BBC 6.135" rods that won't break the bank? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

BBC 6.135" rods that won't break the bank?

Building a L72-ish 427 for my 69. (69 512 block, NOS 6223 crank, 3964291 casting heads, forged pistons with a small dome to yield approx 9.8:1 CR, SFT cam close to stock specs, etc) Looking for a good set of I beam rods that aren't $1000+, or cheap and require machine work to get the weight close. A local machinist recently showed me a set of "E" brand and "S" brand rods, new in the box. One set had a difference of 30g between the lightest and heaviest rod in the box. The other set was 20+ between the two. This was despite the sheets included saying that they were +/- 1g. I want stock length (6.135) and I beam style. The engine should make 450-475 at the crank and never see more than 6500 RPM.

Thanks in advance.

1972 SS 454 Chevelle - 468/M21/3.73
1969 Malibu L48/M20/3.31 -> L72 swap
1968 Malibu 307/PG -> LQ9/80E swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
How do you retire from something you rarely do?

Its like a welfare reciepiant saying there done working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: BBC 6.135" rods that won't break the bank?

Call, Email, or Text. Mike Lewis AKA Wolfplace he is a dealer for scat and other brands. Get a price on a set of scat procomp rods he will make sure the weight is dead on before shipping them to you. The rods are real good for 700-750 hp. He will take care of you.

Lewis Racing Engines

There are other's here as well like Chris and even Vortechpro if you prefer all are fine people to deal with and will get you what you need.
66rat, 427L88, Wolfplace and 1 others like this.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy rpm performer heads, 174 B&M blower, th350 2600 stall, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc, about to be a 2.2l or 2.5l witch ever I come by cheaper
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

since you're building a stock engine why not use the stock rods .i would put arp rod bolts in them check for cracks and have the big end resized. for what youre doing that would be as good or better than anything
Steve R and Molly's 70 like this.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
since you're building a stock engine why not use the stock rods .i would put arp rod bolts in them check for cracks and have the big end resized. for what youre doing that would be as good or better than anything
I do not have any, just a block and a crank at the moment. I have the heads as well, but just trying to assemble a complete short block for now. A friend offered me a set of stock GM rods from a late 70s GM truck 454. But, not sure they would be worth investing time and money into.

Quote:

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
Building a L72-ish 427 for my 69. (69 512 block, NOS 6223 crank, 3964291 casting heads, forged pistons with a small dome to yield approx 9.8:1 CR, SFT cam close to stock specs, etc) Looking for a good set of I beam rods that aren't $1000+, or cheap and require machine work to get the weight close. A local machinist recently showed me a set of "E" brand and "S" brand rods, new in the box. One set had a difference of 30g between the lightest and heaviest rod in the box. The other set was 20+ between the two. This was despite the sheets included saying that they were +/- 1g. I want stock length (6.135) and I beam style. The engine should make 450-475 at the crank and never see more than 6500 RPM.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Brian, am building a pair of 427's today, one for a Chevelle the other for a '69 Vette. Both will be using the same heads, 291 square-ports.

Do yourself a big favor and go right to a 6.385" rod and the corresponding piston
with a 20 cc dome and a 1.520" C.H. Excellent pump-gas combo.

These will make easily above 500 HP using a retro-hyd-roller, now's the time to use a stepped-nose cam (if you go roller) with a thrust-plate from a MkVI unit!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you check around you should be able to get a nice package, I-beam bushed rods, 2618 forged pistons, and a file-fit ring pack w/o having to break-the-bank??
427L88 likes this.

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi Brian, am building a pair of 427's today, one for a Chevelle the other for a '69 Vette. Both will be using the same heads, 291 square-ports.

Do yourself a big favor and go right to a 6.385" rod and the corresponding piston
with a 20 cc dome and a 1.520" C.H. Excellent pump-gas combo.

These will make easily above 500 HP using a retro-hyd-roller, now's the time to use a stepped-nose cam (if you go roller) with a thrust-plate from a MkVI unit!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you check around you should be able to get a nice package, I-beam bushed rods, 2618 forged pistons, and a file-fit ring pack w/o having to break-the-bank??
Thanks Gary. Why do people seem to favor the 6.385 rod length vs. the factory 6.135 length? I was hoping to spend $1000 or less on rods/pistons/rings - is that possible without buying cheap junk? It is a 4 speed car, and will be driven hard from time to time.

Quote:

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

if you are using stock compression height pistons you need stock length rods. those truck rods will work fine if you have a good machinist you deal with to prep the rods. buying new rods doesnt guarantee they will be machined properly. check everything
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:20 PM
Tech Team

All else being equal, longer rods mean a shorter piston, which means a lighter piston. This is particularly important since the motion of the piston is all reciprocating, vs the rods that are a hybrid of reciprocating and rotational. Put differently, reciprocating weight is the hardest possible on the bottom end, so a little longer (and heavier) rod to shave weight off the pistons is almost always a good compromise.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
if you are using stock compression height pistons you need stock length rods. those truck rods will work fine if you have a good machinist you deal with to prep the rods. buying new rods doesnt guarantee they will be machined properly. check everything
that is why I suggested who I did he checks everything before sending them out.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy rpm performer heads, 174 B&M blower, th350 2600 stall, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc, about to be a 2.2l or 2.5l witch ever I come by cheaper
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 6:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Brian, If you are building a street engine that will be "driven hard from time to time" you do not need 2618 racing pistons, bushed rods and a roller cam. Stock GM rods are all but free for the asking, use Speed Pro forged small dome pistons, off the shelf rings, Clevite 77 bearings and flat tappet solid or hydraulic cam (I love solids) and kit. Have your machinist install new rod bolts, hang the pistons and balance the rotating/reciprocating assembly.

Put it together and go have some fun!
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 8:29 PM
Tech Team

Brian, GM offered 3 different rods, the std rod in 396, 427, etc lower HP applications, the "dimple" rods used in the HP applications. and then there are the "thumb" rods which were used in their larger trucks. They were called "thumb" rods because the recessed area around the big end is about the width of your thumb and had more meat around the rod bolts. For a budget build the "thumb" rods with ARP bolts are a good alternative to the more expensive "dimple" rods.

Stock vs thumb rod

http://image.superchevy.com/f/104066...cting_rods.jpg

Article the image came from

Chevrolet 396 Big Block - Super Chevy Magazine

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 9:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

I would talk any and all of my customers out of building a pressed-pin build any more due to the fact you can buy 8 new rods with bushings and ARP bolts for under 350.00 for most BBs. And if pistons are on the menu you have the log-rod option in many cases.

This allows assembling the unit without having to press the pistons/rods together and is a "positive" when chasing HP.

The cost of a set of ARP rod bolts and the cost of installing the bolts and resizing 8 rods comes very close to the cost of 8 new Eagle/Scat bushed rods. We rarely sell just rod bolts anymore!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. For example a piston/rod pkge including 2618 forged pistons, Mahle file-fit rings, Eagle/Scat bushed rods, and set of rod brgs, can be had for under 1000.00 for everything and you end up with all NEW components. Most times a lighter-weight piston and ring combo as a plus!

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 12:23 AM

Been looking at parts myself (1971 454) and am in the same boat as yourself. My intention is not to advertise, but I found a scat rotating assembly on ebay for decent money. Wont bother you with the details, but it may be worth looking into. I am still in pursuit of parts myself and this is an interesting combo. Hope it helps. As an open question, if this is a against the rules just let me know. Don't want my first reply to be in non-compliance. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBC-454-ROT...c/331537352494

On that note anyone else deal with this particular seller? I'd like to avoid scammers, but honestly been having good luck with parts from Ebay sellers lately.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 1:31 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Yes, Skip White is well known to among the worst of ebay vendors. He is the original vendor of the $50 "fake HEI" among other things. Also well known for substituting white box china stuff stuff into kits like this. Vendor to be avoided, IMO.

Try Mike Lewis at Lewis racing engines. you'll get what your supposed to get and he's reasonable. His balancing work is second to none. He takes the time to weigh out both ends of each rod and all the pistons instead of just using the numbers on the boxes. He's the real thing, proven by members here many times.
66rat, Steve R, Wolfplace and 1 others like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 7:46 AM
Senior Tech Team

^ not a fan of Skip but he has the best prices I've found on Scat ProComp rods. All that I have bought from him have checked out fine, they're not "seconds".
It's the best bang-for-the-buck rod out there and IIRC, I got my last set from Skip for $305 shipped.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 378 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.