twin Turbo
8.24 at 169 street car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 11:37 AM

Re: 555 What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseat69 View Post
Took so long to get this stuff back from the machine shop I built a 496 that my dad passed on to me and the new 555 I finished today is sitting in the corner mocking me. So anyway lets get some educated guesses on HP here so I dont have to spend $500 on dyno time . Personally I'm thinking 750HP/700TQ ish. Havent decided what to put it in yet and I prefer the drag strips MPH dyno. Anyhoo Ive got a '69 Chevelle I'm building for a friend taking up half my garage so it'll have to wait a bit.

Dart 4.560" Bore
20 CC dome custom race tec nitrous dome forgings with .043 sealed power rings gapped .030". Exactly 11:1 CR
6.385" Scat H beams with ARP 2000 bolts
Manley 4.25" forged crank
Hydraulic roller Cam specs as listed below. usual 1.7 AFR roller rockers, stud girdle 180/480 springs
AFR 325 chamber CNC heads
Holley strip dominator
1050 Pro Systems 4150
locked out timing 34 ish
If you told me you wanted 750 then it will make 750HP.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Yeah I think it will be a nice 10 flat motor.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:26 PM
Tech Team
Dave

My 555 is very similar and I had it on the dyno! Recommend it to anyone, but here are the specs:

Dart Block 4.560 bore
10.3:1 compression SRP pistons
6.385 Rods
4.25 Crank
AFR 325 CNC heads using the springs that came on them
Dart 4150 Intake
4150 Pro Systems 1050 carb
Timing locked at 34* (verified on dyno to provide the most HP)
Straub Solid Roller 253/263 @ .050, 722/705 Lift, 107 LS

After 12 dyno pulls we got 764 HP @ 5900 rpm and had over 700 torque from 4400 to 5600 with peak at 738 @ 4900. Made 14 more HP with a 1" spacer but no room under the hood for it. (71 Camaro with 4" cowl) I had told Chris I wanted 750 HP and to keep the RPM's down, he provided that and them some! Now to get it to hook!!
fr8dog, backseat69 and Jeffs68ss like this.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
That may happen but the engine was initially built for my '72 Camaro as a full on street car and the strip dominator and 4150 are all that will fit under the cowl hood with almost no room to spare especially with the nitrous plate. That and Ive run a Dominator ...or tried to run a dominator...on several occasions in the past on street cars and never have really been able to get it to work all that well. WOT no problem. Stop light to stoplight in traffic not so much.

Theres always the "Thats not enough " crowd but I'm not going to put a 10 point cage in anything I drive on the street ever. Slower than 9.99/135 is going to be it and the local track is the closest one for 100 miles and they are hardly ever open. When it is open 8-10 times a year its 300-400 cars with MAYBE 3 runs a night , terrible prep, etc. Not everyone has good drag strips.
Maybe you might consider a different Dominator. I have run an 1150 2 circuit for years with outstanding driveability. I could idle until the Cows came home with no issue.
Pat_McNeil likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Not everyone has good drag strips.[Quote]
You're preaching to the Choir here.
Fwiw, your roads are likely better than ours are. We are usually limited in obstacle free driving.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Maybe you might consider a different Dominator. I have run an 1150 2 circuit for years with outstanding driveability. I could idle until the Cows came home with no issue.

Still wouldnt fit. Not in the Camaro anyway without going to a taller hood which I dont see the point in if it will run 10 as is..
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtlips408 View Post
Hey Dan any specifics on what the changes you would make?
I leave that to the pro's. I have my personal mistakes to contend with. The current 565 makes plenty of power however, but for the same money could have made considerably more. All because I didn't want to buy another intake manifold. That said, at this point, the chassis is the limiting factor.
I understand the OP not wanting to cage the car but realistically how much safer are you at 10.01 than you are at 9.50 with a 5 or 6 point roll bar?

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 1:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Its really not a question of safety at the track. They have their rules and I follow them. Its driving on the street the other 97% of the time that is the issue. I'm 6'5" and my head rubs the headliner as it is. Having a steel tube inches away from my head is unsafe especially for side impact collisions when not wearing a helmet. I am not alone in my feelings that full cages are not safe for street cars. Roll bars sure but not with the hoop. Had one in there to begin with and cut it out. It became pretty clear early on that wasnt going to work for frequent street driving. I draw the line between street/strip and full on race cars at 9.99/135. That is my opinion and not everyone agrees I am sure and they will build street cars the way they like.
Pat_McNeil and BossHogg69 like this.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 1:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Thats the most spring pressure Ive ever run on a hydraulic roller.
Iím running a custom hydraulic roller with 200/500 springs with 4603 Morel lifters. It pulls clean to 7000 without it feeling like itís hitting a wall anywhere along the way.

What lifters are you running?
Pat_McNeil likes this.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 1:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Same lifters
fr8dog likes this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
That may happen but the engine was initially built for my '72 Camaro as a full on street car and the strip dominator and 4150 are all that will fit under the cowl hood with almost no room to spare especially with the nitrous plate. That and Ive run a Dominator ...or tried to run a dominator...on several occasions in the past on street cars and never have really been able to get it to work all that well. WOT no problem. Stop light to stoplight in traffic not so much.

Theres always the "Thats not enough " crowd but I'm not going to put a 10 point cage in anything I drive on the street ever. Slower than 9.99/135 is going to be it and the local track is the closest one for 100 miles and they are hardly ever open. When it is open 8-10 times a year its 300-400 cars with MAYBE 3 runs a night , terrible prep, etc. Not everyone has good drag strips.
I have the same problem, the closest track is 150 miles away and I might get 3 runs on a good night. Rice grinders are taking over I feel.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 2:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 70SS View Post
I have the same problem, the closest track is 150 miles away and I might get 3 runs on a good night. Rice grinders are taking over I feel.
I dont have any problem with those guys. Theyre just doing the same thing we are but with different equipment. I do have somewhat of an issue with the NHRA safety regs though and how they apply them to what actually are street cars. In my case I just roll with it and keep the car over 10 because I really believe that full hooped cars are patently unsafe as hell for street driving without a helmet. No biggie I can go over 10. Its when those kids in Hondas with turbos get thrown off the track for running faster than 11.50 and told not to come back until they put in a roll bar and get the SFI stuff. They don't come back and they race on the street instead. Those guys arent competing for trophies or points. What do they care? Age old problem I'm sure . I just think there needs to be a reevaluation of the safety regs in this day and age where 9 and 10 second street cars are somewhat common. A true street class maybe not just "street" cars that never see the street with safety rules based on what is appropriate for an actual street car.
67Mike and fr8dog like this.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 2:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
I dont have any problem with those guys. Theyre just doing the same thing we are but with different equipment. I do have somewhat of an issue with the NHRA safety regs though and how they apply them to what actually are street cars. In my case I just roll with it and keep the car over 10 because I really believe that full hooped cars are patently unsafe as hell for street driving without a helmet. No biggie I can go over 10. Its when those kids in Hondas with turbos get thrown off the track for running faster than 11.50 and told not to come back until they put in a roll bar and get the SFI stuff. They don't come back and they race on the street instead. Those guys arent competing for trophies or points. What do they care? Age old problem I'm sure . I just think there needs to be a reevaluation of the safety regs in this day and age where 9 and 10 second street cars are somewhat common. A true street class maybe not just "street" cars that never see the street with safety rules based on what is appropriate for an actual street car.
good call
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 3:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Its really not a question of safety at the track. They have their rules and I follow them. Its driving on the street the other 97% of the time that is the issue. I'm 6'5" and my head rubs the headliner as it is. Having a steel tube inches away from my head is unsafe especially for side impact collisions when not wearing a helmet. I am not alone in my feelings that full cages are not safe for street cars. Roll bars sure but not with the hoop. Had one in there to begin with and cut it out. It became pretty clear early on that wasnt going to work for frequent street driving. I draw the line between street/strip and full on race cars at 9.99/135. That is my opinion and not everyone agrees I am sure and they will build street cars the way they like.
Don't worry, age will age will make you shorter eventually.
backseat69 likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 399 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.